Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Engineering Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was thinking about drive by wire and every time they are brought up it seems like redundancy requirements are big. I think this is why the traditional steering assembly has lasted so long. But very possible Tesla pulls the plug with Cybertruck or Gen 3. The Gen 3 potentially lacking a steering wheel will clearly need to address this some other way.

Seems like they could run 2 buses, each would control one side of the vehicle and there would be a bus for each side. For most accessories, there wouldn’t be redundant signals, but for steering, braking, and other safety related equipment you would signal on both busses. Brakes and steering controllers would be able to act on signals from either bus.

Essentially making the actual brake pedal and steering wheel the only single point of failure. Even there Tesla could have FSD take control if there is a steering wheel failure.

Reactions: scaesare
Was thinking about drive by wire and every time they are brought up it seems like redundancy requirements are big. I think this is why the traditional steering assembly has lasted so long. But very possible Tesla pulls the plug with Cybertruck or Gen 3.
More accurately installs the plug ;) I'm assuming the rear steering for Cybertruck is drive by wire with a default return to straight mechanism.

Reactions: Ogre and mongo
The wire harness patent seemed to indicate a bidirectional power flow loop, with each node potentially being able to receive data and power from 2 separate directions, Hence a single break in the harness would not necessarily knock a node offline, From the node to the device being controlled is likely to be a single set if wires, but a short run.

I'm not really convinced electronically controlled brakes will be less reliable than hydraulically controlled brakes. A single hole in the pipes can cause off a the brake fluid to leak out, potentially losing all 4 brakes at once. For electronic control, the most likely failure mode is 1 out of 4.

Like everything else it can be tested and the safest path is make the rear brakes electronic first, keeping the front brakes hydraulic until reliability is confirmed in real world use.

The wire harness patent seemed to indicate a bidirectional power flow loop, with each node potentially being able to receive data and power from 2 separate directions, Hence a single break in the harness would not necessarily knock a node offline, From the node to the device being controlled is likely to be a single set if wires, but a short run.

I'm not really convinced electronically controlled brakes will be less reliable than hydraulically controlled brakes. A single hole in the pipes can cause off a the brake fluid to leak out, potentially losing all 4 brakes at once. For electronic control, the most likely failure mode is 1 out of 4.

Like everything else it can be tested and the safest path is make the rear brakes electronic first, keeping the front brakes hydraulic until reliability is confirmed in real world use.
All brake systems are dual loop, one hole still gives braking on two wheels.

Reactions: JRP3 and MC3OZ
All brake systems are dual loop, one hole still gives braking on two wheels.
Good point, but I still wonder if there is a scenario (with a single hole) where all of the fluid can leak out, or at least where the fluid level can drop, or air bubbles can be introduced. They have probably though of that, I imagine there would be some kind of valve to shut the leaking section off from the good section?

Good point, but I still wonder if there is a scenario (with a single hole) where all of the fluid can leak out, or at least where the fluid level can drop, or air bubbles can be introduced. They have probably though of that, I imagine there would be some kind of valve to shut the leaking section off from the good section?
Yep, master cylinders have two sections so you can't lose all the fluid in both.

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ and JRP3
I think electronic brakes might need 2 separate independent power feeds per caliper, each with it's own backup power source near the calipers, and redundant signal lines. That way if one power or signal line fails there is a backup, if both power feeds to a caliper fails there is still backup power, and if the main pack goes down there would still be enough power for at least one braking event on each wheel. Maybe overkill but the extra cabling seems like cheap insurance, and possibly a super capacitor could have enough power for a one time backup event.

Reactions: navguy12 and MC3OZ
I think electronic brakes might need 2 separate independent power feeds per caliper, each with it's own backup power source near the calipers, and redundant signal lines. That way if one power or signal line fails there is a backup, if both power feeds to a caliper fails there is still backup power, and if the main pack goes down there would still be enough power for at least one braking event on each wheel. Maybe overkill but the extra cabling seems like cheap insurance, and possibly a super capacitor could have enough power for a one time backup event.

Or you could just have an independent power feed per brake. 4 points. One of them starts to fail you still have a lot of braking power in the other 3 to come to a stop.

I haven't read about Brembo's design, I would be interested to know what approach they take.

Reactions: navguy12 and JRP3

Tesla 2 years ahead?

Niron’s first offering will be followed in 2025 by a magnet with an energy product above 30 MGOe, according to Blackburn. For this he makes a rather bold prediction: “It’ll have as good or better flux than neodymium. It’ll have the coercivity of a ferrite, and it’ll have the temperature coefficients of samarium cobalt”—better than NdFeB. If the magnet really manages to combine all those attributes (a big if), it would be very well suited for use in the traction motors of electric vehicles.