Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me that is disapointed by the cargo space!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2008 Mazda 3 has 11.5 cubic feet in the trunk, and the only time it's ever been an issue is when I'm driving my friends to/from the airport, with 3 adults and their luggage all going it can be a tight fit (but have never had to do more than have backpacks / bags in laps, have always fit everything).

For myself and my wife, I don't foresee any problems. As long as it can eventually fit a stroller if we have a kid, we'll make it work.

Well this is disappointing. Our old 2000 Olds Alero, which was classified as a compact sedan, is 1.9" longer and has 14.6 cuft. of cargo space in the trunk. (I did realize that the Alero was one of the largest compact sedans.)

I still think I can make a Model 3 work, but I'm surprised by the specs so far.

Compare cargo storage with the Cadillac CT6 PHEV version.
Priced over double the M3 and there is less cargo space.
See it in person and look for the small hidden storage areas under the trunk load floor.
Is GM counting that in their cargo calculations?
Most buyers will look elsewhere.
After reading test drive details about the electric to gas acceleration hesitation,
the CT6 PHEV should be avoided altogether.

CT6 PHEV Trunk

Cadillac-CT6-plug-in-Shanghai-rear-cutaway.jpg

CT6 Trunk
4904445_09146_2016-cadillac-ct6_005.JPG

CT6 PHEV Battery
2016-01-1159-ct6-phev-ress-rechargeable-energy-storage-system_orig.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Laban and Mark Z
A better question to ask is could they have made the trunk bigger without trade offs somewhere else?

Looking like a box on wheels is not an acceptable trade off for me.

An old 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan that gets 1000 miles per year is a much better goods hauler than the 3 or X ever will be for 1/14th the price of an X.

The 13cft on my Lexus IS is fine for 98% of the time and the seats don't fold. The M3 is a upgrade for me.

Since the AWD is delayed I am skipping that option and buying a used SUV. That gives me a backup vehicle, more space, towing, rural travel and 4 wheel drive.

I think you will be impressed by the leg room, because it appears that Tesla chose passenger comfort over cargo space. My Jetta Wagon was the opposite, lots of space for cargo, but passengers were crammed in. Keep in mind that passenger space can also be cargo space, unless your car is full of passengers. Overall, the Model 3 is longer and wider than most cars in its class, so I think in totality it will have ample room.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq