Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhones overheat when using console wireless charger on my Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you lay it there and aren't using your phone, it will charge slowly. If you use the phone for music, then it will get too hot and eventually stop charging. I did a test and I had a USB fan that I mounted by the pad and used the phone and charged it and it kept the phone cool enough to accept a charge and actually charged faster than if the phone just sat there and did nothing. I was thinking of getting a smaller USB fan than the one I tested. I took that one that because it was too bulky but at least I was able to determine that a cooling fan could solve the issue.

Reactions: Michael Sant
^ There are those who have reported that their phones charge better and less warm when the phones are placed on the trays upside down. Maybe that would help (though not to be easier to use the phone)?
Thx, I tried that, but it still got hot. It did charge faster, though. Not just a couple % per 30 minutes, but maybe 30% in 30 minutes. Very noticeably faster.

I had a careful look and placing the iPhone 12 upside-down (with screen still up) actually makes it rest flat on the tray. Then, the coils are closer to each other and charge faster. Make sense, but why does it get burning hot? And my wife's S21 does not get hot, only barely warm.

It seemed to charge our phones fine in the winter (Pixel 7P and 7), but now that it's warmer out, I don't see to get much charge on my 7P, but my wife's smaller 7, seems to charge better. I suspect the coils line up better on her smaller phone and mine just gets warm and the charge slows. Luckily we don't need to use it much, just on long trips. I need to swap out the usb-a cord in my console for usb-c, so I can plug it in if I need a charge.

In my opinion the overheating is a combination of many factors:

1. Non optimal alignment of the charger coils
2. Display needs to be bright in outdoor conditions (makes phone hot)
3. Phone is often in use in the car (acting as hotspot, streaming music, etc). Makes phone even hotter.

Combine all of the above and you get a phone that stops charging relatively quickly due to overheating.

I found when just charging at home in a garage with the phone on the wireless pad, it seemed to charge normally.

Basically the wireless charger Is useless a lot of the time because of all these gotchas.

Anyway, my solution was to get a Peltier cooled wireless car mount charger. That’s pretty much the only way to keep the phone cool during continuous use in sunlight. Works well but I haven’t found an ideal solution for mounting it.

In my opinion the overheating is a combination of many factors:

1. Non optimal alignment of the charger coils
2. Display needs to be bright in outdoor conditions (makes phone hot)
3. Phone is often in use in the car (acting as hotspot, streaming music, etc). Makes phone even hotter.
1. Plausible but I have no idea. Will have to take others word for it.
2. Doesn't matter if the phone screen is on or off, still overheats in a very short time and becomes VERY hot as others have said.
3. Happens rather the phone is being used or not. I can listen to the radio in the car vs bluetooth and it still happens. I pay for the premium so no need for it to act as a hotspot.

Just sharing for clarity.

I definitely believe wireless charging accelerated battery degradation on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. It would always feel hot to the touch when taking it off the charging pad. After 15 months the 12PM battery health dropped to 84%, whereas my wife's nearly 3-year-old iPhone 11 Max still had 86% health.

After that I banned the family from using the Model Y's charging pad. I blocked it with a towel. Wired charging has been faster and safer for our phone batteries.

I have some experience with an iPhone 12 Pro Max and an iPhone 14 Pro Max in a 2021 Tesla Model Y LR. Neither will charge reliably on the car's charging pad, regardless of orientation. Maybe 1 in 10 times it'll seem to work for a few minutes, and then disconnects.

Case type used or not used also seems to not matter. Other non-Apple phones do charge reliably on the charging pad. Wired charging of course works well - and faster than the charge pad.
Same for me my 3 Days old mY LR gives a one second flash and than it stops charging my iphone 13 mini

Reactions: Amos
In about 20 to 30 minutes on the console wireless charger the iPhone pauses charging due to excess heat. This happens with or with out case.
Any solution? I’ve contacted Tesla Service who claims everything is within specifications, operating normally.
I have the exact same problem with my iPhone Pro Series 8. I wonder if the charger is putting out too much charge and somehow needs to be regulated.

Reactions: Amos
I have the exact same problem with my iPhone Pro Series 8. I wonder if the charger is putting out too much charge and somehow needs to be regulated.
It is most likely an alignment issue. MagSafe helps align the coils perfectly for the most efficient wireless charging. Since the Tesla wireless charging pad doesn't really align perfectly with different phones you're going to risk inefficient wireless charging, which results in more energy wasted as heat. I stopped wirelessly charging my phones on the Tesla charging pad and blame it for the overheating and accelerated battery degradation of my previous iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Reactions: Amos and fsb1
Finally did what I was thinking of doing for a long time (see pictures).
I redirected some flow of the AC onto the phone(s).
I also dismounted the phone lid. No need on the updated center consoles.

Works like a charm. And works with the new center console too!
This solution should come standard with all Teslas.

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_210558042.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231125_210558042.MP.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20231125_153817385.jpg
    PXL_20231125_153817385.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20231125_164346806.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231125_164346806.MP.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20231125_170058798.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231125_170058798.MP.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20231125_170842609.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231125_170842609.MP.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 64
BTW this is a temperature sensor on the plate I drilled. So far I don't think it's messing the Auto AC target but I need to experiment more.
The phone is charging good even with music, Waze and screen on!!!

I'm wondering what would happen if the AC is heating in colder environment. My hope is that even heating would still cool the phone. I'm living in Miami so I'm not going to be able to test that scenario.