TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

iPhone Music Auto Playing

Discussion in 'Model S' started by scottflys, Oct 12, 2018.

1. scottflys

scottflys Member

So I have the latest Tesla V9 update.
    iOS 12.1 as well
    I use Apple Music
    I just noticed that when I get in the S even with Slacker Radio set, my iPhone starts playing music, I can tell because the Apple Music app is on my lock screen and if I switch the Tesla to Phone, the music is already playing.
    It didn’t do this before and can drain the phone battery. I have t o swipe out or pause the music on the phone.
    Tried several things but the phone still starts to play music on it’s own.
    Anyone else notice this?

• Like x 4
  2. dpilone

dpilone Member

Yes - absolutely seeing this. I *think* if you pause the Tesla music app before you get out it won’t restart, but I won’t swear to that. Could just be that the app I was using had since been killed son nothing to resume. I’m less worried about the battery usage than I am of the hours of music I’m streaming over my phone cell plan while I’m driving with Slacker selected in the car. — Dan

3. scottflys

scottflys Member

Just did some tests
    With the app closed on my phone and stopped on the car, when I enter the car holding my phone with the lock screen shown, the app, Apple Music auto starts and plays even if the car is already playing Slacker.
    Def BUG

• Like x 1
  4. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

My Honda Odyssey does that and I hate it! I had to make a silent track called Aaa so I don't have to hear the noise before stopping it.

5. kdday

kdday Member

I concur. This is a new v9 bug

6. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

So this was driving me crazy also. But I found an article on Imore.com. I turned off Apple Car Play. And low and behold it stopped.
    Of course if you have a car that needs Carplay this wouldn’t be ideal. But I don’t think us Tesla folks care about that.
    Long story short. Try it guys. It sure worked for me.
    I won’t describe the details of how to turn off Carplay since it’s different with iOS 11 and 12.
    But you can easily google this. It’s just a few buttons in the settings.

• Informative x 1
  7. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

• Like x 1
  8. Decibelle

Decibelle Member

I turned off car play in iOS12 but it still continues (silently) to play music every time I enter the car and the Bluetooth turns on. This is after listening to slacker before leaving the car. Maybe I need to restart my phone after choosing CarPlay off. I’ll try again tomorrow.

9. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

@Decibelle
    Dang. I was really hoping that would do it to help others. Not sure why the difference. It worked great for me. I don’t think it’s anything particularly related to V9. My Volvo did the same damn thing to me and I never could find a solution.
    Sigh :-(

10. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

It has been doing this on my X since I got the car. Really aggravating to have podcasts silently playing through. In iOS 12 the CarPlay restrictions are buried in Screen Time, what if Screen Time is off? No way to turn off Car Play. My answer is to leave Bluetooth all the way off, not just disconnect, and when driving the 3 use a Shortcut to control Remote S. Not great but serviceable.

11. sharpgator

sharpgator Member

12. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

I believe you can turn off. ONLY CarPlay without turning off screen time etc.....
    In iOS 12.
    Under “allowed apps”

Attached Files:

13. scottflys

scottflys Member

Turning off Car Play seems to have worked.
    Thanks

• Like x 1
  14. sevenout

sevenout Member

Turning off CarPlay did NOT work for me. I turned it off last night after reading this thread and this morning after getting in the car my looked and music was playing on my phone even though I was streaming Slacker.

15. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

Same for me - didn't help. I sent a support request via the Tesla website. Not expecting a response any time soon though...

16. T3SLA90D

T3SLA90D Member

I have the same issue and for me it definitely started with V9. I’ve had my car for 2 years now and no issues before. Normal behavior used to be that the last used music input before exiting the car resumes after re-entering the car. I did report to Tesla support and I advise everyone to do the same so that they are enticed to fix it sooner rather than later.

17. sevenout

sevenout Member

I still have the same last music source playing when I get back in the car (which is typically Slacker). Since v9 was installed I now also have music playing over Bluetooth from my iPhone even though I’m not listening to it.

18. T3SLA90D

T3SLA90D Member

Yes that’s what’s happening in my car with my iPhone.

19. robd

robd Member

Mine as well. Only since V9. Tried turning CarPlay off worked for a day then back to silent Apple Music. Funny thing is that the app itself is not open when I double press home button.

20. sharpgator

sharpgator Member

If I use the “hey Siri” function, for a brief second after Siri hangs up, I get blasted with a word or two of whatever song is playing before the car reverts back to the radio. VERY irritating.