Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AWD worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true, again....

According to Tesla the weight difference is 70kg
1909kg RWD
1979 LR

And the range difference is + 110km

I don't care which car anyone buys.
To me, getting the LR over the RWD at current prices is a no brainer.
But to each their own.
Well, just had a look at other MY LR on sell and got the following specifications from the dealers (so: true data, not specifications):

LR range: 505 km
2019 kg (official data on the car document)

anyway, at the current price difference (7k) I would have also evaluated the LR
when I bought it in october, difference was 10k and was no brainer to actually not buy LR

I think that the additional range is more a "good feeling" for most drivers ... unless you drive 400km or more every day and then you must charge during the day

Bit of a curveball thrown my way, if I accept the original order ( made November 6th ) for the RWD , I have a fixed delivery time of February 19th to March 6th

Delivery if I change to AWD is March to April but no set window, more importantly if Tesla didn’t deliver until say September?, I would loose the government subsidy which is being discontinued in August

I’m 90% sure I want the AWD but loosing the government sub would leave the AWD 12 k more expensive instead of 7 k

Bit of a curveball thrown my way, if I accept the original order ( made November 6th ) for the RWD , I have a fixed delivery time of February 19th to March 6th

Delivery if I change to AWD is March to April but no set window, more importantly if Tesla didn’t deliver until say September?, I would loose the government subsidy which is being discontinued in August

I’m 90% sure I want the AWD but loosing the government sub would leave the AWD 12 k more expensive instead of 7 k

As mentioned in previous posts, I feel pretty well with the RWD.
The driving experience, IMHO, is more or less the same, at the end.
Do you need more power and acceleration?
Do you really need more range?
Do you really need the 4x4?

Well, just had a look at other MY LR on sell and got the following specifications from the dealers (so: true data, not specifications):

LR range: 505 km
2019 kg (official data on the car document)

anyway, at the current price difference (7k) I would have also evaluated the LR
when I bought it in october, difference was 10k and was no brainer to actually not buy LR

I think that the additional range is more a "good feeling" for most drivers ... unless you drive 400km or more every day and then you must charge during the day

Man, the things people do and say to "justify" their own choices. 😂😂

AWD isn’t 4WD
Both of these are just marketing names anyway.

There are too many types of power delivery to 4+ wheels as it is, but to hopefully add some clarity here, AWD generally consists of open differentials or limited-slip differentials designed for on-road/highway driving. 4WD or more specifically off-road 4WD usually has locked differentials and shouldn't be driven on paved roads/highways.

Tesla's dual motor AWD implementation is unique in that the front and rear wheelsets are not mechanically connected. This means that you shouldn't need to worry about replacing all 4 tires when one isn't usable anymore at least.

There are too many types of power delivery to 4+ wheels as it is, but to hopefully add some clarity here, AWD generally consists of open differentials or limited-slip differentials designed for on-road/highway driving. 4WD or more specifically off-road 4WD usually has locked differentials and shouldn't be driven on paved roads/highways.

Tesla's dual motor AWD implementation is unique in that the front and rear wheelsets are not mechanically connected. This means that you shouldn't need to worry about replacing all 4 tires when one isn't usable anymore at least.
Wrong they are not marketing names but specifically denote difference in the way power is transferred. 4WD is when left and right halves are geared together. AWD is the opposite of this. And Tesla's AWD is NOT unique, it's a result of having two motors which is normal on dual motor EVs.

I'm not a 4WD aficionado... but this does make me wonder if the old terms are even applicable with EVs. The old terms have an implied assumption of a single power source that is distributed through some combination of differentials and transfer cases. With 2, 3, or 4 motor EVs, the software could mimic any FWD, RWD, AWD, or 4WD behavior. So, an EV could be any of those with the flick of a software switch. Heck, even the 2-motor EV implementation of AWD has little in common with a conventional ICE AWD.

I'm not a 4WD aficionado... but this does make me wonder if the old terms are even applicable with EVs. The old terms have an implied assumption of a single power source that is distributed through some combination of differentials and transfer cases. With 2, 3, or 4 motor EVs, the software could mimic any FWD, RWD, AWD, or 4WD behavior. So, an EV could be any of those with the flick of a software switch. Heck, even the 2-motor EV implementation of AWD has little in common with a conventional ICE AWD.
It cannot mimic all setups like 4WD for instance. 4WD means both left and right wheels are geared or locked together. You can't do that with an EV AWD's open diff or viscous diff. You'd need a locking diff. The AWD in an EV is actually surprisingly simple, open diffs using brakes for TC. And by extension in cases of dual motor you get natural torque vectoring front to rear which Tesla puts to great use.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Wrong they are not marketing names but specifically denote difference in the way power is transferred. 4WD is when left and right halves are geared together. AWD is the opposite of this. And Tesla's AWD is NOT unique, it's a result of having two motors which is normal on dual motor EVs.
What about Honda's 3rd generation CR-V? That vehicle has 4WD badging... Does it have a locking differential? Is Nissan's E-4WD lockable and off-road capable?

I only have to show you one example of how your statement is wrong. Might be best to read up on this subject...

Attachments

• 8CB59EB4-42B5-4F6F-8AF5-0314DFDDB5A9.jpeg
    8CB59EB4-42B5-4F6F-8AF5-0314DFDDB5A9.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 56
Well I’m an idiot, had to reconsider as it turns out that the AWD isn’t eligible for the government subsidy ( in Ireland) if you select any colour other than white or black, I don’t like black and think the Y looks fat in white ( I like the 3 in white )

Car colour is important to me so I’m sticking with my RWD order as without a government subsidy, the blue Y in AWD is twelve grand more expensive

Well I’m an idiot, had to reconsider as it turns out that the AWD isn’t eligible for the government subsidy ( in Ireland) if you select any colour other than white or black, I don’t like black and think the Y looks fat in white ( I like the 3 in white )

Car colour is important to me so I’m sticking with my RWD order as without a government subsidy, the blue Y in AWD is twelve grand more expensive

For what it's worth, under your circumstances, I believe you made the wise choice.

Reactions: paul_gallagher
I think the front motor is also used for acceleration, and that's probably where a lot of tire wear happens, so using front and rear motors there might result in more even tire wear.
True. If you floor it the front will kick in and yes that is when most wear is going to occur. But if you are someone who just drives around in chill without racing off the line then I think the RWD and AWD will wear similar.

IMO, absolutely worth swapping to the AWD for your order. You will probably more than make up for it at resale down the road as the AWD drive LR has significantly more demand. Personally I would not think twice about it.
Good points!

If black or white are the only colors he can go with for now, either to me are good though I might lean toward black. Here is one I found:

Last edited:
Reactions: djborden