Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS weighs in on tax rebate, mostly bad news for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are extremely deliberate distinctions to be “typos”. They very clearly made an explicit distinction between 5 and 7 seat variants.
Those are different models, which could have different prices.

Why would Tesla have called and offered me -$7,500 off a current Model Y if they weren't going to be eligible in January?

Why is the ID.4 AWD 5 Seater an SUV but the Model Y LR AWD 5 Seater and Mustang Mach E AWD 5 Seater are not? It doesn't make sense other than a mistake by the IRS.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Why would Tesla have called and offered me -$7,500 off a current Model Y if they weren't going to be eligible in January?
Because as I said in my original post, the Model Y is egregiously overpriced for current market conditions and Tesla needed to reduce uncertainty and stimulate sales to prevent a disastrous quarter.

Why is the ID.4 AWD 5 Seater an SUV but the Model Y LR AWD 5 Seater and Mustang Mach E AWD 5 Seater are not? It doesn't make sense other than, a mistake by the IRS.
Good questions, however I can surmise lots of different explanations that are more feasible than “typo”.

Because as I said in my original post, the Model Y is egregiously overpriced for current market conditions and Tesla needed to reduce uncertainty and stimulate sales to prevent a disastrous quarter.

Good questions, however I can surmise lots of different explanations that are more feasible than “typo”.
They sell out every quarter. This quarter will only be worse because people waited for Jan 1 credit. The MY is very expensive. It's about $15k more than I paid in 2020, which is why we went used for our newest. Still, they will sell everything they make.

I'd love to hear the logical differences between the ID.4 vs MME/MY, and why one is an SUV and the others are just hatchbacks.

And why is a 7 seater MY an SUV, but a 5 seater MY is a hatchback. The overall dimensions of the car are identical.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I'd love to hear the logical differences between the ID.4 vs MME/MY, and why one is an SUV and the others are just hatchbacks.
Looking at the list, it seems clear to me they are using some undoubtedly complicated formula to establish eligibility at the $80k level.

I suspect variables likely include things like passenger capacity, drivetrain configuration, ground clearance, towing capacity, cargo capacity, etc etc, and you have to check some number of the possible boxes to qualify.

Stabbing in the dark I’d guess the 7 seat MY qualifies as a “van” due to passenger capacity but the 5 seat MY variants and MME are somehow missing the mark for “SUV” for reasons TBD.

Last edited:
My point is that the IRS did not typo into existence a 7 seat Tesla Performance Model Y; Tesla would have had to submit documents the IRS that include the 7 seat Performance Model Y to be sold in 2023 or beyond.
Ah gotcha. Yeah, same with the AWD standard range. The page says that the manufacturer submits the vehicles to the IRS, so all the manufacturers have been involved in the process to some degree.

Reactions: Watts_Up