Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Model S or New Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is going well. I had a question I was hoping I could get some insight for from all of you. About a week and a half ago, my wife and I went on a Model S test drive. We drove in a P90D with 21 inch wheels. I loved the car and was surprised at how comfortable and quiet the ride was considering the tire size as I was always told that the larger the wheels, the rougher the ride. I also thought the car would feel bigger than what it was. I mean, I know it is a big car, but sitting in it, it did not feel that large, especially on the inside in the driver's seat.

Anyway, I got a call today from a Tesla Rep asking me my thoughts about the Model S and I told him that my wife and I liked the car very much and spoke about the possibility of purchasing a Model S. I told him that the Model S is out of my price range and I do not want a CPO as I would like to take advantage of the tax credit. He informed me about the Inventory cars that they sell, where I can get a practically new Model S at a reduced price and still benefit from the tax credit. This option sparked my interested and I told him what I was looking for in a Tesla.

I know that I would not be able to get all the options in the Model S that I would in the Model 3 due to the Model S being a more expensive car. I also told the rep that I doubted he would be able to get me a car with the new front end in my price range, but if he could I would definitely think about it.

My question to all of you is this, would you purchase an inventory model S knowing that some options would be missing but you would get the tax credit or would you get the Model 3? I mean, I know the Model S is the "better" car, I guess it would be cool to have it, I guess it would best to see what he is able to find before I make a decision and also to wait till July to see what the Model 3 will offer and the cost of those options.

Thank you all for your time and options!

Kal

Very close to the same scenario. My wife and I are doing another test drive next week. We drove one last year and figured we would get one when my current lease is up.

I have a model 3 reservation, but have the ability and "permission" to get the S. I have a feeling after our test drive next week the advisors are going to throw out some options that will be very difficult to ignore since we will be nearing the end of the window for Q2 delivery on inventory units.

My last hang ups are mostly on the price and how wide the darned thing is. I really don't like the pictures of the interior of the 3 at all. I hate the idea of being stuck with the "iPad on a stick" dashboard when the interior of the S is so nice.

Anyway, I guess we will see next week. In the meantime, good luck with your decisions. Either way you'll be getting a pretty cool car.

pkalhan, if you can make the mdl S work for you-and you really want it and can pay it-get it.
"Model S will always be a better car than mdl 3" - elon musk
Don't misunderstand-a 2030 model 3 might be better than a 2017 mdl S.
I went with a model S over 2 model 3s. One much more range with 100d and two-no wait and better car.
Now we will wait for the bugs to get out of model 3 and wait a couple more yrs.
I have don't likes about the car-too large for parking for me barely fits in my garage. I had to put up wood blocks to make sure I stop at the right point so I can close my garage door. Side by side 2 model S barely fit in 18' wide garage. Getting in and out can be a massive pain in the rump when the door doesn't open a whole lot. As you get older you think of these things.
In the end, we will end up with one model 3 in 2020 and my model S which is coming next week. Right now we have 2 Ss-have had a total of 4 Ss (including my 100d that's coming).

Just a quick glance the $10k to $20k discounts are all on the P100D's that still average around $125k. The 75D'd have about a $7,500 discount but that was based on the price before 60's were discontinued and you are still paying around $85,000.

@Trips right and that is way over my budget. The guy was very nice and did not pressure me at all, but I did tell him that I do not think he will be able to find me a Model 3 in the price range I am looking at, but if he is willing to look, happy hunting my man. Also, I think it would be wise to wait and see the final reveal of the Model 3 before making any decision.

Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is going well. I had a question I was hoping I could get some insight for from all of you. About a week and a half ago, my wife and I went on a Model S test drive. We drove in a P90D with 21 inch wheels. I loved the car and was surprised at how comfortable and quiet the ride was considering the tire size as I was always told that the larger the wheels, the rougher the ride. I also thought the car would feel bigger than what it was. I mean, I know it is a big car, but sitting in it, it did not feel that large, especially on the inside in the driver's seat.

Anyway, I got a call today from a Tesla Rep asking me my thoughts about the Model S and I told him that my wife and I liked the car very much and spoke about the possibility of purchasing a Model S. I told him that the Model S is out of my price range and I do not want a CPO as I would like to take advantage of the tax credit. He informed me about the Inventory cars that they sell, where I can get a practically new Model S at a reduced price and still benefit from the tax credit. This option sparked my interested and I told him what I was looking for in a Tesla.

I know that I would not be able to get all the options in the Model S that I would in the Model 3 due to the Model S being a more expensive car. I also told the rep that I doubted he would be able to get me a car with the new front end in my price range, but if he could I would definitely think about it.

My question to all of you is this, would you purchase an inventory model S knowing that some options would be missing but you would get the tax credit or would you get the Model 3? I mean, I know the Model S is the "better" car, I guess it would be cool to have it, I guess it would best to see what he is able to find before I make a decision and also to wait till July to see what the Model 3 will offer and the cost of those options.

Thank you all for your time and options!

Kal
I was in similar situation and decided to stretch my budget and go for the bare-bones (this is still an amazing vehicle that will blow away any ICE) new Model S 75 ... only option i went for on delivery was paint...you can get new model S for ~$ 70K before tax credit ...depending on your state I am in NY the tax on the Model S was over $6K so I will pay ~$76K in 2017 with a $7.5K tax refund in 2018...so bottom line i will end up out of pocket ~$68.5K.... and i will have the car next week ... not sure how long you will be waiting for model 3 ... and if you go M3 you will be a first year very early adopter from a brand new assembly line so there is more inherent risk in model 3 first year cars.

also the interest rate on the Telsa loan is quite attractive at 1.49% so that will add a couple thousand depending on your borrowing needs if you need to take a loan

As far new inventory cars are concerned most have a lot of the expensive options installed ... that at least for me were not necessary...as far as SW features AP and FSD they can be purchased later if the budget is tight ... a new Model S has all the HW in place to support future SW upgrades

I know there have been many post speculating on M3 features and price models you may want to search for those also

Hi @Zero CO2 and everyone else, thanks for the posts and opinions, I appreciate it. I think I will wait on the Model 3. I reserved it in person on April 2 so not too long after the reveal. The cost of the Model S is just more than what I feel comfortable paying. My wife and I are not wealthy by any means, but do a great job with our finances and saves as much as we can and try to minimize debt as much as possible, I just can't take the chance or feel comfortable financially stretching my finances that much LOL.

So, in the end, I will play with the cards I was dealt with and get a new Model 3 and will enjoy every bit of it, nothing wrong with that.

Hi @Zero CO2 and everyone else, thanks for the posts and opinions, I appreciate it. I think I will wait on the Model 3. I reserved it in person on April 2 so not too long after the reveal. The cost of the Model S is just more than what I feel comfortable paying. My wife and I are not wealthy by any means, but do a great job with our finances and saves as much as we can and try to minimize debt as much as possible, I just can't take the chance or feel comfortable financially stretching my finances that much LOL.

So, in the end, I will play with the cards I was dealt with and get a new Model 3 and will enjoy every bit of it, nothing wrong with that.
absolutely you must be willing and able to pay ... and the last thing you want to do is go into unnecessary debt on a depreciating asset

Is there a place to find this "Inventory cars that they sell, where I can get a practically new Model S " ,which I am mentally labeling "demo", cars for sale? Or do you have to work through sales person.

Click on New Inventory on Tesla's main page. From there you can narrow down the list based on what you're looking for.

From the New Inventory page you can also get to the used Teslas.

@Jason Bourne, first off, I would like to say that I love your movies. I have all of them on Bluray!

I hope your guess is right as I was thinking the same thing. That is not too long from now, I mean I waited this long already. Just hoping by then, I will be able to get the dual motors which is a must option for me.

@Jason Bourne, first off, I would like to say that I love your movies. I have all of them on Bluray!

I hope your guess is right as I was thinking the same thing. That is not too long from now, I mean I waited this long already. Just hoping by then, I will be able to get the dual motors which is a must option for me.
Thanks. I kinda phoned it in on the last one. But the first 3 are my magnum opus

I will be facing a somewhat similar decision when my Model S lease is up in September 2018.
But at that time, I assume I will have the advantage of knowing the costs and features of the Model 3, which we do not truly know now.
So this is a classic case of what is called "decision making under uncertainty." You are trying to decide between two options , neither of which is precisely defined. No one knows yet how good Model 3 will be, its feature set, options and prices, etc. And to make a decision, one would need to compare the (vaguely known) Model 3 to a specific other Model S.

The best way to address the uncertainty, if you can, is simply to wait. the information on Model 3 will become known, and a better decision can be made.

I will be facing a somewhat similar decision when my Model S lease is up in September 2018.
But at that time, I assume I will have the advantage of knowing the costs and features of the Model 3, which we do not truly know now.
So this is a classic case of what is called "decision making under uncertainty." You are trying to decide between two options , neither of which is precisely defined. No one knows yet how good Model 3 will be, its feature set, options and prices, etc. And to make a decision, one would need to compare the (vaguely known) Model 3 to a specific other Model S.

The best way to address the uncertainty, if you can, is simply to wait. the information on Model 3 will become known, and a better decision can be made.

Yeah, unless somebody was under a very particular time pressure, I can't image having waited this long for a Model 3 and then deciding not to wait another couple months to get all the details before picking between it and a Model S.

Reactions: David29 and voltage