Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will i be missing out on Enhanced Autopilot or FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole Tesla “beta” is used pretty loosely. I think it still says auto wipers beta.
It's being used consistently relative to the software industry. When you let people use software that you know isn't ready for prime time, you call it beta test software. I think that a better term is needed for consumers because "beta test" is pretty obscure. It'll probably get drawn into the mainstream lexicon in some demented form, and nobody will be able to use it anymore.

In the case of the wipers, they're planning on moving to a 360 degree video treatment instead of trying to figure out if its raining from looking at single images from the front-facing camera. Elon is pretty insistent on making the cameras do as much work as possible. "The best part is no part" is a serious bit of his DNA.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Looking to buy a new Y and trying to determine if I want EA, FSD, or neither.
I'm hopeful FSD will become a real thing soon but who knows if it's actually years away...
Will I be kicking myself if I don't just get it today vs waiting.
Maybe skip FSD but get EA now, any reason EA is well worth the price now vs future FSD savings? Assuming it'll knock the 6k price off FSD with a future upgrade.
If I do wait is it only offered as a subscription or could I still pay the full 15k+ price up front when I decide to purchase it

Thanks for the info!
Don't buy either. EAP changes lanes automatically and does smart summon and auto park. FSD drives the car on it's own. It's nowhere near ready for prime time. If you really want FSD do the math $15000/199 = 6 years, 3 months. MAYBE FSD will work by then. Save $15K and put it into the stock market

Reactions: GalacticHero
  • FSDb subscription is $200/mo
  • FSDb purchase is $15k
  • You will need to drive the car more than 6 years before you start saving money by paying the $15k up front
  • Also, if you don't like it or budget issues come up, you can cancel/restart the subscription anytime
I my situation, unless there is a substantial subscription increase coming up, it doesn't make sense to purchase

Btw... Hard to go back to not having FSDb

The last part about hard to go back not having FSDb. Yesterday I tried to activate fsd and I received a warning saying “camera needs alignment” I couldn’t pull over so I drove without it, kept trying the entire drive and same error. It was reallly annoying having to drive and not being able to access fsd.

The last part about hard to go back not having FSDb. Yesterday I tried to activate fsd and I received a warning saying “camera needs alignment” I couldn’t pull over so I drove without it, kept trying the entire drive and same error. It was reallly annoying having to drive and not being able to access fsd.
I don’t know what FSDb version you are on but 11.3.6 kept having the steering wheel disappear and reappear almost constantly while going down the road. When it disappeared, I couldn’t activate AP. 11.4.2 fixed that issue.

Reactions: SoCal5
Weird when I drive my wife's ICE car. Feels uncomfortable and unsafe. If this is what most people will experience after getting used to FSD, churn rate should be minimal...

Weird when I drive my wife's ICE car. Feels uncomfortable and unsafe. If this is what most people will experience after getting used to FSD, churn rate should be minimal...
I can get on board with this statement if instead of FSD, it said AP (or maybe even EAP).

I do absolutely hate it now when I don't have autosteer. Kind of when I had to drive a U-haul without cruise control. Miserable trip. Now, having to actively steer the car on a trip has become burdensome as well.

But I don't think I need FSD or even NoA. I'm fine without those. But yeah, driving without autosteer sucks.

This is partially incorrect.

Tesla just let in the first batch of testers a few weeks ago after a few months of not letting anyone in due to the recall. While I understand that is Tesla's goal, it's not firm and can change at any point.

Cars that are delivered with too high of firmware version still won't get Beta as well. That will always be a factor.
There are some nice features for non FSD cars EXCEPT there seem to be non FSD enhancements with 11.3.6 FSD. I don't get why one set of coders cannot put all the enhancements in and IF (FSDB = 'NO') THEN GO TO BYPASS OTHERWISE GO TO FSDBX (for you Cobol programmers out there)

As someone whose 2018 Tesla Model 3 just got smacked by a semi and totaled out by my insurance carrier (with what did not appear to be damage that would total out any other vehicle)... I am hesitant to buy EAP or FSD on my replacement 2023 Model Y for this reason. IF YOUR TESLA IS TOTALLED 3 DAYS/MONTHS/YEARS AFTER YOU BUY IT, YOU HAVE TO RE-BUY EAP OR FSD ON YOUR REPLACEMENT TESLA! At least I got 5.5 years out of my EAP, but I would be PISSED if my car got totaled in that first year and I had to pay for that again (and just like when you trade in a tesla with EAP or FSD, you get pennies extra for those VERY expensive add ons... PENNIES!) I have EAP and while I do love it, I used Navigate on Autopilot every day to/from work on the highway. It's great. I do cancel a lot of proposed lane changes though. I never use Summon. It just takes FOREVER to move the car and really isn't useful in anything but an empty parking lot (and even then?). Sure that one time it is raining hard and you move the car up, it's cool, but $6,000 cool for 2-3x in the life of owning your vehicle? I use the parking feature occasionally, but it's really not necessary and for parallel parking I am always on edge that it will hit the curb and scrape the rims. I was hoping to pay the $9,000 to upgrade to FSD on my Model 3 (still haven't transferred title to ins co) and then do the FSD one time transfer to the Model Y (which means FSD would really only cost me $9,000, since the $6,000 I paid for EAP in 2018 is lost money now), but I'm not sure it's worth doing? I can just pay the monthly for any out of town trips. Makes a lot more sense. Of course, if FSD with HW4 gets to be so amazing, I am sure Tesla will jack the price, but really how much more can they jack the price and people pay it?

Solution is pretty easy.

Your new Tesla will come with free Autopilot and all the hardware necessary for FSD.
Drive this for a while and see if it is to your liking and sufficient for your needs.
If you want to experience EAP or FSD, you can rent that for a month for about $100-$200.
If that experience is worth the $ to you, simply click the button on your app to have it installed and pay.

If it make more financial sense to you, you can also simply continue paying the current price on a Month by Month basis.

Tesla usually gives advance notice of when pricing will be changing. You can make your decision at that time as well.

Reactions: JB47394
As someone whose 2018 Tesla Model 3 just got smacked by a semi and totaled out by my insurance carrier (with what did not appear to be damage that would total out any other vehicle)... I am hesitant to buy EAP or FSD on my replacement 2023 Model Y for this reason. IF YOUR TESLA IS TOTALLED 3 DAYS/MONTHS/YEARS AFTER YOU BUY IT, YOU HAVE TO RE-BUY EAP OR FSD ON YOUR REPLACEMENT TESLA! At least I got 5.5 years out of my EAP, but I would be PISSED if my car got totaled in that first year and I had to pay for that again (and just like when you trade in a tesla with EAP or FSD, you get pennies extra for those VERY expensive add ons... PENNIES!) I have EAP and while I do love it, I used Navigate on Autopilot every day to/from work on the highway. It's great. I do cancel a lot of proposed lane changes though. I never use Summon. It just takes FOREVER to move the car and really isn't useful in anything but an empty parking lot (and even then?). Sure that one time it is raining hard and you move the car up, it's cool, but $6,000 cool for 2-3x in the life of owning your vehicle? I use the parking feature occasionally, but it's really not necessary and for parallel parking I am always on edge that it will hit the curb and scrape the rims. I was hoping to pay the $9,000 to upgrade to FSD on my Model 3 (still haven't transferred title to ins co) and then do the FSD one time transfer to the Model Y (which means FSD would really only cost me $9,000, since the $6,000 I paid for EAP in 2018 is lost money now), but I'm not sure it's worth doing? I can just pay the monthly for any out of town trips. Makes a lot more sense. Of course, if FSD with HW4 gets to be so amazing, I am sure Tesla will jack the price, but really how much more can they jack the price and people pay it?
To Infinity and Beyooooond!!!!!

What was it in 2019, out of interest? 15k is a lot more than I expected.
I don’t know what FSD was specifically but when I bought my car new in 2016 (received in early 2017), I didn’t have any of it. Not TACC, not AP, not EAP, not FSD. I had HW 2.0 on the car but no software to take advantage of it because their normal rates I thought were too high for what you get.

But then in 2019 during the fire sale (that lasted I think a week or so), I could get it all for 5k. And for that price and that functionality at the time, I think 5k was worth it.

Reactions: cashy891