Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot as awesome for you as it is for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you turn off lane centering and just use the TAAC? When I'm in traffic cruising 5MPH I don't really need lane centering, just TAAC. Are these mutually exclusive capabilities, or required to work at same time together?
You can engage TACC only with one downward push on the gear selection stalk. That does not engage Auto Pilot, which requires two pushes.

I recommend reading the Model 3 owners manual starting on page 61 where TACC operation is explained. See https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

In California the freeways/highways do not have dashed lines where there are exits, but I do not currently experience what you describe (though I did in the past). The more recent firmware versions completely solved that issue, in my experience.

Regarding the topic of this thread: I agree that EAP is a fantastic tool in stop and go traffic on the freeway. It’s also pretty good in lighter traffic. No, it is not yet perfect. Which should surprise no one.
I've noticed with version 9 it's much better at not centering during a merge, but there is still room for improvement. It doesn't violently go to the center the first chance it gets anymore, but it does casually go towards the center.

I love the EAP in traffic and on the long highway commute, but agree that it still needs some refinement for merge areas and the highway to highway transition seems to vary widely on speed. I find it abruptly slows down to the surprise of anyone following closely.

Also on some curves, it does not plan ahead and comes in a little hot/fast and then ping pongs between the line markers trying to catch up to the changing curve radius.

It really is a game changer if you drive in heavy traffic every day. It's also a little safer when you get stuck behind assholes with ALL their brake lights out.
Just as annoying were the people that drive with a foot on the brake, so their lights never go out. It used to be you'd try to get around them as quickly as possible, or, if you couldn't for some reason, pay close attention to whether they were actually braking. With AP, it's just like being behind any other car.

Just as annoying were the people that drive with a foot on the brake, so their lights never go out. It used to be you'd try to get around them as quickly as possible, or, if you couldn't for some reason, pay close attention to whether they were actually braking. With AP, it's just like being behind any other car.
My favorite thing about AP is not having to slam on the brakes when there is a sudden slow down in traffic flow. The radar can sense the slow down and reduce the speed as necessary.

• Love
Reactions: Jaywlker
i love it except when it inexplicably swerves into adjacent well marked lanes. A few software updates ago, i noticed a much less aggressive acceleration from a stop... i preferred the more aggressive acceleration pattern since now i'm holding up traffic. Overall i still think it's pretty good, just not great.

I love it as well. 160 mile roundtrip daily commute with 80% 4-lane interstate and 20% rural 2-lane highways.

One interesting side affect is that I actually go the speed limit now. I used to say speeding tickets are the cost of driving fast. before going the speed limit was unthinkable but with autopilot i don’t feel the need to speed. I just set the max speed and forget. So much more relaxing drive.

i love it except when it inexplicably swerves into adjacent well marked lanes. A few software updates ago, i noticed a much less aggressive acceleration from a stop... i preferred the more aggressive acceleration pattern since now i'm holding up traffic. Overall i still think it's pretty good, just not great.
Good and great is all relative. EAP is by far the best product that is currently available.

• Love
I've been through AP1, to AP2-sort of, AP2-ish, AP2-kind of, AP2-almost there....

And this latest one is AP2-Awesome!

I use it all the time on highway and even on some well lined local roads. Works great...

Just need to pay attention, and never forget you are still driving, and it makes driving so so much easier.

• Love
AP is a lifesaver in stop and go traffic. I try to explain this to people who have no experience with Tesla and most of them just don't fathom what a stress reducer it is.
It's a huge stress reducer on long drives too. Before I refused to drive to LA to visit my parents and would always take a flight or a shuttle. With EAP, I drive down almost monthly.

• Love
It's a huge stress reducer on long drives too. Before I refused to drive to LA to visit my parents and would always take a flight or a shuttle. With EAP, I drive down almost monthly.

It actually helps me stay more alert on long trips, too, because I'm not fatigued by the tedium of just keeping it between the lines.

Yes, it's not perfect and it's sometimes quirky and unpredictable but I don't want to drive a car without it.

It actually helps me stay more alert on long trips, too, because I'm not fatigued by the tedium of just keeping it between the lines.

Yes, it's not perfect and it's sometimes quirky and unpredictable but I don't want to drive a car without it.
Agreed. I find myself spending more time watching other vehicles rather than concentrating on just keeping the car straight.

I've noticed with version 9 it's much better at not centering during a merge, but there is still room for improvement. It doesn't violently go to the center the first chance it gets anymore, but it does casually go towards the center.

I wonder if that's the car imitating human drivers. If I'm in the right lane then merging cars should speed up and pass me or slow down and stay behind me but don't drive right beside me as if the lane doesn't end.
Get up to speed and pass me and don't wait till the last second then decide you want to play chicken and get around me.

... Even Tesla seems to think so, given that the nag interval increases dramatically from ~30sec to ~2min when you're stuck in traffic (for those of us who've had EAP for a while, we know that all nags used to be ~2min)...

Do you consistently get >15s nag interval while stuck in stop-and-go traffic on a freeway? My 3, both before and after v9, consistently nags me every ~12s on freeways, regardless of traffic conditions (including when I'm crawling forward at 5mph). Even back in April, before installing the new firmware with more frequent nags, I would consistently get nagged every ~15s. My 3 is currently with Tesla Service so that they can check whether there's something wrong with my EAP. I should hear back from them any day now, but it'd be useful to get some more data points to understand what the expected behavior is, in case they tell me the 12s nag frequency is normal.

I thought the nags were based on distance, and not time. Thus, longer intervals at slower speeds. Might be different on M3, and I'm new to Tesla ownership, so I don't know. Plus, my wife drives it mostly.

... One interesting side affect is that I actually go the speed limit now. I used to say speeding tickets are the cost of driving fast. before going the speed limit was unthinkable but with autopilot i don’t feel the need to speed. I just set the max speed and forget. So much more relaxing drive.
Same here. I used to just want to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. Now I don't mind so much. What I do mind, a bit, is that I listen to books a lot during driving. I'm finding myself paying less attention to the books while worried about what nifty fright EAP will throw at me next :) That's just me getting used to it I'm sure.

It does seem to like being close to stuff on the right (curbs, trucks, etc.). I'm getting better with the trucks, but when it starts to get too close to the curbs/jersey walls where lines are within a foot of the wall/curb, I take over pretty quickly. I wouldn't be able to stop it in time otherwise.

All-in-all, it is definitely awesome and transformative. My wife has taken it on the long trips and just gushes over how much less stressed she is. She was in heavy traffic on the last trip and was so happy to have it available.

Chris

I thought the nags were based on distance, and not time. Thus, longer intervals at slower speeds. Might be different on M3, and I'm new to Tesla ownership, so I don't know. Plus, my wife drives it mostly.

That's what I've read on TMC as well, except that's definitely not the case with my 3. I can be going 75mph or 5mph and still get the nag every ~12s. My AP2.5 v9 42.2 Model S service loaner consistently allowed ~30s between nags at 60mph and ~45s between nags in stop and go traffic on the same stretch of road I commute on everyday. I reported this to Tesla Service and this is what they texted me.... o_O

"Also we looked into your AutoPilot concern and your vehicle has the 3.0 Version of AutoPilot and with V9 firmware the perimeters that require you to apply force to the steering wheel are about 10-12 seconds. The loaner vehicle you have is a Model S with AutoPilot 2.5 which has different perimeters even though the firmware is the same. Most likely Model S and X times will be shortened like your M3 due to safety."
I guess that's one way to get your customers to give up and shut up, because I did. Although I did try to educate the service rep by texting back Elon's tweet about AP3 release next year. Elon Musk on Twitter

I’m still loving AP1. I’m happy with all it does.

I do feel like even EAP, AP 2.5 should provide TACC and steering on the freeway and divided roads.

Nobody asked me, but...

EAP should recognize signs and stop lights, auto-lane change with the manual signal, a basic awesome driver assist function.

FSD buyers would be happy to get on-off ramp capability, Autopilot on Nav exclusively.

If Tesla doesn’t start differentiating between EAP and FSD it’s as if the EAP purchase is all that’s needed.

Same here. I used to just want to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. Now I don't mind so much.

I have actually timed the difference and it only added 5 minutes to my commute to go the speed limit. No more hitting the break when I see a police car or having to scan the road for cops in the distance. Now I just cruise on by without a concern in the world. I also found it surprising how many people actually do go the speed limit. A whole new world :).