Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Model 3 vs New Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TMC forum, I’ve been a long time lurker of the site and have appreciated all the great info that has been shared. Hoping the community can give me some insight on an inventory Model 3 offer I have.

Here’s the specs:
LR Model 3 with black exterior and black premium interior
19” sport wheels
Autopilot
2656 km
$60,690

Now, I’m being told the Autopilot is the new version that is advertised on the order page and not the prior Enhanced Autopilot.

Pros:
- New build would be $64,400, so save $4k
- Wasn’t planning on purchasing autopilot so that would be a freebie

Cons:
- Would prefer MSM colour
- The OA I spoke with said the car has normal wear but hinted at possible paint chips.
- Also am not interested in the sport wheels. I’ve never done a test drive and the idea of extended range of the aero wheels appeals to me, but this may be a pro.

If I were to build new I’d be at 60,400 with the colour I want but no autopilot. So the cost is close to what I was thinking originally.

Would love to hear opinions if this is a good deal or not. I certainly don’t need the long range and have debated on the SR+, but am worried I’ll regret not getting the bigger battery in a few years. I also live in Edmonton where the recent bout of -30 has me worried about range loss in the cold.

Thank you, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

Did u check out the black exterior color, do u like it?

You are the one that have to drive the car. it's important that you like what you are getting at.

if you add the Alberta tax, which is cheap 5%, you pay $64,000 ish.

Couple of things to consider

1/ If you order a new one before Next Monday I think, you still get the discounted price, after Monday, it will goes up by 3%
2/ Long Range is important esp in Edmonton (I lived in Edmonton for over 10 years before, so I know how winter is over there). Spend the extra to get the long range, you won't regret it. Range is very very important in EV.

That is, I would suggest you to get a new one, not the inventory one. Autopilot is nice if you tend to drive along the highway 2 a lot. That highway is very boring, straight line all the way, better to let the autopilot do the driving for you. lol.

Like ben1628 said, long range is important and if you get that at similar price, would suggest taking the LR. I never thought I'd need the mileage in the long range, what ends up happening is we enjoy driving the M3 than ICE, more comfort and much lower fuel/charge cost, so we end up driving it on all our trips and leaving the ICE at home. The range comes in handy when you need it, makes trip planning easier and less range anxiety, especially in winter, had a couple of 800km trips and it was great but basically losing 1/3 of the range when it's cold, LR makes life easier. Just bought the AP so have never tried it on a trip yet, but I'm sure I'll get to love it, for your deal it's almost like getting a free highway chauffeur.

I paid $7+ more for the same config but with rebate. Would seriously consider it if I were you if you don't hate the black exterior.

Thanks for the replies, and the insight.
- I’m not sold on the colour (don’t hate it, but at that price would prefer exactly the car I want) or the wheels (prefer efficiency of aero’s)
- I’m not sure the “free” autopilot is worth it. If it was the previous version of autopilot with summon and auto park then maybe, but I have a short 8km commute (each way) that wouldn’t involve using autopilot. I’m not saying I’d never have situations that it could assist with, but I don’t know it’s enough to cement this as a must buy.

I also really appreciate the comments on range as this is something I’ve been wavering on. With my short commute I don’t know if it’s worth spending an extra $8,100 for the 140km (over the SR+). As this will be a city commuter 90% of the time, it’s hard to determine if the range will be enough for the other 10% (with regular stops for charging) or if I’ll just regret not having the LR.

Thankfully the Model Y reveal is tonight to ease my decision lol

- I’m not sold on the colour (don’t hate it, but at that price would prefer exactly the car I want) or the wheels (prefer efficiency of aero’s)
- I’m not sure the “free” autopilot is worth it. If it was the previous version of autopilot with summon and auto park then maybe, but I have a short 8km commute (each way) that wouldn’t involve using autopilot. I’m not saying I’d never have situations that it could assist with, but I don’t know it’s enough to cement this as a must buy.

I also really appreciate the comments on range as this is something I’ve been wavering on. With my short commute I don’t know if it’s worth spending an extra $8,100 for the 140km (over the SR+). As this will be a city commuter 90% of the time, it’s hard to determine if the range will be enough for the other 10% (with regular stops for charging) or if I’ll just regret not having the LR.

Because your commute is so short I would recommend the SR+. I lived with both a gen 1 and gen 2 chevy volt with 'only' ~60km and 80 km of range respectfully. Over 100,000km combined with both cars and I was at something like 96% EV use, less than 5,000km on the gas backup. If the SR+ was available when I purchased it would have met my needs easily. As it is now, even in the winter with a 65km daily commute I only have to charge my AWD every 3-4 days. One thing to consider tough is if you like the performance boost on the LR and the better interior as well. If those things matter to you the 8k savings starts to become less.

As others have said, the decision is up to you regarding the paint colour. Have you seen both colours in person in different lighting conditions? All m3 colours look quite good IMO. Personally I changed 3 times after seeing them in person. Started MSM, then went Blue, and ultimately settled on White which I'm really happy with.

Regarding the comment about potential wear/paint chips. Look at that closely. Perhaps you can get Tesla to touch them up if they are bad. Its not worth the savings if its not the colour you want and there are stone chips in the front/hood. Good luck!

Because your commute is so short I would recommend the SR+. I lived with both a gen 1 and gen 2 chevy volt with 'only' ~60km and 80 km of range respectfully. Over 100,000km combined with both cars and I was at something like 96% EV use, less than 5,000km on the gas backup. If the SR+ was available when I purchased it would have met my needs easily. As it is now, even in the winter with a 65km daily commute I only have to charge my AWD every 3-4 days. One thing to consider tough is if you like the performance boost on the LR and the better interior as well. If those things matter to you the 8k savings starts to become less.

That’s really good know about your use in winter, thank you for sharing. There was a great video posted last night comparing the interiors of partial premium vs premium. They’re very similar which makes SR+ feel like a great value.

As others have said, the decision is up to you regarding the paint colour. Have you seen both colours in person in different lighting conditions? All m3 colours look quite good IMO. Personally I changed 3 times after seeing them in person. Started MSM, then went Blue, and ultimately settled on White which I'm really happy with.

Regarding the comment about potential wear/paint chips. Look at that closely. Perhaps you can get Tesla to touch them up if they are bad. Its not worth the savings if its not the colour you want and there are stone chips in the front/hood. Good luck!

I have seen most of the colours in person and have also gone back and forth. As for the paint chips, they were ambiguous about the car having any, but adamant that if there were any they would not repair them. They recommended I get the car wrapped as then whoever does the wrap would probably touch up the paint chips for free.

Easy then.

1/ Get the color you like
2/ Get SR+
3/ Order it before Monday to get the best price.

Anything else is a bonus and you don't really need it. At only 5% GST, you save a lot.

Range is not going to be a problem for you, assuming you can charge it at home if needed.

Congratulation !
I won't sweat too much the range thing. Although more is always better, you'll find that with 240 miles you can plan some long trip with -15c without wasting a whole lot of time. Try abetterouteplanner, it will show you what you can do. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks everyone for the input. We ended up ordering a SR+ in Black with the intent of getting it wrapped in XPEL Stealth (preferred matte black over matte MSM).

Order was placed around 10:20 this morning and just received delivery date of the 26th. Shocked to see such a quick turnaround!
Congrats, nice to see the wait time for SR isn't rediculous. It was 4-6 months when I ordered mine, and I assumed SR would have been longer since more people were waiting for that. They must have been building inventory for a while maybe? They are building more per week now too. Either way, bonus for you and welcome to the family (cult)! :)

Reactions: corlaandstan
Thanks everyone for the input. We ended up ordering a SR+ in Black with the intent of getting it wrapped in XPEL Stealth (preferred matte black over matte MSM).

Order was placed around 10:20 this morning and just received delivery date of the 26th. Shocked to see such a quick turnaround!
Stay tuned to the federal budget tomorrow to see what’s happening with the rumoured 5k ev incentive and the effective date.