Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS weighs in on tax rebate, mostly bad news for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The list looks dumb and arbitrary. I hope a few automakers sue and win.

As far as I can tell it also violates trade agreements in place both with the Eurozone and some Asian countries. Too bad our legislators don’t bother to read the laws that the lobbyists write for them before they vote on them. AI could write better laws than the Media Personalities we call representatives.

The MSRP for this purpose is the base retail price suggested by the manufacturer, plus the retail price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery to the dealer. It does not include destination charges or optional items added by the dealer, or taxes and fees.
So does that mean upfront payment for FSD is excluded from the MSRP calculation? Since it's software and not "physically attached" to the vehicle. Every car gets the FSD computer, which is what's "physically attached" to the car.

Looking at the list, it seems clear to me they are using some undoubtedly complicated formula to establish eligibility at the $80k level.

I suspect variables likely include things like passenger capacity, drivetrain configuration, ground clearance, towing capacity, cargo capacity, etc etc, and you have to check some number of the possible boxes to qualify.

Stabbing in the dark I’d guess the 7 seat MY qualifies as a “van” due to passenger capacity but the 5 seat MY variants and MME are somehow missing the mark for “SUV” for reasons TBD.

I think this is the only credible explanation. The 7 seater is a van.

Reactions: Rusty1
(b) An automobile capable of off-highway operation, as indicated by the fact that it:

(1)
(i) Has 4-wheel drive; or
(ii) Is rated at more than 6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight; and
(2) Has at least four of the following characteristics calculated when the automobile is at curb weight, on a level surface, with the front wheels parallel to the automobile's longitudinal centerline, and the tires inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure -

(i) Approach angle of not less than 28 degrees.
(ii) Breakover angle of not less than 14 degrees.
(iii) Departure angle of not less than 20 degrees.
(iv) Running clearance of not less than 20 centimeters.
(v) Front and rear axle clearances of not less than 18 centimeters each.

Well, ID.4 AWD minimum ground clearance is 6.8", 17.272cm, but axle clearance is higher.
(The AWD version has more ground clearance than the RWD version, maybe specifically to meet SUV definitions.)

Reactions: Rusty1
My guess is this is based on weight. The base Model Y is somewhere around 4420 lbs, and I would guess the 7-seat variant might be just over 4500 lbs (can't find the weight for the 7-seat specifically). Looking at others in the list:

"SUV":
Audi Q5 PHEV - 4619 lbs
Chrysler Pacifica PHEV Minivan - 5010
Jeep GC PHEV - 5325
Jeep Wrangler PHEV - 5100
Rivian R1S - 7068
Rivian R1T - 7148
VW ID.4 AWD - 4834

"Car":
Mustang Mach E - 4394
Nissan Leaf = 3516
Tesla Model 3 - 3648
Volvo S60 PHEV - 4424
VW ID.4 RWD - 4568

If 4500 lbs was the cutoff between the two, the only one that doesn't seem to fit is the ID.4 RWD, which from what I can find is slightly over 4500 and thus I would expect it to be in the SUV list. But, aside from that, the data seems to fit...

So does that mean upfront payment for FSD is excluded from the MSRP calculation? Since it's software and not "physically attached" to the vehicle. Every car gets the FSD computer, which is what's "physically attached" to the car.
That just seems so cumbersome.

It is easier to say, MSRP = Base Price. Period. So, Model 3 starts at $45,000. They all qualify.

Instead of, umm, $45,000 + $2,500 paint + $2,000 wheels + $200 UMC + $5,000 EAP + $400 accessories. Do I qualify???? Sorry, the accessories put you over.

Last edited:
My guess is this is based on weight. The base Model Y is somewhere around 4420 lbs, and I would guess the 7-seat variant might be just over 4500 lbs (can't find the weight for the 7-seat specifically). Looking at others in the list:

"SUV":
Audi Q5 PHEV - 4619 lbs
Jeep GC PHEV - 5325
Rivian R1S - 7068
Rivian R1T - 7148
VW ID.4 AWD - 4834

"Car":
Mustang Mach E - 4394
Nissan Leaf = 3516
Tesla Model 3 - 3648
Volvo S60 PHEV - 4424
VW ID.4 RWD - 4568

If 4500 lbs was the cutoff between the two, the only one that doesn't seem to fit is the ID.4 RWD, which from what I can find is slightly over 4500 and thus I would expect it to be in the SUV list. But, aside from that, the data seems to fit...
While I think that is lame, at least it would show some logic.

Reactions: Hiline
Elon will never drop the MYP to 55k plus a $7,500 tax credit.

Tesla will produce a smaller batter size long range Y car with 264 miles of range to meet the lower price point. These batteries are being produced in Austin, the 4680 will be the batteries in the cars to meet the $55k price limit. The current long ranges have more like a 330 or 318 range, the newer my gut tells me will be 260’s. Tesla will squeeze the cost out of the vehicle and people will compromise to get the discount. Tesla started shipping these cars under the radar already as inventory in a select few states.

Attachments

• 87D5C315-77FF-48E9-9903-7A5E891BD2EA.png
    87D5C315-77FF-48E9-9903-7A5E891BD2EA.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 63

"SUV":
Audi Q5 PHEV - 4619 lbs
Jeep GC PHEV - 5325
Rivian R1S - 7068
Rivian R1T - 7148
VW ID.4 AWD - 4834

"Car":
Mustang Mach E - 4394
Nissan Leaf = 3516
Tesla Model 3 - 3648
Volvo S60 PHEV - 4424
VW ID.4 RWD - 4568

Maybe the cut off is 4575, ha

IMO it’s ridiculous to have different MSRP limits for “cars” vs “SUVs”, particularly when the line between the two is murky and arbitrary. It’s also a perverse incentive to push people towards giant environmentally unfriendly cars (an 8,000 pound EV monstrosity is still a sustainability train wreck).
I agree. However, given how popular SUV’s are in the US, if you can’t convince SUV owners to switch, and they will not switch to a sedan, EV adoption will never take off.