Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A pitch where dozens of people sat in cars with development software and hardware and experienced a lvl4 FSD drive and what the future has to offer?
And a fancy buffet with freshly prepared exotic delicacies!

Please explain, if that was so fantastic back in April, why does the actual product perform so poorly in August?!?

And why does Elon Musk employ a strategy of trying to get people to buy this for a “discount” *before* anyone knows how good it really is?

Isn’t that fishy? Especially considering that they pulled this strategy off in the past without delivering on their promises. I just say 2016 coast to coast FSD video.

You’d think some of the fancy tech would have made it into production by now.

You must be a fool me thrice type of person.

Last edited:

Please explain, if that was so fantastic back in April, why does the actual product perform so poorly in August?!?

Because we are not running HW3 with Dev build software like Tesla employees?

Fooled about what? I am extremely satisfied with my purchase and look forward eagerly to the near future!

Reactions: disapr

And why does Elon Musk employ a strategy of trying to get people to buy this for a “discount” *before* anyone knows how good it really is?

Isn’t that fishy? Especially considering that they pulled this strategy off in the past without delivering on their promises. I just say 2016 coast to coast FSD video.

You’d think some of the fancy tech would have made it into production by now.

I don't think we've seen how the product performs in August.

HW3 cars are still running the same eAP NNs as HW2.5 cars, not the full resolution HW3 specific networks intended for self driving.

Reactions: Joshan
So you read an ebook while your car is changing lanes by itself?

Or do you read the ebook while on regular autosteer and TACC. Which is included in the base price of the car now and not FSD.

In any case, you aren’t supposed to read an ebook while operating a Tesla. Be prepared to be flamed with a thousand suns by FSD aficionados on this site if you ever post about a mishap with your Tesla while reading an ebook.

I meant to say "Audio Book" which = eBook to my brain apparently. A book is still a book and those will never go away.

• Funny
Reactions: Joshan
I don't think we've seen how the product performs in August.

HW3 cars are still running the same eAP NNs as HW2.5 cars, not the full resolution HW3 specific networks intended for self driving.

I understand that (and boy does it perform awfully in my HW3 car running apparently a port of NVidia’s quick start NN demo).

Why do they have to resort to “buy it now sight unseen or else it will be super expensive”? Some of you seem to think that’s some kind of gracious gesture. To me it feels like “milk them of their $ before the truth comes out that HW3 isn’t all that groundbreaking“.

Octo you seem very jaded and angry and ready to disagree with anyone who has anything positive to say. Do you hate your Tesla?
No, I really like my Tesla. Except for the stupid dancing cars and the nervous lane lines. It makes my Tesla seem drunk. At this point I’d pay Elon $1000 to let me disable the drunken cars because it cheapens the whole product IMO if something that broken takes up significant screen real estate.

Other than that it’s super awesome. Love it!

Last edited:
Strongly considering ordering a new M3P, trying to decide if the $6k is worth it for FSD? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any groundbreaking advantages as of now, or is it more the anticipation of what's to come? Parking itself and meeting me in front of the grocery store isn't worth $6k IMO, but if the expectation is it's gonna be a lot more than that in the next few years, then the cost becomes more justifiable, even just for resale alone. Thanks.

It seems lots of people were unhappy by Tesla changing AutoPilot features from EAP and FSD -- I would be very upset. I also understood that EAP was going to be an automated driving system -- now EAP owners have to pay extra to get FSD.

The point is, if you get FSD now, who knows, perhaps Tesla changes their mind again and creates an EFSD or something else and you have to pay more to get it.

I felt the pressure to buy it but I decided to take my chances and wait until this Fully Automated system is stable and approved by regulators. Will it be more expensive? Probably but there is also the chance that the price may go down to increase demand (e.g. Model 3)

• Disagree
Reactions: BGDDYKWL and Joshan
It seems lots of people were unhappy by Tesla changing AutoPilot features from EAP and FSD -- I would be very upset. I also understood that EAP was going to be an automated driving system -- now EAP owners have to pay extra to get FSD.

The point is, if you get FSD now, who knows, perhaps Tesla changes their mind again and creates an EFSD or something else and you have to pay more to get it.

Wow! This is just FUD. When I purchased EAP last year, it was not supposed to be FSD. FSD was an additional option which I didn't go for.

Anyway, beware taking advice on the internet -- especially from new members with 4 posts.

• Informative
EAP was never going to be an automated driving system, the features were clearly defined and FSD was there at that time also.

What they did was make some of the core features of EAP FREE now and labeled as AP (Auto Steer and TACC). People are mad about getting stuff free?

Anyone who had EAP has been given discounted offers to upgrade (I paid 2k for FSD in march).

In the end its about personal preference. I am an enterprise software developer as my livelihood, so I see what they are doing and the steady progress and am very impressed. Based on that I paid earlier in hopes it saves me money later.

If you are not confident and would rather wait, have at it. Nothing wrong with that. You may just pay more later than today.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL and disapr

I felt the pressure to buy it but I decided to take my chances and wait until this Fully Automated system is stable and approved by regulators. Will it be more expensive? Probably but there is also the chance that the price may go down to increase demand (e.g. Model 3)

Where did you get that idea?

Tesla has been offering FSD as an option beyond eAP from the first time they announced eAP. Aside from the recent redistribution that eliminated eAP for new cars, I think they've always been pretty clear about the boundary between the two, too.

• Informative
Strongly considering ordering a new M3P, trying to decide if the $6k is worth it for FSD? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any groundbreaking advantages as of now, or is it more the anticipation of what's to come? Parking itself and meeting me in front of the grocery store isn't worth $6k IMO, but if the expectation is it's gonna be a lot more than that in the next few years, then the cost becomes more justifiable, even just for resale alone. Thanks.
No.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
I understand that (and boy does it perform awfully in my HW3 car running apparently a port of NVidia’s quick start NN demo).

Why do they have to resort to “buy it now sight unseen or else it will be super expensive”? Some of you seem to think that’s some kind of gracious gesture. To me it feels like “milk them of their $ before the truth comes out that HW3 isn’t all that groundbreaking“.

Because Elon loves to use slimy FOMO sales tactics whenever he can. Quite frustrating. The funniest one was “eventually you won’t be able to buy a Tesla” lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Octo
Elon has stated it will be $7,000 soon in mid August. Will see if that happens. I think only the OP can determine if the FSD upgrade is worth it to him/her.

For me.... I go my 2017 Model S with EAP and FSD. I just bought a 2019 Model 3 with AP (part of base cost now) and FSD. I came to Tesla not because of the EV (which I now love) but because of Elon's push for FSD.

I believe we will continue to see improvements in v10 and HW3 faster than we have in the past.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL