Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investing in SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is Ron Barron’s fund with the most exposure in SpaceX?
the Forge 10% fee on the 500k minimum bids for private SpaceX purchases is a bit dissuasive.

I seem to recall that their Partner (3.1%) and Focused Growth (2.8%) funds hold about the same, Growth holds a little less, so you can compare and see which you would rather hold. (The Growth fund has lower fees.)

They both have significant TSLA exposure: 43% vs. 40%.

BPTRX... if you find a way to buy some as a Canadian, please let me know.

If you are putting in a sizeable amount, at least $20k, you should look to the Institutional versions, BPTIX/BFGIX, it might cost you a ~$50 purchase fee but the 0.25% lower annual fee will make up for that fairly quickly.

Edit: @st_lopes points out that everyone may not have access to the Institutional versions. I happen to via my work retirement account. (My brokerages have a large, $1-2M, initial purchase requirement.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: printf42
If you are putting a sizeable amount in you should look to the Institutional versions, BPTIX/BFGIX, it might cost you a ~$50 purchase fee but the 0.25% lower annual fee will make up for that fairly quickly.

I was under impression that the institutional shares were limited to institutional buyers. Though I guess if you’re registered as an accredited investor you may be able to get access. Still have the issue of distributors in Canada though. None of the banks or brokerages I’ve looked in to seem to have access to any of the Baron funds.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I was under impression that the institutional shares were limited to institutional buyers. Though I guess if you’re registered as an accredited investor you may be able to get access. Still have the issue of distributors in Canada though. None of the banks or brokerages I’ve looked in to seem to have access to any of the Baron funds.

Good point. It looks like E*TRADE has a $1M initial purchase requirement for them. I guess I'm lucky that my work retirement plan, held at Fidelity, let's me buy them. (And if I buy on the auto-contribute from my paycheck they don't even charge a per buy fee regardless of transaction size.)

Reactions: st_lopes

@st_lopes Have you contacted them? Non-U.S. Investors | Baron

Baron offers accredited non-U.S. investors and qualified tax-exempt U.S. investors a range of options for investing in the equity market. Our investment vehicles include SICAV funds, separate accounts, collective investment trusts, and Baron USA Partners Fund.

If you are a non-U.S. investor or qualified tax-exempt U.S. investor interested in our non-U.S. investment products, please contact Stephen Millar, VP, Head of EMEA, Institutional Sales | +44(0)7769 958822 |
[email protected]

It does say accredited, but I think it is much easier to be accredited as a non-US citizen. (But what do I know?)

It does say accredited, but I think it is much easier to be accredited as a non-US citizen. (But what do I know?)

Thanks! I hadn’t, mainly because I’m trying to find more exposure to spacex than their 3.5% of AUM. Not overly complicated to register as accredited in Canada once you reach the required asset or income thresholds.

.. at 3.1%. And 43% TSLA. I guess if you don't mind the rest of the stuff in that fund, you could sell off an appropriate proportion of TSLA and get a little bit of SpaceX exposure.

The only other simple way to get exposure, and one easily available to Canadians, would be to buy shares of GOOGL. But that’s even more diluted than the Baron funds.

Not to some of us...

BPTRX. Also has lots of TSLA.
And is doing quite well.
884A02D1-DF9F-47FA-A33E-03737CFBA3EB.jpeg

Thanks! I hadn’t, mainly because I’m trying to find more exposure to spacex than their 3.5% of AUM. Not overly complicated to register as accredited in Canada once you reach the required asset or income thresholds.

It's pretty easy in the US to get accredited. I've been through it to get into an Opportunity Zone fund last year; I didn't find the process onerous in the least. (Given of course that you meet the requirements :D)

That being said, I also discovered that there are different kinds of accredited investors, with (of course) some kinds more difficult to qualify for. I didn't explore all of those additional details to any degree - I didn't need them.

@st_lopes Have you contacted them? Non-U.S. Investors | Baron

In my experience being "accredited" is mostly a formality with most entities. Generally you just sign a statement saying you qualify. As far as I know the requirements haven't changed in decades which simply means that about 100 times as many people qualify now. If an entity is more strict than that it's in order to protect themselves should you lose money and sue them claiming you didn't know what you were doing, you were not sophisticated enough to realize the investment was not suitable for you and you lost all your money (and want it back). :rolleyes:

In my experience being "accredited" is mostly a formality with most entities. Generally you just sign a statement saying you qualify. As far as I know the requirements haven't changed in decades which simply means that about 100 times as many people qualify now. If an entity is more strict than that it's in order to protect themselves should you lose money and sue them claiming you didn't know what you were doing, you were not sophisticated enough to realize the investment was not suitable for you and you lost all your money (and want it back). :rolleyes:
Pretty sure that anyone who has been on this forum for at least 1 year “qualifies” now.

If you are putting in a sizeable amount, at least $20k, you should look to the Institutional versions, BPTIX/BFGIX, it might cost you a ~$50 purchase fee but the 0.25% lower annual fee will make up for that fairly quickly.

Edit: @st_lopes points out that everyone may not have access to the Institutional versions. I happen to via my work retirement account. (My brokerages have a large, $1-2M, initial purchase requirement.)

yeah, Fidelity says $1,000,000 minimum investment.

What is Ron Barron’s fund with the most exposure in SpaceX?
the Forge 10% fee on the 500k minimum bids for private SpaceX purchases is a bit dissuasive.
You can find better terms than that. I know I did.

Yes. At most a note from your accountant. 200k income or 1 million in assets. There are other levels beyond this which IIRC are something like 3 million in assets and 10 million in assets but those levels are nice to haves from my experience. (which is great because I'm not worth 10 million yet)

You can find better terms than that. I know I did.

Yes. At most a note from your accountant. 200k income or 1 million in assets. There are other levels beyond this which IIRC are something like 3 million in assets and 10 million in assets but those levels are nice to haves from my experience. (which is great because I'm not worth 10 million yet)

Hey I'm an accredited investor looking to get into some SpaceX SPV myself-- could you kindly PM me a contact for the fund you joined? I'm too new to the forum to PM you myself

Cheers