Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a retrofit possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I got a model 3 a few months ago and given the recent refresh, was wondering if you think Tesla will be able to add certain things back. Realize things like the heat pump probably aren’t realistic but what about the auto trunk and the windows? Those seem realistic if you pay ala carte? I’d prefer to have Tesla do it vs getting third party adds.

Thanks and sorry if I’ve missed this - did see some people saying its not possible but why?

The new glass is not likely to be a direct replacement. It probably requires a new regulator at the very least and who knows what the dimensions are and whether it will fit in the existing door frames?

Tesla likely will not do it for you but they may sell you the parts.

Last edited:
Thanks all, appreciate the insight.

So get the windows seem a bigger deal.

Why wouldn’t Tesla want to do a retrofit for the power trunk? Don’t most dealerships make all their profit off service? I heard there will be a heated steering wheel - I’d pay a lot to get that installed.

....Why wouldn’t Tesla want to do a retrofit for the power trunk? Don’t most dealerships make all their profit off service? I heard there will be a heated steering wheel - I’d pay a lot to get that installed.
Since Tesla doesn't have dealerships that is NA. Tesla Service Centers are already near max capacity just keeping up with REQUIRED service and falling farther behind as Tesla puts tons more cars on the road every day. Tesla just announce plans to open a new Service Center every week. Still probably not enough to keep up.

At this time it is more important finically for Tesla to improve the overall service experience than worry about adding extra services to make a couple of $s.

Having said that Tesla many announce tomorrow they will start retrofits. If there is one to certain about Tesla is NOTHING is certain.

Don’t most dealerships make all their profit off service?

... and there’s one of the many things different about Tesla. The showrooms and service centers aren’t dealerships. They’re owned and operated by Tesla. Service is not looked at as a profit center - it’s something Tesla does because they need to, not to make money.

Perhaps that’ll change one day but for now - enjoy it. It’s a wonderful thing. We’re also lucky here in NJ to have 4 fantastic service centers - Paramus, Springfield, Cherry Hill & Princeton are all excellent. Great folks at all 4 of them!

Dragging this back up..

According to the EPC, the double paned glass is the only change in the hardware for the doors & window mechanisms, so it should be a straight swap.

A ranger who came out to have a look at condensation on my B-pillar camera said that Tesla would fit genuine Tesla parts, but they wouldn't get involved in anything with third party parts, because of the obvious issues with warranties, etc.

So if you asked to buy two window panes I'm pretty confident your local SC would fit them, at their usual hourly rate of course.

Hi all, I got a model 3 a few months ago and given the recent refresh, was wondering if you think Tesla will be able to add certain things back. Realize things like the heat pump probably aren’t realistic but what about the auto trunk and the windows? Those seem realistic if you pay ala carte? I’d prefer to have Tesla do it vs getting third party adds.

Anything is possible with enough time and (your) money, it's all a question of motivation.
In case of double-pane glass, there are reviews on YouTube that the new glass does nothing to lower road noise, so I would not bother with that change.

Auto trunk, if it's important to you, should be physically doable.
Getting the vehicle profile updated so that your app and screen can control the trunk, may be a taller mountain to climb.

Why wouldn’t Tesla want to do a retrofit for the power trunk? Don’t most dealerships make all their profit off service? I heard there will be a heated steering wheel - I’d pay a lot to get that installed.

Tesla's dealerships/service centers (SC) are not independent business. They are Tesla employees.
Perversely, they don't care about making money off service they perform. The customer care and (dis-)satisfaction is the direct consequence of the lack of any incentive system for the SC to make money off the customers.

SC employees are, however, incentivized to sell new cars.
I am certain they will offer to "upgrade" your old car by trading it in for a new one!

Anything is possible with enough time and (your) money, it's all a question of motivation.
In case of double-pane glass, there are reviews on YouTube that the new glass does nothing to lower road noise, so I would not bother with that change.

Auto trunk, if it's important to you, should be physically doable.
Getting the vehicle profile updated so that your app and screen can control the trunk, may be a taller mountain to climb.

Tesla's dealerships/service centers (SC) are not independent business. They are Tesla employees.
Perversely, they don't care about making money off service they perform. The customer care and (dis-)satisfaction is the direct consequence of the lack of any incentive system for the SC to make money off the customers.

SC employees are, however, incentivized to sell new cars.
I am certain they will offer to "upgrade" your old car by trading it in for a new one!
I have a Chinese made aftermarket auto trunk that works just fine with the touchscreen, the button on the rear, the app or by moving my foot under the rear valance panel (or whatever that black thing is called under the bumper). Heck it even works with Siri and the Tesla “stats” app. Best modification I’ve ever made to a car.

i installed it myself. It took me probably four hours. None of it was mechanically that difficult. You can find videos to walk you through it, if that’s your thing (not mine). The hardest part was deciphering the instructions a bit due to language differences. The vendor that sold it to me “Teslaoffer.com”, provided tech support. Best customer service I’ve had in a long time. Pretty much any time i needed help i could text them and they would answer. Would clarify any confusion on my part. During install I accidentally damaged a part due to my own brain cramp (i overtorqued the latch and cracked the metal on the bracket). He overnighted a replacement part t to me from Hong Kong the same day i let him know my issue.

You could probably hire someone to install for you. I’d guess if they are competent they could get it done in 3 hours, plus or minus 30 minutes.

I had a thread on the glass retrofit as someone broke into my 2020 model 3. Since I was going to replace one of the windows I decided to try retrofitting both sides with the dual panel glass.

In summary: it's a direct fit and super easy to do yourself if you are handy. There seems to be a bit less noise at low speeds (or maybe it's just my imagination). At higher speeds, it makes no difference.

Thread link is below.

Laminated Glass Retrofit

... and there’s one of the many things different about Tesla. The showrooms and service centers aren’t dealerships. They’re owned and operated by Tesla. Service is not looked at as a profit center - it’s something Tesla does because they need to, not to make money.

Perhaps that’ll change one day but for now - enjoy it. It’s a wonderful thing. We’re also lucky here in NJ to have 4 fantastic service centers - Paramus, Springfield, Cherry Hill & Princeton are all excellent. Great folks at all 4 of them!

youse guys are lucky, with low EV taxes too!

Yeah we have $0 VLT (property tax) on EVs here in AZ so it pays off long term.

I wonder how NJ enforces out of state buyers sales tax waiver? I would have used my uncles Morristown address if I didn't have to transport the car here ;)

Oh, there's nothing for them to enforce, really. That's up to your home state; if the car isn't titled here, there isn't sales tax due anyway.

Now, for the (temporarily suspended) $5000 rebate - that's a wholly different kettle of fish. For that, you need to show both a drivers' license and the vehicle registration in-state. You're supposed to have to pay that rebate back if you move out of state within 3 years. The question is - will they do a periodic VIN pull and check after the fact? That's the $5000 question.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh