Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strongly considering ordering a new M3P, trying to decide if the $6k is worth it for FSD? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any groundbreaking advantages as of now, or is it more the anticipation of what's to come? Parking itself and meeting me in front of the grocery store isn't worth $6k IMO, but if the expectation is it's gonna be a lot more than that in the next few years, then the cost becomes more justifiable, even just for resale alone. Thanks.

If you think you can and want to use NOA regularly I'd buy it. That helps ease the pain of between now and FSD 1.0.

Not everyone is a fan of NOA (it does have some quirks, for some more than others) but if you do regular road trips on actual highways it is very nice to have. In my case I'm using it to get me to the beach, and it allows me to relax a bit during the ~3 hour drive.

I don't have a long commute but the road trips are what makes it valuable to me. If I didn't have either it would be very hard to justify.

Absolutely, especially now. They are finally rolling out new features for it with V10 and when most people get onto HW3, its going to move much quicker. You can gamble, but from here on out it will likely just get more expensive.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
Right now it makes road trips much more relaxing.

The version of Autopilot that's now included on all cars doesn't include auto lane change. I was surprised at how much that mattered, but breaking AP every time you went to pass a slower car got on my nerves surprisingly quickly, especially with the loud engagement beeps (which are an important safety feature, but still.)

Just having that automatic lane change makes a big difference in a long trip, and Nav on Autopilot is pretty good in wide open spaces with light traffic.

But mostly the promise of FSD is for the future. After years of work, it should finally be showing up this fall, now that the hardware is actually up to the task.

All I really want is level 3 freeway driving, for safer, easier road trips. NoA is tantalizingly close, but doesn't understand deer and road debris, so it just isn't enough.

On a straight/smooth two lane highway. NoA/AP is great. On an urban metropolitan freeway/highway/expressway, it's a 12 year old learning to drive and you're the drive instructor.

It does promise to take over 100% in the future (vaporware atm).

Posts like this confuse me and make me wonder if there is some large difference between vehicles. I use AP/NoaP about 90% of the time I am behind the wheel, City or Highway. I really only take over in weird areas or stop lights/stop signs and turns in the city.

It seems to work great for me, it is not perfect, but what is? I surely am not... It will never be perfect. Even when FSD is mainstream there will still be crashes and deaths, just less than today.

As of today I would say it is a 50/50 call. The few really negative posts are too far that way IMO based upon my experience of having it, but you are taking a leap of faith as to the timing of improvements which makes FSD a must have feature. I find the basic auto pilot which comes standard on new cars really useful on highway driving, and stop and go driving in both highway and non highway situations.

Posts like this confuse me and make me wonder if there is some large difference between vehicles. I use AP/NoaP about 90% of the time I am behind the wheel, City or Highway. I really only take over in weird areas or stop lights/stop signs and turns in the city.

It seems to work great for me, it is not perfect, but what is? I surely am not... It will never be perfect. Even when FSD is mainstream there will still be crashes and deaths, just less than today.

Agreed, I'm simply stating the way things are from my experience. Personally though, it's worth every penny as EAP/FSD makes Rush Hour urban commuting way less stressful and enjoyable; been consuming eBooks like no tomorrow.

Reactions: evannole
Agreed, I'm simply stating the way things are from my experience. Personally though, it's worth every penny as EAP/FSD makes Rush Hour urban commuting way less stressful and enjoyable; been consuming eBooks like no tomorrow.

Oh I know, I was not trying to say you are wrong or a liar. I was simply wondering why there are such varied experiences. Is it the car, is it peoples expectations, is it hardware or software versions, etc.