Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investing in SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: fiveten
Outlander Labs was raising funds for an SPV recently. They were charging 2%+2% management (i.e., it was a two tier fund, Fund A to raise capital for SpaceX round, Fund B that holds Fund A and likely other positions as well) and a 20% carry (e.g., they take 20% of any future gains). That's pretty standard VC rates from what I've seen in other investments.

I wasn't crazy about the structure as they had unilateral right to liquidate the position (e.g., you don't get a vote).

Outlander Labs was raising funds for an SPV recently. They were charging 2%+2% management (i.e., it was a two tier fund, Fund A to raise capital for SpaceX round, Fund B that holds Fund A and likely other positions as well) and a 20% carry (e.g., they take 20% of any future gains). That's pretty standard VC rates from what I've seen in other investments.

I wasn't crazy about the structure as they had unilateral right to liquidate the position (e.g., you don't get a vote).

Who were you in touch with at Outlander Labs? I'd like to get connected!

Has anyone here invested in pre-IPO shares? I'm contemplating investing through this place: https://pitchbook.com/profiles/investor/527727-61 and want to know if anyone has experience with this (current share price offered $150/share). Thanks!
Where did you see the share price, and how much digging have you done into Sand Hill Road Technologies Fund and Robert Hodgins? His LinkedIn page is essentially a stub.

There was another company called Forge Global that used to offer SpaceX shares as part of its portfolio (I assume as they came onto the market from employees wanting to cash out), but their web site no longer lists SpaceX. They do have other space companies, however. If you search the forums here, you'll find mention of Forge Global.

my opinion only - investing privately through these services is hard as the reality is that you don't have a way to determine that the value you're paying is remotely correct. You're likely buying common shares sold by an employee or ex-employee - so bottom of the Cap Table - and you have no idea what liquidation preferences, rights, or conversion of the preferred shareholders or convertible securities look like above you. and you have no way to know.

Reactions: ecarfan
OR (I only caught the 2)
BPTRX
BARON PARTNERS RETAIL
(BPTRX)
Top Ten Holdings Table
SymbolDescription% of Net AssetsSub-IndustryYTD Chg. %
TSLATesla Inc46.02%Automobile Manufacturers+124.1%
CSGPCoStar Group Inc9.46%Real Estate Services+4.4%
Space Exploration Technologies Corp.9.43%----
ACGLArch Capital Group Ltd7.04%Property & Casualty Insurance+25.9%
IDXXIDEXX Laboratories Inc5.81%Health Care Equipment+13.3%
HHyatt Hotels Corp Class A5.51%Hotels, Resorts & Cruise Lines+18.7%
SCHWCharles Schwab Corp4.26%Investment Banking & Brokerage-28.2%
FDSFactSet Research Systems Inc4.23%Financial Exchanges & Data+7.6%
MTNVail Resorts Inc4.03%Leisure Facilities+5.4%
IRDMIridium Communications Inc3.60%Alternative Carriers-6.0%
% of portfolio in top 10 holdings: 99.39%
as of 06/30/2023 (almost 3 months ago)

AND

BFGFX
BARON FOCUSED GROWTH RETAIL
(BFGFX)

Top Ten Holdings Table
SymbolDescription% of Net AssetsSub-IndustryYTD Chg. %
TSLATesla Inc14.92%Automobile Manufacturers+124.1%
ACGLArch Capital Group Ltd6.24%Property & Casualty Insurance+25.9%
HHyatt Hotels Corp Class A5.31%Hotels, Resorts & Cruise Lines+18.7%
CSGPCoStar Group Inc4.78%Real Estate Services+4.4%
Space Exploration Technologies Class A Common Stock4.72%----
MTNVail Resorts Inc4.49%Leisure Facilities+5.4%
FDSFactSet Research Systems Inc4.20%Financial Exchanges & Data+7.6%
MSCIMSCI Inc3.70%Financial Exchanges & Data+15.8%
IRDMIridium Communications Inc3.67%Alternative Carriers-6.0%
GWREGuidewire Software Inc3.56%Application Software+45.5%
% of portfolio in top 10 holdings: 55.57%
as of 06/30/2023

Interesting post regarding Starlink launch of V2 satellites
At the current rate will take 2 years to replace 4,400 old v1 & v1.5 satellites with new versions at 22 per launch and 100 launches per annum
They need Starship volume to lift v2 to 100plus satellites per launch to speed this up

Which startup companies are expected to meet Elon Musk?​

As per a Bloomberg report, startups including Skyroot Aerospace, Agnikul Cosmos, Bellatrix Aerospace and Dhruva Space said that they have received requests from the government to save the date for a meeting with

Musk. The meeting is expected to be held in New Delhi on April 22.

Furthermore, Musk's visit to India, expected to last around 48 hours, provides insight into his schedule.