TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

iPad (tablet) mount for jump seat viewing

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Theshadows, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Has anyone come up with a solution to mount an iPod to the trunk lid so the kids in the jump seats can see it?

I thought about some kind of suction cup type mount but not sure if that would really stay put that well. It would be nice if it was secure enough that it could stay in place when the trunk is opened and closed. We have the tech package so it wouldn't have to hold up to slamming the trunk but the weight shift on the suction cups I think would make them fail eventually, and I'd rather not perform my own drop test from 6' with our iPad Air.

Drilling is absolutely out and I'd prefer not to use Velcro.
  2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Dec 25, 2011
    My 4 year old holds a surface RT and doesn't have an issue.
  3. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Redding, CT
    I seem to be posting the SeaSucker options a lot; I swear I'm not a shill for the company :smile:

Here is one option that they have: Naked Flex Mount (BLACK) | SeaSucker
    Vacuum cups on both the window and the device. There's a separate one for the mini that's smaller and also a RAM mount option if you prefer that.
  4. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Natick, MA, United States
    I have been researching this for a while and have found a system that works well for our family. We have 4 year old twins that sit in the jump seat and a 6 year old that sits in a booster seat in the reat seat.

We have 2 separate entertainment zones with 2 Ipads. Each Ipad has movies/music stored on it but can access central storage using a wireless hard drive that can connect with up to 4 clients. We place the hard drive under the front seat and charge it as needed.

Zone 1 in the back seat has the Ipad mounted to the center console using a magnetic mount with protective case which is solid but easy to remove. Audio is thru a Bluetooth headphone so my wife and I can still listen to radio and carry on a conversation

Zone 2 is the rear jump seats and uses the same mount attached to a mounting disk which affixed to the rear trim with double side tape. The attachment is solid even over bumps. Audio comes from a battery powered Bluetooth speaker which is affixed via Velcro/small screw into the bottom of the footwell. The speaker position allows the seats to fold down for storage no problem. I can control the Ipad in Zone 2 from an Ipod touch mounted to the drivers visor using an app from the iTunes store.

This works really well for us and the kids love the car even more now. Pics attached. Hope it helps-best of luck.

20131208_100751[1].jpg 20131208_100810[1].jpg 20131208_100853[1].jpg
  5. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

Jul 1, 2012
    Camas, WA
    Thanks for the info, I have a couple questions: 1) can you show a picture for zone 1 (how the iPad is mounted/looks), and 2) can the bluetooth headphones work with two headphones? I thought a limitation of bluetooth was that it could only pair with one headphone. In the past, I have reverted to a simple audio splitter from the headphone jack.
  6. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Mar 16, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    I know kids are much less prone to it, but I'm getting carsick just thinking about reading on an iPad while riding backwards in the jump seats.
  7. jlucero

jlucero Member

Jun 23, 2015