Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is hope in sight for our USS-less cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blog posts such as this one Tesla Reinstates Distance Measurements for Cars Without Ultrasonic Sensors are saying software update 2022.45.11 will give USS-less cars like our brand new MY Park Assist features powered by the long-promised Tesla Vision.

What do we all think? Is it finally happening folks?
i think you answered it yourself ;) 😅

removing USS and radar was a cost cutting measure.

promising feature parity by purely relying on already built in 1.2MP "webcams" under the buzzword "Tesla Vision" was marketing

Reactions: AJ.. and DJ Palmis
I wonder when the update will be released to non-FSD participants? From what I read, parking assist was part of the latest FSD beta release... I have seen no mention of the parking assist feature rolling out to NON FSD participants.
If i had to guess the distance feature for non-USS cars requires some of the neural nets developed for FSD beta. So it probably won't come to non-FSD cars until the FSD-beta is included in all builds and everyone just gets the same build regardless of FSD or not.

until the FSD-beta is included in all builds and everyone just gets the same build regardless of FSD or not.
Is this supposed to be happening at some point? If so, does this mean cars without FSD will be using FSD programming for "free" regular highway AP?
Watching the latest FSD single stack highway drives it seems to be an improvement on legacy AP code. "Scooches" over next to large trucks very nicely.

“Perfume on a pig” comes to mind…

I think it’s a question of when - not if - Tesla will quietly reinstate USS.

Tesla Vision is IMHO the stupidest idea Tesla has come out with to date. Alienate prospective customers by trying to blatantly sell them a product inferior to the competition for MORE?!?!

Good grief. Short-sighted, rudderless move.

It’s entirely the opposite of a short sighted move. It’s a short term impact for a longer term improvement in the overall car IN TESLA’S EYES (not necessarily mine, before I get any flak).

There is one way of looking at this that is quite positive. Tesla have promised USS replacement functions to all customers with USS-less cars, and (obviously quality is yet to be seen) this update proves that the system is built and in a state that they’re prepared to deploy it.

If it is indeed built on the single stack and associated neural nets then that might suggest that those parts, potentially including single stack highway driving, will be deployed across the fleet some time soon.

Basically, I think Tesla are in a weaker position to not deploy the software widely once they’ve proven that it exists. They committed to replace the function for all of us, not just FSD beta testers.

Reactions: glovelace
Is this supposed to be happening at some point? If so, does this mean cars without FSD will be using FSD programming for "free" regular highway AP?
Well yes, at some point. When? who knows. This v11 release of FSD that was to be "single stack" was stated to be "next month" by Elon well over a year ago. So set expectations accordingly

At some point it should be like it used to be before the FSD beta program. The software is the same everywhere, just some features aren't active if you haven't purchased them.

Reactions: E90alex
Here, this will boost your hopes even further. :)

This report isn’t really as conclusively damning as made out whenever someone posts it here. Fact is that if you change any established way of doing things people complain so that in itself doesn’t prove much.

It’s also pretty in character for Musk to take the high risk/reward technical strategy.. he went all in on an electric car business in an era when no one wanted to buy electric cars and his other company drops rockets from space and catches them end on with a massive mechanical claw.

Anything to do with Twitter is a valid complaint. **** knows what’s gotten in to him over the last couple of years.

This report isn’t really as conclusively damning as made out whenever someone posts it here. Fact is that if you change any established way of doing things people complain so that in itself doesn’t prove much.

It’s also pretty in character for Musk to take the high risk/reward technical strategy.. he went all in on an electric car business in an era when no one wanted to buy electric cars and his other company drops rockets from space and catches them end on with a massive mechanical claw.

Anything to do with Twitter is a valid complaint. **** knows what’s gotten in to him over the last couple of years.
If the simple act of posting it makes it seem damning, then that speaks for itself. It's not just "people" complaining.... its the engineers he hired to get it done. That means something. If Tesla is returning to adding radar again, then what does that say about the opinion of his engineers and the vision only approach?

Reactions: starise and E90alex
If the simple act of posting it makes it seem damning, then that speaks for itself. It's not just "people" complaining.... its the engineers he hired to get it done. That means something.
Do you work in a technical field? Techies are incredibly resistant to change, particularly if it's disruptive change to a system they've worked on.

If Tesla is returning to adding radar again, then what does that say about the opinion of his engineers and the vision only approach?
He always left the door open to re-adding radar provided it was a high resolution radar. The statement at the time was that the existing radar was of no value.

I'm not Musk and I'm not taking any bullets for him, but criticism might as well be based on reality.

Reactions: jeewee3000
Do you work in a technical field?
`Yes, I'm a technical adviser, actually. The existing radar was of value as well as the USS sensors.... hence the lack of parking aids we now have. That system could have been left in place till they figured out Vision, versus yanking it until....

Think about what happens if Vision doesn't work as planned... those with no radar or USS have nothing to fall back on, even if they're imperfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mullermn
If the simple act of posting it makes it seem damning, then that speaks for itself. It's not just "people" complaining.... its the engineers he hired to get it done. That means something. If Tesla is returning to adding radar again, then what does that say about the opinion of his engineers and the vision only approach?
To be fair, Elon always said HD radar would be valuable, just not the crap radar they had previously.

Overtime, vision only presented less phantom braking, for me, than radar did, but I did miss the 90 mph, 1 car length follow, and ability to see multiple cars ahead.