Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it always better to wait on FSD for credit card points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the people that want FSD is it always better to buy after and wait so you can get credit card points? Also not sure if tax factors but it will prob vary state to state/country.
Each state taxes things differently - in NJ there is no tax on EVs, so it would be best to buy it at the time of purchasing the car, as separately it would be charged sales tax. Other states, such as MA, charge an excise tax (which I am not terribly familiar with) repeatedly over the life of the car, so it might be a better deal to buy it separately? Definitely a YMMV situation, but regardless of all of that, if you've got a good regards card you might even be able to subsidize a vacation with an extra 10k points, haha.

Reactions: cityberty
There is no way it is even remotely worth 10k in its current iteration. I don't think I'd buy it at $8k. The latest version of AP in my MY LR is pretty sketchy to use as it is. The removal of radar on the 3/Y didn't do the safety features any good and to relay totally on vision alone, makes me even more concerned. They haven't upgraded any hardware in years. So while the MS will still have radar, if they write out of the code, and rely totally on vision, can't say I'll ever be a buyer unless they dramatically improve it.

I feel like I am being a beta tester even with AP in my MY. Hope it is better by the time my MS arrives.

btw FSD is going up to $14k or $15k soon, as seen in source code artifacts. My order is for $8k, I think it's worth that. $10k? Ehhh. Is it worth it at an even higher price? It better be damned amazing...
It’s not worth $10K, $8K, or even $5K as it stands today.

That being said; one thing to consider regarding a post-sale purchase, your insurance company may not cover it in the event the vehicle is in an accident. Typically the limit for add-on “accessories” is $5K.

Reactions: AMPd and DukeofURL
The OP LITERALLY asked "... so you can get credit card points."
The OP ACTUALLY asked "For the people that want FSD is it always better to buy after and wait so you can get credit card points?"

Using my highly tuned analytical skills to deduce meaning and intent from this sentence, it is obvious that the decision to spend $10,000 has already been made, and they are asking for advice on how to do it (with the initial purchase of the vehicle, or after the fact using a credit card).

The question you appear to be answering is "hey guys if I spend $10,000 on my credit card I get 10,000 points is that worth it or should I just leave it in my savings account?" But again, nobody asked that.

Back to the actual question - OP, I think you're right in that the details probably vary from locale to locale and it's certainly not "always" better to buy after the fact with a credit card.

Some specifics that are worth consideration:

• Some states, like New Jersey (referenced above), don't charge tax on EV purchases. This would make buying with the car the better deal.
  • Some states, like California, charge an annual vehicle license fee based on MSRP, starting at 0.65% of MSRP in year 1 and lowering to 0.0975% by year 11. This is significant, and recurring, so probably makes sense to buy post-sale and only pay the sales tax once.
  • The point about insurance is a good one, and in either case you should make sure that the full value of FSD is represented and accounted for in your policy, whether purchased with the car or after.

The OP ACTUALLY asked "For the people that want FSD is it always better to buy after and wait so you can get credit card points?"

Using my highly tuned analytical skills to deduce meaning and intent from this sentence, it is obvious that the decision to spend $10,000 has already been made, and they are asking for advice on how to do it (with the initial purchase of the vehicle, or after the fact using a credit card).

The question you appear to be answering is "hey guys if I spend $10,000 on my credit card I get 10,000 points is that worth it or should I just leave it in my savings account?" But again, nobody asked that.
Thanks yes for clarifying and sorry didnt mean for this to be an fsd is worth it or not purchase. that was not the intent

Back to the actual question - OP, I think you're right in that the details probably vary from locale to locale and it's certainly not "always" better to buy after the fact with a credit card.

Some specifics that are worth consideration:

• Some states, like New Jersey (referenced above), don't charge tax on EV purchases. This would make buying with the car the better deal.
  • Some states, like California, charge an annual vehicle license fee based on MSRP, starting at 0.65% of MSRP in year 1 and lowering to 0.0975% by year 11. This is significant, and recurring, so probably makes sense to buy post-sale and only pay the sales tax once.
  • The point about insurance is a good one, and in either case you should make sure that the full value of FSD is represented and accounted for in your policy, whether purchased with the car or after.
Crap didnt think about insurance. Thanks

I have it on my current car, and have it ordered on my next one. The auto lane change and on-ramp/off ramp handling works better than many human drivers, and the traffic light/stop sign handling works very well too. Personally, I enjoy riding the cutting edge of new features and getting to be a part of the genesis of self driving cars, but I can totally understand why someone wouldn’t like it. I have some friends who love it like me, and others who would never want it.

Reactions: GroovaEV and tkizzy
I want it if it actually works as truly autonomous driving. It is barely level 2 right now, maybe 2+ but being sold as level 5. For those who need a good reference to the levels of autonomous driving, this one is pretty concise. The other issue, besides that even AP hasn't worked that well for me, is Tesla is charging as if we were actually receiving full Level 5 capability but in essence getting much less.

I am typically an early tech adopter but this is one where if it makes a mistake, and you aren't paying close attention, you could die. If I have to be so riveted to what is going on, that sort of defeats the purpose of having autonomous driving. I find that often I am more on edge when it is engaged because I can't trust it. A good analogy was teaching my 15 year old to drive. That wasn't even close to autonomous driving even though he was behind the wheel. Everything was fine until it wasn't. Then I had to intervene immediately. I expect more out of the system than what is delivered. My son's driving system was "vision based" too and often I wished he had radar as a backup...

In my state, it depends on the taxes on the car purchase +$10K, or the sales taxes (if any) if you buy it after delivery. Also, will you pay car taxes every year on the added FSD, which you wouldn't if you purchase it after delivery on your credit card.