Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else’s FSD Beta vehicle trying to install 2021.40.6?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was advised to contact the beta team email. Two emails deep, still no response from them in 5 days.

Due to help (from Thread participants) in making sense of the Tesla software download track dichotomy (Production Build vs. FSD Beta Testing), I've been able to go back through this Thread and better understand its contents. By way of thanks, here is my analysis. (The "example" and "timeline" are based on what happened to the OP prior to Thanksgiving 2021.) Good luck.
1638071320647.png

Last edited:
Happened to me a week ago as well. Service center said to email [email protected]. Crickets. I rest my safety score friday and back at 100 with 60 miles, hope to brake 100 miles tomorrow.
2021.36.8.8 is pending, driving to work though and didn’t have enough time to install before leaving. Going to install when I get there. Maybe the FSD team finally got around the email. Let me know if you also get 10.5 pushed to you.

Interesting to see that this wasn’t a refresh only issue, as we originally thought, considering you have 90D

Same happened to me. I got an update notification yesterday and foolishly just installed it. I no longer have the FSDb and am running 2021.40.6 on my MS Plaid now.

Did your car also undergo service? Or is this something that any FSD Betta tester could have happen?

Feel free to comment on my tweet from the first page, maybe it’ll get Elon’s attention.

Successfully installed 2021.36.8.8

Excellent! Welcome back to those of us living on the knife-edge of disaster.

Just checking in, 7th day and no response from [email protected]

Any other refresh owners get 2021.40.6 pushed to them over the 10.5 beta?

Different situation, but: I've had 100+ miles with a score of 100 since November 28, and still no FSD update. It occurred to me 2 days ago that maybe I need to connect to WiFi to even get the update notification (I usually get it on LTE but have to connect to WiFi to download it). So I did that, and got updated to 2021.40.6. Does this mean no chance for FSD beta till 10.6 or whatever?

Different situation, but: I've had 100+ miles with a score of 100 since November 28, and still no FSD update. It occurred to me 2 days ago that maybe I need to connect to WiFi to even get the update notification (I usually get it on LTE but have to connect to WiFi to download it). So I did that, and got updated to 2021.40.6. Does this mean no chance for FSD beta till 10.6 or whatever?

Hmm. Interesting. What software version did you have before (the update to 40.6)? Model-year?

If only there was a helpful chart we could use,... Oh yeah!

The chart in Post #1 of Trying to Make Sense of Recent Software... helps with some questions, but it may be full of misassumptions (by me) and there is still much I/we don't understand. You are in the USA--check. You've asked to be an FSD Beta tester (e.g., via software ver. 2021.32.22?) and received the app safety score indicator--check. And you've apparently satisfied the safety score requirement--check. So what's the holdup?

I assume that at this point it is a "seller's market." Tesla has something we want, and now that the minimum score has been lowered there are tons of potential "buyers." Is there a limit on how many testers (all pumping streams of continuous FSD-related data back to the mother-ship) Tesla can effectively deal with? Possibly. Is Tesla facing redundant-data overload? Maybe. So though it is not saying (in order not to further infuriate customers), perhaps Tesla has more than enough testers right now? And, more importantly, I would think Tesla has to be careful about releasing this potentially dangerous feature to too many people. So the result may be that Tesla can afford to take its time (drag its feet) and be real picky while it focuses its attention on trying to write code that actually works.

Of course you realize that you will (we are told) lose features associated with the 40.6 version if you switch into 36.8.8, right? Indeed, a number of people have gone in the opposite direction, realizing that FSD Beta is not-ready-for-prime-time and that they want the 40.6 features to enjoy right now.

Just saying...

Last edited:
Reactions: SSDTester#1
Hmm. Interesting. What software version did you have before (the update to 40.6)? Model-year?

If only there was a helpful chart we could use,... Oh yeah!

The chart in Post #1 of Trying to Make Sense of Recent Software... helps with some questions, but it may be full of misassumptions (by me) and there is still much I/we don't understand. You are in the USA--check. You've asked to be an FSD Beta tester (e.g., via software ver. 2021.32.22?) and received the app safety score indicator--check. And you've apparently satisfied the safety score requirement--check. So what's the holdup?

I assume that at this point it is a "seller's market." Tesla has something we want, and now that the score minimum score has been lowered there are tons of potential "buyers." Is there a limit on how many testers (all pumping streams of continuous FSD-related data back to the mother-ship) Tesla can effectively deal with? Possibly. Is Tesla facing redundant-data overload? Maybe. So though it is not saying (in order not to further infuriate customers), perhaps Tesla has more than enough testers right now? And, more importantly, I would think Tesla has to be careful about releasing this potentially dangerous feature to too many people. So the result may be that Tesla can afford to take its time (drag its feet) and be real picky while it focuses its attention on trying to write code that actually works.

Of course you realize that you will (we are told) lose features associated with the 40.6 version if you switch into 36.8.8, right? Indeed, a number of people have gone in the opposite direction, realizing that FSD Beta is not-ready-for-prime-time and that they want the 40.6 features to enjoy right now.

Just saying...

Thanks, the chart is very helpful! I try to keep track of my software updates, but don't always do a good job. I got 2021.32.22 on Sept 22 and that's when I first requested FSD Beta. I found it almost impossible to get that kind of score living in the middle of a city (LA), so I opted out and back in a couple of times and only got it for the first time last week.

So based on the chart, there is a plausible theory that I missed the first Beta because my score didn't qualify, and missed 10.5 because my software was not up to date, no? Now I would miss Beta updates because I'm too far ahead in the branch?

Yeah, it's mostly about trying it out for me. I may opt out after a while. Though admittedly I have not done a ton of research and am not sure what exactly I would miss out on, other than maybe less nagging while on Freeway AP?

...So based on the chart, there is a plausible theory that I missed the first Beta because my score didn't qualify, and missed 10.5 because my software was not up to date, no? Now I would miss Beta updates because I'm too far ahead in the branch?...

I would be careful about making too many assumptions based solely on that chart.

My guess, and it is totally a guess, is that if you still have the request for FSD Beta active (i.e., it says so on your car's center display screen--the place where you request FSD Beta--and you still have the safety score thing going in the App), then you are still in the queue and may get an FSD Beta download at any time; or not. Sorry. It's a waiting game. Say you are going to get it. Whether you will get FSD Beta v10.5, or whether Tesla will wait to give you v.10.6 (coming soon), I don't know.

But I got FSD Beta v.10.3.1 (2021.36.5.3) on November 3rd unexpectedly (9 days after it was first released), and then got v10.4 (2021.36.8.5) just four days later around the normally-scheduled release date. So if my experience is any indication, once the decision (human or computer?) to put you into the FSD Beta testing track is made, it can be implemented on or in between normally-scheduled update release dates.

Check out this (2021.36.8.8 Update History) to see that people in the USA are still (slowly) getting 2021.36.8.8 (w/v10.5) as we speak, even though it was first released on November 21st. (They are probably people like you--folks who finally achieved an adequate score for X days.) At the same time, there are lots more people worldwide (including the U.S.) getting 2021.40.6 (2021.40.6 Update History), like you did already. Teslascope identifies that activity as an active rollout.

Just a reminder that those update lists are based on a sample--a list of people (a relatively small subset of all Tesla owners) that subscribe to Teslascope.

Last edited: