Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRO DashCam - Model S AP2 unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was pretty stuff inside the car.
Go to the first page of this thread and you will likely understand…

I just installed an IRO AP1 DashCam in our 2015 Model S P85D for $179 + sales tax (no tariff) from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZL8LG8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very happy with the finished installation even with the issues:

1. shipped from China... but arrived in 13 days. Tracking originally showed 43 days but moved out of China fairly quickly then USPS took ~ 5 days to deliver it once it arrived in U.S.
  2. Amazon IRO DashCam only comes with a 16GB Micro SDXD card... unlike the 64GB SDXD card that comes with U.S. seller City Racer LLC ($215 + sales tax). Not an issue for me since I wanted a larger / more robust SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA which only cost $31
  3. I bought a Tesla Tap power cable and connected 10" red and black wires to its + and - taps which I used small solderless crimp on "wire nut" looking connectors which I shoved in a nook in the large black AP1 heat sink cover so only the 2 small IRO DashCam wires were inside the IRO DashCam housing Dashcam Power Cable – TeslaTap
  4. IRO DashCam has WiFi name "WIFI IRODashCam" but the 8-digit "12345678" password IRO and other TMC members provided didn't work on my iPhone 13 Pro Max running iOS 16.0.2 or my iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation / M1 CPU). I tried a couple of different passwords and discovered the 10-digit code "1234567890". VERY frustrating Waste of Time. Hopefully this tip will save the next IRO DashCam buyer
  5. Neither the LuckyCam and IRO apps would recognize the "WIFI IRODashCam" WiFi network even after selecting it and turning ON Airplane Mode... and even manually turning cellular off. Fortunately the Youmera iOS camera app worked. MORE frustration and Time Wasted.
Had IRO Electronics provided the correct WiFi password and Youmera iOS camera app this project would only have taken about an hour.

In spite of these disappointments, I'm satisfied with the IRO DashCam and Youmera iOS camera app. Glad to finally have a DashCam since the number of IDIOT drivers seems to be increasing. Hoping I never have to present my DashCam recordings as evidence but glad I'll have recordings if it happens.

Just need our P85D to last until:

• FSD becomes a safe non-Beta "crash test dummy" reality
  • new Model S comes with new batteries... hopefully 4680-Type or better
  • Vehicle to Grid becomes an option. Sure I love PowerWalls but they're now $17,000 each... and Tesla won't sell us PowerWalls without Tesla solar which they won't install on our Spanish Clay Tile roof. Catch 22
  • Tesla comes out with a successor to the Plaid so I can get a deal on an Inventory Plaid like I did on my inventory P85D
I know, I'm creaming but so far patience has paid off.

Reactions: Vinc
I just installed an IRO AP1 DashCam in our 2015 Model S P85D for $179 + sales tax (no tariff) from Amazon:

Amazon.com: IRO Dashcam for Tesla Model S AP1 Full HD 1080P WiFi G-Sensor WDR is Auto Video Recording Parking Monitoring Car DVR : Electronics

1. shipped from China... but arrived in 13 days. Tracking originally showed 43 days but moved out of China fairly quickly then USPS took ~ 5 days to deliver it once it arrived in U.S.
  2. Amazon IRO DashCam only comes with a 16GB Micro SDXD card... unlike the 64GB SDXD card that comes with U.S. seller City Racer LLC ($215 + sales tax). Not an issue for me since I wanted a larger / more robust SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA which only cost $31
  3. I bought a Tesla Tap power cable and connected 10" red and black wires to its + and - taps which I used small solderless crimp on "wire nut" looking connectors which I shoved in a nook in the large black AP1 heat sink cover so only the 2 small IRO DashCam wires were inside the IRO DashCam housing Dashcam Power Cable – TeslaTap
  4. IRO DashCam has WiFi name "WIFI IRODashCam" but the 8-digit "12345678" password IRO and other TMC members provided didn't work on my iPhone 13 Pro Max running iOS 16.0.2 or my iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation / M1 CPU). I tried a couple of different passwords and discovered the 10-digit code "1234567890". VERY frustrating Waste of Time. Hopefully this tip will save the next IRO DashCam buyer
  5. Neither the LuckyCam and IRO apps would recognize the "WIFI IRODashCam" WiFi network even after selecting it and turning ON Airplane Mode... and even manually turning cellular off. Fortunately the Youmera iOS camera app worked. MORE frustration and Time Wasted.
Had IRO Electronics provided the correct WiFi password and Youmera iOS camera app this project would only have taken about an hour.

In spite of these disappointments, I'm satisfied with the IRO DashCam and Youmera iOS camera app. Glad to finally have a DashCam since the number of IDIOT drivers seems to be increasing. Hoping I never have to present my DashCam recordings as evidence but glad I'll have recordings if it happens.

• Vehicle to Grid becomes an option. Sure I love PowerWalls but they're now $17,000 each... and Tesla won't sell us PowerWalls without Tesla solar which they won't install on our Spanish Clay Tile roof. Catch 22
  • Tesla comes out with a successor to the Plaid so I can get a deal on an Inventory Plaid like I did on my inventory P85D
Interesting experience. The unit I got a about 3 years ago from Cityracer was recognized right away by the Luckycam software. Since then I have tried a few other apps, including the IRO app, and none of them work. Sounds like they may have updated the firmware in the camera.

What was the purpose of the Tesla Tap power cable? The unit I got had the wires on the unit and I simply attached them to the connector.
How big a memory card did you get? The manual says it supports up to 64gb FAT32.

What I don't like about the IRO is the plastic housing is brittle and very very hard to snap in place and removing it is next to impossible without breaking it apart. I had to remove the IRO camera as the Monocamera assembly had to be replaced under warranty, so I ended up having to get a new IRO camera as I couldn't find a replacement housing. Also, I get a repeating click noise (about 1 per sec) when I review the video clips if I have the audio option enabled.

Same as you - some disappointments but overall I am satisfied with the camera.

Interesting experience. The unit I got a about 3 years ago from Cityracer was recognized right away by the Luckycam software. Since then I have tried a few other apps, including the IRO app, and none of them work. Sounds like they may have updated the firmware in the camera.

What was the purpose of the Tesla Tap power cable? The unit I got had the wires on the unit and I simply attached them to the connector.
How big a memory card did you get? The manual says it supports up to 64gb FAT32.

What I don't like about the IRO is the plastic housing is brittle and very very hard to snap in place and removing it is next to impossible without breaking it apart. I had to remove the IRO camera as the Monocamera assembly had to be replaced under warranty, so I ended up having to get a new IRO camera as I couldn't find a replacement housing. Also, I get a repeating click noise (about 1 per sec) when I review the video clips if I have the audio option enabled.

Same as you - some disappointments but overall I am satisfied with the camera.
The reason I powered my IRO DashCam AP1 using a Tesla Tap power cable was to have it constantly recording, especially when parked... AND not splicing into any existing Tesla wires. EASY to tap power... and easy to power off my IRO DashCam AP1 simply by disconnecting the Tesla Tap connector in the pull down compartment in the center of headliner aft of the windshield.

IRO DashCam AP1 from Amazon I bought came with a Kingston 16GB microSD C10, HC I, U1, SDCS ( part # 97085-E03.A00LF ).

I ordered a much larger better quality SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC card C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD ( part # SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA ) since my IRO DashCam will always be on which is what High Endurance Video microSDXC Cards are designed for.

Attachments

• tempImageTKYDcM.png
    tempImageTKYDcM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
I just installed at the previously mentioned much larger better quality SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC card after formatting it MS-DOS FAT (FAT 32) in macOS 12.6 Monterey Disk Utility on my 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max laptop. Plug n Play replacement of the Kingston 16GB SD card that came with my Amazon purchase from IRO Electronics.

1665540134821.png

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
I have this Iro dashcam. I like it for the most part except I think it only records for a few minutes after turning the car off. Any way to fix this especially in a public parking lot?

I cant seem to get the software to run on any current version of iOS or Android. Did they stop supporting?
I have iOS 16.4 Beta 2 and LuckCam 5.1.3 running with no issues. It has worked through all the iOS upgrades I have installed in the past 2.5 years - keeping my fingers crossed! The last LuckyCam update was 5 months ago. It does work, but it may not be compatible with something you are installing.

I have this Iro dashcam. I like it for the most part except I think it only records for a few minutes after turning the car off. Any way to fix this especially in a public parking lot?
I think instead of obtaining power from tapping the switched 12V to the rear view mirror per the IRO installation instructions, you'd have to get it from an always-on 12V source.

I don't have a Model S anymore, however, but threads about other brands of hard-wired dashcams (BlackVue, etc) should have this info.

Reactions: tesluv108
Just purchased the IRO camera on Amazon. I had similar cam I purchased about 5 years ago and it just stopped working and wouldn't turn on anymore. I wish I found this post a bit earlier as it would have saved me some time. Here's what I discovered:

Manual: IRO DASHCAM A66 PRODUCT MANUAL Pdf Download

However, as posted previously, the manual is out of date. The WiFi SID is wrong, the password is wrong, and the suggested apps do not find the camera and can't connect to it. After a couple hours of research and tinkering I found the following:

WiFi SID: DVR_WIFI
WiFi Password: 1234567890
App: Youmera (iPhone & Android)

Video is descent. Quite grainy, but good enough to identify license plates. The Youmera app is actually quite good once I figured out that was the app to use. I tried about 6 other Android apps that didn't work. Overall, I'm satisfied. Thanks to BrokerDon for his helpful post above.

• Informative
Just purchased the IRO camera on Amazon. I had similar cam I purchased about 5 years ago and it just stopped working and wouldn't turn on anymore. I wish I found this post a bit earlier as it would have saved me some time. Here's what I discovered:

Manual: IRO DASHCAM A66 PRODUCT MANUAL Pdf Download

However, as posted previously, the manual is out of date. The WiFi SID is wrong, the password is wrong, and the suggested apps do not find the camera and can't connect to it. After a couple hours of research and tinkering I found the following:

WiFi SID: DVR_WIFI
WiFi Password: 1234567890
App: Youmera (iPhone & Android)

Video is descent. Quite grainy, but good enough to identify license plates. The Youmera app is actually quite good once I figured out that was the app to use. I tried about 6 other Android apps that didn't work. Overall, I'm satisfied. Thanks to BrokerDon for his helpful post above.
Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately I can’t get the app to work. I see the WIFI and connect to it (using the shorter password, the longer one just spins and spins) but the app still does not see the camera.

I have resorted to just removing the card to use my computer when I have to review any footage…

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately I can’t get the app to work. I see the WIFI and connect to it (using the shorter password, the longer one just spins and spins) but the app still does not see the camera.

I have resorted to just removing the card to use my computer when I have to review any footage…
I have the same issue. I just take the micro sd card out and pop it into my computer when I want to view footage

I have the same issue. I just take the micro sd card out and pop it into my computer when I want to view footage
Mine works, but it is soooo slow accessing it via the app that I do the same thing - look at it on the computer.
One thing I did find out is that if you run a VPN on your phone you need to disable the VPN or the app will not connect to the camera.

Reactions: tesluv108
Hello,
I started this thread back in 2017…

Yesterday morning, I was able to get the LUCKYCAM app to work on my camera using “12345678”
Then in the afternoon I traded the car in for a HW4 MY and transferred my FSD.
However,
For me, the only useful feature was altering settings on the camera. Otherwise file management was way too slow over WiFi. I always just pulled out the memory card and reviewed and/or transferred it on to a hard drive via my MacBook.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZL8LG8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was it challenging to get the Tesla tap wire from the microphone grill area into the mirror housing for the IRO? I’m debating if the always on is worth the extra steps.
I took the microphone grill off and couldn’t see a straightforward way to get the wire to the mirror. Thanks in advance!

Was it challenging to get the Tesla tap wire from the microphone grill area into the mirror housing for the IRO? I’m debating if the always on is worth the extra steps.
I took the microphone grill off and couldn’t see a straightforward way to get the wire to the mirror. Thanks in advance!
I don't remember installing the Tesla tap wire from the microphone grill area into the mirror housing for the IRO being that challenging. I think the IRO camera replaces the Tesla mirror cover so the IRO power wires are all hidden inside the IRO assembly. Super Clean installation... Looks completely factory.

However that was 18 months ago and it has been working perfectly since. I opted to have the IRO power always on so my IRO can record when my 2015 P85D isn't on like SentryCam. Yes this requires turning it On before my Tesla leaves my garage and turning it back off when it returns. I hang an ID badge neck strap over my mirror when my Tesla is in my garage to remind me to turn it on when I leave. Works great.