Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Engineering Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be a very unique slope to be able to coast all the way down. In the real world, you are going to need to use regen, and thus recapture less than 100% of the uphill energy.
Yeah, I didn't properly account for the high mass in my mental image.
If an 82k pound semi uses 1.8kWh/mile at 60 MPH then it needs regen if slope is > 1.8kWh/mile.
A 0.011 mile altitude change is 1.8 kWh and is a grade of 1.1%
Even if battery-motor regen round trip is 70% (seems low), overall is better.
5% grade:
(1.1%x100%+3.9%*70%)/5%=77%

Yeah, I didn't properly account for the high mass in my mental image.
If an 82k pound semi uses 1.8kWh/mile at 60 MPH then it needs regen if slope is > 1.8kWh/mile.
A 0.011 mile altitude change is 1.8 kWh and is a grade of 1.1%
Even if battery-motor regen round trip is 70% (seems low), overall is better.
5% grade:
(1.1%x100%+3.9%*70%)/5%=77%
Correct. I think 70% is the usually accepted number for regen efficiency. That’s pretty high considering you have road and mechanical friction losses, air speed losses, battery heating losses and generator losses.

Correct. I think 70% is the usually accepted number for regen efficiency. That’s pretty high considering you have road and mechanical friction losses, air speed losses, battery heating losses and generator losses.
Yeah, but some of those losses (road, drivetrain and air speed) shouldn't count because they would be incurred by the vehicle movement anyway. Incremental inefficiency from battery to motion due to increaed load of altitude gain and inefficiency of motive to battery conversion are the round trip loss factors.

Video also talks about limited vision of front cameras (blind spots and the major one pointed out is in front of the car). As a solution, the car will most likely remember what it sees as it drives forward and it also sees while parked with sentry mode (so it can see anything that moves into that blind space). I can see a few corner cases (i.e. low battery and disabled sentry mode and you approached the car from behind) and maybe they'll have contingencies for things like that where it warns you prior to driving forward in those instances.

I hope Tesla talks about the BOM and all up cost/throughput savings per vehicle in Q3 earnings as I think the cost is much higher (the harness used to be closer to $50 x2 and ECU was closer to ~$32 and yes, they have economies of scale vs 2015 prices that I was privy to, but can't imagine it is that low now).

Also, I wonder how close Tesla is to removing all CANbus dependent components? This would remove all legacy wiring and unlock more materially large savings per car. The big one left being body controls.
Does Tesla still use USS ECUs? I tried finding such a best on the parts site and failed. Wondered if it was integrated.

I've been wondering, what the heck do they really need the 9000 ton press for to make the Cybertruck? It's supposed to need bending machines to origami the flat stainless sheets into body shapes, not load-bearing castings like an H-beam truck or auto. It bothers me hearing that IDRA presses make the "body" of the car when the body of most cars is stamped sheet metal.
The front and rear subframes will use the castings, just like the Y.

Reactions: GSP and mongo
You talking about the Idra 9000ton casting press? It is for the rear casting as it need to be huge to handle the loading capacity.
Needs to be huge due to dimensional requirements of a truck frame. Cross sectional area of casting * injection pressure = required clamping force.
Load handling of the casting is more impacted by the height of the part which impacts the volume of the casting, but not the clamping force needed.

Last edited:
Looks like the USS were removed from the assembly lines very shortly after the announcement. First deliveries of cars without them are happening now:

EDIT: In fact it appears there are some camera changes for the USS-less vehicles:

I drive a “legacy build” (a.k.a low VIN) TM3; I hope that if/if some future software update takes away my USS and close quarters are measured with vision only, that the vision only system is run in “shadow mode” for a few months to make sure the vision only solution is a viable solution for close distance clearances.

Reactions: unk45
Does Tesla still use USS ECUs? I tried finding such a best on the parts site and failed. Wondered if it was integrated.
That is how it *was* designed as the data coming off of them was interpreted/processed by licenced proprietary embedded code from the manufacturer. Remember, gotta pay the license fee! Then the data comes into the AP/FSD ECU where it can be further processed, heuristics applied, actioned and visualized. Data was super noisy back in the day (2014).

Again, I hope Tesla says how much per car this saves them.

I think there's a possibility that there are relatively significant camera upgrades on the new 2023 model year vehicles. Maybe not HW4, but significant enough to warrant retraining features like Autopark.

If you think about it, Autopark has been vision-only since August 2021. So why is Autopark one of the features that's removed from new vehicles without USS? Now that we've seen the repeater cameras appear to have a wider angle, I think it's possible that more cameras have also been changed in such a way that Tesla now needs to either retrain or reconfigure a feature like Autopark.

I think there's a possibility that there are relatively significant camera upgrades on the new 2023 model year vehicles. Maybe not HW4, but significant enough to warrant retraining features like Autopark.

If you think about it, Autopark has been vision-only since August 2021. So why is Autopark one of the features that's removed from new vehicles without USS? Now that we've seen the repeater cameras appear to have a wider angle, I think it's possible that more cameras have also been changed in such a way that Tesla now needs to either retrain or reconfigure a feature like Autopark.
Query:
Did they remove USS from Autopark in 2021 or just add vision to it (using both)?

I think there's a possibility that there are relatively significant camera upgrades on the new 2023 model year vehicles…
10 Jun 2022 - “The components to be supplied this time will be Samsung’s version 4.0 camera modules with 5 million pixels, which show five times clearer images…Over the next few years, Samsung will be supplying its latest camera modules to be installed on Tesla’s Model 3 sedan, Model S sedan, Model X SUV and Model Y crossover as well as electric trucks such as the Cybertruck and the Tesla Semi, the sources said”

Last edited:
10 Jun 2022 - “The components to be supplied this time will be Samsung’s version 4.0 camera modules with 5 million pixels, which show five times clearer images…Over the next few years, Samsung will be supplying its latest camera modules to be installed on Tesla’s Model 3 sedan, Model S sedan, Model X SUV and Model Y crossover as well as electric trucks such as the Cybertruck and the Tesla Semi, the sources said”
So presumably this increases parts cost for the camera modules? Offsetting what's saved by eliminating the USS?