Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPod Touch no longer connecting via Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My iPod touch (model A1574 version 12.5.7) no longer connects to my 2019 model 3 (version 2023.38.4). Tested and the car connects to my iPhone, and the iPod connects to other devices, including other teslas. Anyone have any fixes?

I'm experiencing the same issue (iPod Touch gen 7 A2178 and OS 15.8) with my 2022 Tesla Model 3. The device also disappeared after the 2023.38.6 update was installed. Tesla service tried soft-restarting the car, resetting the car bluetooth settings and database, restarting the iPod, and a complete factory reset of the Tesla, without success. Tesla Service suspects a firmware issue. Their advice was to contact them again in a month if the issue hasn't been resolved by then.

Upvote 0
I'm experiencing the same issue (iPod Touch gen 7 A2178 and OS 15.8) with my 2022 Tesla Model 3. The device also disappeared after the 2023.38.6 update was installed. Tesla service tried soft-restarting the car, resetting the car bluetooth settings and database, restarting the iPod, and a complete factory reset of the Tesla, without success. Tesla Service suspects a firmware issue. Their advice was to contact them again in a month if the issue hasn't been resolved by then.
Good to know. I’ll open a spicy ticket to get mine on the record too.

Upvote 0
Same exact issue. I have 2 iPod touch devices - one gen 6 and one gen 7. I also have 2 Teslas - one Y and one 3. I previously had both iPods connecting to the Y, and then after the update they both disappeared and could no longer be seen. The Model 3 is newer and so I had the iPod gen 7 working with the Model 3 after I got it for a while - but now after it received the update, it also has the same issue.

We have an iPhone and a Pixel phone - both of these are still able to connect fine. With all of these data points I did some research - now my best educated guess is that the difference is Bluetooth 4.x vs Bluetooth 5.x. I believe both iPod Touch gen 6 and gen 7 have Bluetooth 4.1 - while the modern phones/devices all seem to have Bluetooth 5.0, or 5.3 etc.

So therefore my guess is they have removed support for legacy i.e. below Bluetooth 5.x devices? If that's the case, I wonder what are the chances of getting that support back? I am a huge iPod touch user for my music, and I really prefer it separate from my phone - so it would be really disappointing if I can no longer connect my iPod.

I'm going to test out some workarounds such as using a small Bluetooth transmitter device with a 3.5mm audio plug. (hopefully the one I have has Bluetooth 5.x!) But even if this does work, that will be a huge pain.

Please do let us know if you hear anything back. Also, sorry for the dumb question but - where do you go to raise a support ticket for this? I'd be happy to add myself to the record..

Thanks

Upvote 0
Same exact issue. I have 2 iPod touch devices - one gen 6 and one gen 7. I also have 2 Teslas - one Y and one 3. I previously had both iPods connecting to the Y, and then after the update they both disappeared and could no longer be seen. The Model 3 is newer and so I had the iPod gen 7 working with the Model 3 after I got it for a while - but now after it received the update, it also has the same issue.

We have an iPhone and a Pixel phone - both of these are still able to connect fine. With all of these data points I did some research - now my best educated guess is that the difference is Bluetooth 4.x vs Bluetooth 5.x. I believe both iPod Touch gen 6 and gen 7 have Bluetooth 4.1 - while the modern phones/devices all seem to have Bluetooth 5.0, or 5.3 etc.

So therefore my guess is they have removed support for legacy i.e. below Bluetooth 5.x devices? If that's the case, I wonder what are the chances of getting that support back? I am a huge iPod touch user for my music, and I really prefer it separate from my phone - so it would be really disappointing if I can no longer connect my iPod.

I'm going to test out some workarounds such as using a small Bluetooth transmitter device with a 3.5mm audio plug. (hopefully the one I have has Bluetooth 5.x!) But even if this does work, that will be a huge pain.

Please do let us know if you hear anything back. Also, sorry for the dumb question but - where do you go to raise a support ticket for this? I'd be happy to add myself to the record..

Thanks
Thanks for looking into it, let us know if any adapters work. Afaik the only ways to contact support are through the “bug report” command on the steering wheel or by opening a service ticket.

Upvote 0
Update: attempted 2 bluetooth transmitters I had already (both apparently Bluetooth 5.0) but neither worked; Ordered a very new Bluetooth 5.3 one on Amazon and attempted that today - also did not work. These transmitters all seem to work fine and my phone is detecting them etc.

So now I think it is not actually the Bluetooth version, or perhaps not only that - but perhaps somehow the Tesla software has been updated to only detect devices that are "phones", and filter out anything else? I'm not too familiar with the Bluetooth pairing protocol but perhaps the type of device is something that can be detected before you pair to it. Perhaps the idea is Tesla is trying to be "helpful" in filtering out all the "noise" of other Bluetooth devices around that may not make sense to try to pair - but having not considered that we may want to connect a simple audio player device that happens to not also be a phone?

I'm considering getting an iPhone 12 Mini which seems to be the closest thing there is to an iPod touch in terms of size etc, but also meets the phone requirement. If anyone is successfully using an iPhone 12 with their Tesla in December 2023 please let us know. Thank you!

Reactions: johnchidgey
Upvote 0
Update: attempted 2 bluetooth transmitters I had already (both apparently Bluetooth 5.0) but neither worked; Ordered a very new Bluetooth 5.3 one on Amazon and attempted that today - also did not work. These transmitters all seem to work fine and my phone is detecting them etc.

So now I think it is not actually the Bluetooth version, or perhaps not only that - but perhaps somehow the Tesla software has been updated to only detect devices that are "phones", and filter out anything else? I'm not too familiar with the Bluetooth pairing protocol but perhaps the type of device is something that can be detected before you pair to it. Perhaps the idea is Tesla is trying to be "helpful" in filtering out all the "noise" of other Bluetooth devices around that may not make sense to try to pair - but having not considered that we may want to connect a simple audio player device that happens to not also be a phone?

I'm considering getting an iPhone 12 Mini which seems to be the closest thing there is to an iPod touch in terms of size etc, but also meets the phone requirement. If anyone is successfully using an iPhone 12 with their Tesla in December 2023 please let us know. Thank you!
I’ve heard people have had better luck connecting the dongles in transmit mode then switching to receive (or was it the other way around) if you haven’t tried that.

Upvote 0

Thanks
The Tesla technician specifically checked the Bluetooth version of my iPod (4.1) and said it was compatible. My memory is fuzzy, but I think he said the Model 3 was compatible with Bluetooth 2.1 and later. The conclusion was that it wasn't a compatibility issue, but more of a software glitch that should be patched in the next patch or two.

I've received one update since (2023.44.1), but the issue hasn't been resolved yet. The technician told me to let them know if the issue hasn't been fixed in a month, so next week I'll create another service ticket via the app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Joined just to comment on this thread.
I have a 2022 Model S that lost ipod connection after updating to 38.4 as well. I'm puzzled as I've tried a lot.

1. Rebooted the car and ipod.
2. Removed car from ipod (Car no longer had the ipod for me to remove) and tried again. Ipod will find other BT connectiosna nd attaches to my headset for example fine. Does not show up in devices for the vehicle.
2. Installed the Tesla app on the iPod. it DOES work as a vehicle key which means it can connect through BT still.
3. Grabbed an older iPhone 5C to see if support for that version BT dropped. iPhone 5C DOES connect and work just fine.
4. Took the iPod from my Model Y (which has not updated and is still connected fine). That iPod ALSO does not connect with the Model S.

Submitted a support ticket and was told the BT was working fine. The chat rep then canceled my appt for service center and closed the ticket without further communication. They did the standard "Is there anything else we can help with" and ignored me when I said well it's still not fixed, so yes, I'd still like help.

I tried changing my iPod's name to see if it would find a new name and that didn't work. So I'm concluding that because it can still work on the non-connecting device as a phone key (it wouldn't connect to music though), that it's NOT an issue with the BT version, but must be a glitch in the update that killed it. I've ruled out anything else I can think of, testing the iPod with other devices, trying other iPods, attaching a phone. I don't see why I can attach a phone as music and not an iPod though. That part I don't get.

Upvote 0
I also am experiencing this problem. My phone connects via bluetooth -- but none of my iPod touches are recognized by the Tesla's bluetooth search. This is really annoying. I often listen to my own music when the Tesla music services does not receive a signal. I use an iPod touch for music since I have too many gig to put on my phone. I really hope tesla fixes this.

Upvote 0
The Tesla technician specifically checked the Bluetooth version of my iPod (4.1) and said it was compatible. My memory is fuzzy, but I think he said the Model 3 was compatible with Bluetooth 2.1 and later. The conclusion was that it wasn't a compatibility issue, but more of a software glitch that should be patched in the next patch or two.

I've received one update since (2023.44.1), but the issue hasn't been resolved yet. The technician told me to let them know if the issue hasn't been fixed in a month, so next week I'll create another service ticket via the app.
I also will be reporting this problem. I hope other also report it. We need to pressure Tesla to fix this.

Reactions: johnchidgey
Upvote 0
My ipod touch stopped connecting to Bluetooth as well. How do I report this to Tesla?
I reached out again to Tesla. The simplest route I found was to create a service appointment under Software>Other-Software & Autopilot. The technician took logs and submitted a report to Tesla.

I was also told the only other way to report the issue was to call Tesla Customer Support at 1-877-798-3752. Press option 2 for service, and then option 3 for assistance with your vehicle including software.

Edit: This prompted me to call Tesla to request an update, and I was told they couldn't see any issue linked to my account. I also discovered that the technician only took logs and created documentation. It appears he could not actually escalate the issue or report it elsewhere.

With further research, the only method I could find of submitting a bug report is via voice command in the vehicle. My suggestion is to report the bug while attempting to pair (the bug report takes logs and screenshots) once a day until someone who can do something sees the spike of bug reports and takes action. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I reached out again to Tesla. The simplest route I found was to create a service appointment under Software>Other-Software & Autopilot. The technician took logs and submitted a report to Tesla.

I was also told the only other way to report the issue was to call Tesla Customer Support at 1-877-798-3752. Press option 2 for service, and then option 3 for assistance with your vehicle including software.

Edit: This prompted me to call Tesla to request an update, and I was told they couldn't see any issue linked to my account. I also discovered that the technician only took logs and created documentation. It appears he could not actually escalate the issue or report it elsewhere.

With further research, the only method I could find of submitting a bug report is via voice command in the vehicle. My suggestion is to report the bug while attempting to pair (the bug report takes logs and screenshots) once a day until someone who can do something sees the spike of bug reports and takes action. 🤷‍♂️
The bug report in the car does not submit to Tesla. Rather it marks a pointer in your car and logs that moment so that when you do service, the technician can quickly locate the point in time the issue occured.

Doing a complaint in the service app is the quickest way to get someone to look at your issue. Calling also may work, but a lot of people have reported being on hold for long periods of time, so it might not be possible.

Upvote 0
The bug report in the car does not submit to Tesla. Rather it marks a pointer in your car and logs that moment so that when you do service, the technician can quickly locate the point in time the issue occured.

Doing a complaint in the service app is the quickest way to get someone to look at your issue. Calling also may work, but a lot of people have reported being on hold for long periods of time, so it might not be possible.
I had opened a service request to get some attention and they told me that Bluetooth was functioning and closed my request, Is there a better way to get their attention on it in app?

Upvote 0