Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AEB sufficient, even with standard cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So AEB is redundant with autopilot?

They serve two different functions. When autopilot or TACC is engaged the car itself controls the speed of the car, including stopping for stopped traffic, but it only does so when it is engaged.

AEB is designed to reduce the damage in an unavoidable accident. If TACC or Autopilot is not engaged and you are about to drive into the back of a car because you aren’t paying attention then AEB will attempt to slow the car so you don’t hit as hard as you would have otherwise. In an ideal world where the driver is always paying attention AEB should never have to be used.

So AEB is redundant with autopilot?

Redundancy in an example of whether I would get a broken nose without AEB or a broken nose with less force with Tesla AEB.

Redundancy here is a definitely broken nose.

Tesla AEB is NOT designed to avoid a collision. It does brake but NOT to avoid a collision.

If you want to avoid a collision then you need to pay up for Autopilot that does brake to avoid a collision.

If you want to avoid a collision then you need to pay up for Autopilot that does brake to avoid a collision.

But remember that autopilot serves a different function. If you are driving down the highway without autopilot turned on and you aren’t paying attention then you will still run into the back of that truck that’s stopped ahead. Just having autopilot isn’t going to cause the car to brake to avoid a collision.

That’s disappointing that Tesla do that.
It’s a lot of extra money to pony up for effectively ‘enhanced’ AEB

But autopilot is *not* enhanced AEB. As I said above, autopilot and AEB are completely different things. Autopilot is an automated feature to allow the car to maintain it’s speed and stay in its lane. Think of it as cruise control on steroids, or the very beginning of a fully self driving car.

On the other hand, AEB is a safety feature designed to help reduce damage and injuries in an accident. The E in AEB stands for Emergency and it is just that... designed to be a last ditch effort in an emergency.

Autopilot is designed to be used in day to day operations and while it does have the ability to bring the car safely to a stop *when it is operating* it does not stop the car during emergency situations. You cannot rely on a car with autopilot to safely stop your car if you are in a situation where you are not paying attention and fail to stop. That’s what AEB is for.

I am thinking of skipping the $5k AEB that includes TACC and the OP's questions is spot on.

If AEB worked with the regular cruise control, I wouldn't even consider TACC anymore. :) Good to know there is a difference and cruise control + AEB isn't equal to TACC.

I'm still hoping Tesla eventually offers TACC as an ala carte OTA update for $1,500 or less.

Tesla could configure AEB to operate just like AP. Then you would be subject to phantom braking, even when AP was off. Or it might be like you're the student driver and AEB is your grandmother operating the second brake pedal any time your driving upsets her. That's why it's only for emergencies only at this time. There is always the collision warning system to give you a better chance at accident avoidance.

AEB may be improved once FSD advances far enough. FSD has to decide all on its own whether to brake hard or not. That will require a better false alarm rate than the current EAP. I expect it will still be pretty limited to avoid interfering with your driving, but that's what forward collision warning is for.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyingKiwi and DR61