Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Wiper Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any of you done a hard reboot yet? If not try doing that by changing your wheel/tire size and letting the car do the reboot. Don't forget to change your wheel/tire size back when your done.
I've tried the button dances, a power down, and a full service mode software reinstall. Nothing has changed: the intermittent wipers still don't work. There hasn't been enough rain since I discovered the problem to do a genuine try of the auto wipers, but there was a little bit yesterday and they didn't trigger before I gave up and hit the intermittent button so I could see again.

I would like this to be fixed too, but I don't agree that it makes the car "unsafe." Worst case, you have to leave the wipers on continuous mode and you'll just wear out wiper blades more quickly.
If I were going to have a lawsuit shaped concern over this, it would be that a feature on the window sticker was taken away by a software update. The window sticker text is: 'Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers'
They are not speed sensitive, rain detecting, or intermittent at this point.

I'm not there yet. Going to see if the big holiday update includes a fix before I start to get really grouchy.

I've tried the button dances, a power down, and a full service mode software reinstall. Nothing has changed: the intermittent wipers still don't work. There hasn't been enough rain since I discovered the problem to do a genuine try of the auto wipers, but there was a little bit yesterday and they didn't trigger before I gave up and hit the intermittent button so I could see again.
I too have done about everything that can be done from a reset standpoint without success (although I did not change my wheel size - just the thought of that to try and get my wipers working makes a guy that grew up with carburetors wince).

Yesterday I drove for almost 4 hours in everything from a drizzle to an all out monsoon. The wipers stayed on the "intermittent two" setting for the bulk of this trip. At different points in the trip I was on auto wiper beta and operating with that disabled. I did not get a single wipe out of them for the whole trip without my own manual intervention. It was a miserable trip made worse by the lack of wiper function.

Another software update for us and still broken, in fact on our 2016 models this latest update seems to have killed all of the Traffice Aware Cruise capability to, now a single pull trys to do self driving and it almost immediately disconnects, there appears to be no way to emulate the old single pull just keep a speed and let me steer mode now. I used that a ton and engaged the double pull only when traffic slowed down to stop and go. About a year an a half ago or so the autosteer got so bad that I file on average three or four bugs each 30 minute trip I try and use it (mostly freeway).

I just got 2023.44.30.4 on my 2020 Model S(I never get the latest software). If I wasn’t lazy(and it being almost midnight) I would take it out for a drive. Strange how happy I will be if the wipers are working correctly rather than annoyed with them getting broken in the first place and taking so long to fix. Plus I get FSD 11.4.9 to play with. I just hope the new Autopilot warnings are not to intrusive.

I just got 2023.44.30.4 on my 2020 Model S(I never get the latest software). If I wasn’t lazy(and it being almost midnight) I would take it out for a drive. Strange how happy I will be if the wipers are working correctly rather than annoyed with them getting broken in the first place and taking so long to fix. Plus I get FSD 11.4.9 to play with. I just hope the new Autopilot warnings are not to intrusive.
Please report back.

It came to my car last night. The update brought back both the auto wipers and the manual intermittent mode when the auto wipers are disabled in the menu. It's frustrating that the feature went away, of course. At least it came back, and there's a resolution on the horizon for everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG