Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me or..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, the front doors (driver/passenger) could have been manual.
And in mine, they should have been.

As far as manual FWDs, I've given this some thought. The bulk isn't an issue; they could counterbalance them with struts of some sort. Our Odyssey tailgate is quite bulky but very easy to manage. With both, we need the option of manual and automatic. Not sure how they'd accomplish it, but I'd have preferred it as an option.

And in mine, they should have been.

As far as manual FWDs, I've given this some thought. The bulk isn't an issue; they could counterbalance them with struts of some sort. Our Odyssey tailgate is quite bulky but very easy to manage. With both, we need the option of manual and automatic. Not sure how they'd accomplish it, but I'd have preferred it as an option.

Still waiting on that one month review :)

...The bulk isn't an issue; they could counterbalance them with struts of some sort...
I had written weight instead of bulk, but I realized that weight could be dealt with. What I should have mentioned is height. A manual falcon wing door wouldn't be easy for some to pull down or raise if they couldn't reach the open door to close or push the door all the way up.

Model S is so much easier to deal with. Only the hatch can get damaged with a low ceiling.

I am very pleased with the changes to the Model X software in regard to seat movement. It's just about perfect. Those who sit in the back seat must learn how to stop the second row from moving any further than the "click" to latch. That is the only challenge at the present time.

IMHO, the front doors (driver/passenger) could have been manual. The falcon wing doors would be too bulky for manual operation. With electrically opening doors, the outside handles were no longer necessary. This provides a simple operation that is similar to Model S, except the door opens instead of the handle..
Yeah, it's a simple operation until there's a rain followed by freezing temperatures. Shortly after I got my X, that situation presented itself. I was able to climb in the trunk and worm my way forward. There is nothing to pull on when the doors are, literally, frozen. Obviously engineered in California. My problem occurred in early Spring. I have no idea what will happen in the Winter in NJ, much less in colder climates. I love my car, but I'm pretty much over the doors.

Forgive my straying so far afield from the Model 3 threads, but I'd like an MX owner's thoughts about the model's relying so heavily on powered doors. Is there some very good reason why they could not have been made manual? Too heavy? Is it really necessary to have the doors open for you, rather than you opening (and closing) the doors? I know mechanisms can be made so finely balanced they require very little effort. Which, to my way of thinking, is kind of cool.
The one piece of hardware that failed on my E-Class wagon was the powered closer on the tailgate. It ran all night, until the battery died. So I'm curious.
Thanks,
Robin
As for me..I hate touching door handles from the outside. IMHO they are magnets for germs..so I love that the doors open without my touching them.

And for passenger doors, I hate when my fellow riders slam the doors shut..makes me cringe..so I love that I can tell them not to bother with closing the doors and I just touch the screen and voila the doors close so gracefully...they are amazed and I am happy.

As for me..I hate touching door handles from the outside. IMHO they are magnets for germs..so I love that the doors open without my touching them.

And for passenger doors, I hate when my fellow riders slam the doors shut..makes me cringe..so I love that I can tell them not to bother with closing the doors and I just touch the screen and voila the doors close so gracefully...they are amazed and I am happy.
Just remember, "God made dirt & dirt don't hurt." Spoken by a little boy eating a handful of dirt on the playground.

• Funny
Reactions: xkwizit
IMHO, the front doors (driver/passenger) could have been manual. The falcon wing doors would be too bulky for manual operation. With electrically opening doors, the outside handles were no longer necessary. This provides a simple operation that is similar to Model S, except the door opens instead of the handle.

Since electrical opening falcon wing doors are so cool, perhaps the designers wanted similar enjoyment for driver and passenger doors. When they operate properly, it is magical. The door operation has greatly improved with software and hardware revisions.

Since we are talking about MX front doors, I was surprised when I opened the driver's door in a parking lot and it swung right into the car next to me... bang! (thankfully, no damage to either car) I just took delivery yesterday, so this is only my second day with my MX.... I was surprised it did not stop for objects like the falcon wing door. Is that the way they are supposed to work or do I have a sensor issue?

Since we are talking about MX front doors, I was surprised when I opened the driver's door in a parking lot and it swung right into the car next to me... bang! (thankfully, no damage to either car) I just took delivery yesterday, so this is only my second day with my MX.... I was surprised it did not stop for objects like the falcon wing door. Is that the way they are supposed to work or do I have a sensor issue?
The sensors are not in the doors where they should be IMHO. They are in the FWD and share the capability. So was the FWD also next to the car in question or was there a different spacing?

One way to test this is to stand in front of the drivers FWD when you reach forward and press the handle on the front door. It should only go out as far as where you are standing. If it goes out further than perhaps you sensors are bad and you should be careful with your FWD too.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
Since the sensors are in the FWD, how much the front doors open is dependent upon how the FWDs perceive the obstruction which is also visible on your screen. Like when I park the X in my garage, there is a pillar next to where the driver side FWD is. The screen shows a red curved line next to the FWD. And the driver door will only open the smallest.

As a general rule for front doors (both driver and passenger) best practice is to keep a hand on the door at the little wedge coin holder just in case the door swings out more than you want it too.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
...I was surprised when I opened the driver's door in a parking lot and it swung right into the car next to me... bang! (thankfully, no damage to either car)...
I park so far away from other cars that the swinging driver door has plenty of room.

When there is minimal room, I like keeping one hand on the door pull. I ask the passenger to do the same!

I park so far away from other cars that the swinging driver door has plenty of room.

When there is minimal room, I like keeping one hand on the door pull. I ask the passenger to do the same!
@Mark Z - same with us too. We try to find isolated spots for both cars but sometimes I return to my car and find a huge hulking truck parked next to mine and I wonder..really..of all the empty spots this guy chose the stall next to my car :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: Mark Z and aesculus