Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS not accepting EV Tax Credit forms until March

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
last year it took us 6 months and a congressional iquiry from our representative to get our return out of the wonderful IRS limbo land, where they can take as long as they like to get around to simply giving you your refund without explanation or any particular action. it's one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had. They gave no reason for the delay in the end, no heads up, just one day the funds were automatically deposited into our account. Meanwhile we were gearing up for a full blown audit...

Just wait until the Affordable Health Care Act is up and running. It will make the IRS look like your best friends.

How?
It's telling me that I need to file by mail because of the error.

Your federal return has some areas we'll need to address before you can successfully e-file. In many cases you'll just need to enter missing information.

If you're not able to fix these issues, you will return to this screen and you can select File by Mail.

Let's handle them one at a time.

"Fix" the year of the car, by typing in 2012 again. It will say soming like "your taxes might not be correct" but will still let you efile. I went all the way up to the button that lets you file. But haven't pressed it because I am still waiting on my wife's W2. Stupid tiny non-profit can't get their act together. So I could be wrong, but I got past that error message, by clicking through. Putting 2012 in the places it said 2012 was wrong and it let me proceed.

"Fix" the year of the car, by typing in 2012 again. It will say soming like "your taxes might not be correct" but will still let you efile. I went all the way up to the button that lets you file. But haven't pressed it because I am still waiting on my wife's W2. Stupid tiny non-profit can't get their act together. So I could be wrong, but I got past that error message, by clicking through. Putting 2012 in the places it said 2012 was wrong and it let me proceed.

I read the release notes of the update that fixed the error which recommend to delete the EV credit form and re-enter the information (car, vin, purchase date,etc). That might be why you ran afoul of the error check.