Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Engineering Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or you could just have an independent power feed per brake. 4 points. One of them starts to fail you still have a lot of braking power in the other 3 to come to a stop.

I haven't read about Brembo's design, I would be interested to know what approach they take.
This Connecting the Dots video doesn't delve in to redundancy of design, but they do discuss independent modules at each wheel that could be powered as you surmise (link jumps to time when that discussion starts)...

Reactions: bkp_duke
Or Tesla is working/buying from Niron. They often speak in the present tense stuff that is 2 years away.
We don't know of Tesla is using these motors for the initial production ramp in Mexico.

But my understanding was - permits 3 months - construction 9 months - production ramp starts in 12 months time, so no later than Q2 2024.

Old radar was helping, but hid vision's problems. Pulling it made things worse in the moment, but better long term.
New radar is so much better than old radar.

I'm about to give up on figuring out the old one's performance and just posting what the new one can theoretically do.

Green seems to be implying it will start inferior to the USS-version, but eventually I imagine each approach will have strengths and weaknesses.

Seeing videos out of Vision Park Assist. I doubt USS would return measurements for such a low curb like this one, so in that regard I think it's already superior to USS:

But it does seem to know its own limitations with objects that can move. In this video, as soon as the trash can is out of line-of-sight, it throws up the message "Park Assist Unavailable":

Edit: another interesting feature, it does have persistence of memory after being parked. So it can recall curb locations it cannot presently see: r/teslamotors - Video of vision park assist memorizing an obstacle in its blind spot and giving an accurate measurement while driving closer to it (even after being parked for a while)

Last edited:
I'm excited for my Cybertruck, but not a fan of the 4 wheel steering. I'm worried that means more alignments and increased tire wear if the alignments aren't done regularly?
Assuming they would not have used a solid rear axle if 4WS were dropped, things should not get sloppy faster with 4WS vs straight IRS.
The addition of rear steering might actually improve alignment due to additional adjustment points vs fixed length arms.
4WS could reduce scrubbing induced tire wear (marginally).

Reactions: RabidYak and JRP3
I had a random idea to check whether a large language model could help solve the interpretation of road signs for FSD. The bad news is that no, at the moment even ChatGPT cannot correctly interpret road signs. Maybe at some point in the future, though.

1680030886443.png

I had a random idea to check whether a large language model could help solve the interpretation of road signs for FSD. The bad news is that no, at the moment even ChatGPT cannot correctly interpret road signs. Maybe at some point in the future, though.

View attachment 922282
GPT is technically correct.
As written, the sign excludes right on red, except from the right lane and only for 2 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. 3 pm is outside those windows.

Ignoring the logic error, the sign specifies only the right "lane" can turn on red, not "lanes". Further, specifying lane versus the standard "no turn on red" amplifies the single lane binding.

If the sign was "No turn on red Mon-Fri..." it would match your interpretation.
Words vs
2Q==(3).jpg

Reactions: MP3Mike
Isn't this describing the situation in the US?
TISA was founded on synergy among previously separate member organisations and it now ensures an international framework for the coordinated development of future standards and services. TISA was established in Dec. 2007 as a non-profit organization under the Belgian law, taking-over the activities from the former TMC forum, the TPEG forum and the German Mobile.Info project.

Here in the US, the centermost lane is 1 and increments outward.

Numbering of Freeway Lanes in California
Caltrans numbers each freeway lane from left to right. The “fast” lane is the number 1 lane. The “slow” lane (closest to freeway entrance/exits) is numbered according to the total number of lanes (anywhere from 2 to 6 in Los Angeles County).
https://www.emcins.com/assets/pdf/l...ignationsandterminologyquickreferencecard.pdf
SmartSelect_20230328_170951_Firefox.jpg

Isn't this describing the situation in the US?
No. Here is the full section:

Lanes are numbered from the curb to the middle of the road. Right hand traffic lanes are therefore numbered from the right to the left relating to the driving direction. Left hand traffic lanes are numbered from left to right relating to the driving direction.

Are we not "left hand" drive here in the US?

Left hand drive example:
1680038694443.png

Right hand drive example:
1680038721912.png

Here's a quick visual if this helps. I've seen signs constructed like this in and around DC.

chatgpt_intersection.png

I think ChatGPT understood my description, lane numbering and all, but logically grouped these phrases as "No turn on red (except from right lane Mon-Fri 7-9 am 4-7 pm)" instead of logically grouping them as "(No turn on red except from right lane) [applies only to the periods] (Mon-Fri 7-9 am 4-7 pm)." The default state is that right-on-red is allowed, so outside of the specified time periods, it's allowed from both lanes.

Even clarifying that it's constructed this way doesn't change the answer:
1680039216808.png

Last edited:
Are we not "left hand" drive here in the US?
We are "left hand drive" but my understanding is that is "right hand traffic"
Left-hand traffic (LHT) and right-hand traffic (RHT) are the practices, in bidirectional traffic, of keeping to the left side or to the right side of the road, respectively. They are fundamental to traffic flow, and are sometimes referred to as the rule of the road.[1] The terms right- and left-hand drive refer to the position of the driver and the steering wheel in the vehicle and are, in automobiles, the reverse of the terms right- and left-hand traffic.

Reactions: mongo