Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me that is disapointed by the cargo space!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not understand the obsession over cargo space.

My model 3 will be an everyday car meaning I expect to drive it to work comfortably, haul the family on vacation with a ton of baby stuff, have enough space to carry grocery and even carry several check-in luggage bags when I drop friends and family at the airport sometimes. My 9 year old Prius does all that. Simples!

Last edited:
The presented capacity is better than the intended competition.
TM3 comps.jpg

My model 3 will be an everyday car meaning I expect to drive it to work comfortably, haul the family on vacation with a ton of baby stuff, have enough space to carry grocery and even carry several check-in luggage bags when I drop friends and family at the airport sometimes. My 9 year old Prius does all that. Simples!

This!
I mean, I was actually shocked when I first read about the Model 3 cargo capacity.
It is less than on my 2004 E46 3-series coupe (which certainly is not renowned for being a very practical and roomy vehicle), even though the Model 3 has a trunk and a frunk and is almost 14 inches longer!
Where has all that real estate gone? Especially as Elon mentioned how good the room economy was due to certain design tweaks.

My "frunk" is filled with a 6-cylinder engine plus all its additional components. I have a fuel tank and thanks to RWD a transmission tunnel. The Model 3 has none of that, plus is significantly longer. Imho that doesn't compute.

I do not understand the obsession over cargo space. Buy a minivan if that is such a big deal. How often will any of you REALLY load your 3 fully? Model 3 vs Model S - half the price, half the space, more or less. Buy a small trailer.

Sorry, but what a stupid comment.
See above, even if one doesn't frequently transport loads of stuff, how come a 13 year old 3-series coupe with quite a bit smaller exterior dimensions and filled with space-consuming ICE tech can have more cargo capacity with one trunk than a larger Model 3 with two?

Last edited:
My "frunk" is filled with a 6-cylinder engine. I have a fuel tank and thanks to RWD a transmission tunnel. The Model 3 has none of that, plus is significantly longer. Imho that doesn't compute.

It will make more sense when the passenger capacity numbers come out. Odds are those numbers will be much larger than the competition, and that is where all the space went.

The presented capacity is better than the intended competition.View attachment 228954

Judging by these numbers.....the "14 cu ft" we're being presented with so far is also likely the "all seats in place" number your chart shows.

and as @Az_Rael said above, the passenger seating space is likely to be larger than the segment's average.

So logic dictates that cargo space will work out quite nicely if you ever need to drop the seats and transport something larger.

The presented capacity is better than the intended competition.View attachment 228954
Why bring up facts when the idea of the thread is to suggest 'alternative facts'. I should not be snippy, but I do think it is surpassing strange that the discussion ignores the actual comparable vehicles. If what one wants is a SUV-style capacity in a similar sized package, one must wait for Model Y, the I-Pace or the upcoming offerings from many builders around 2020 or so. The Model 3 is a sedan (or saloon) and has quite decent specifications in that category.

We might be better of debating probably energy efficiency, thus expected range for the Model 3 60 and the Model 3 larger battery size. There we might end out having some good surprises.

There's a lot of negativity flying around lately. I hope people start cancelling their orders before the final reveal. Any help getting closer to the top of the East Coast Production Queue is appreciated.

;);)

Not going to cancel (yet), but even if I did, chances are you wouldn't move up the queue, as I am willing to bet that you will get your car before me anyway, me being from bad, bad* Germany. ;)

*at least according to your Royal Trumpness.

We might be better of debating probably energy efficiency, thus expected range for the Model 3 60 and the Model 3 larger battery size. There we might end out having some good surprises.

There's already another thread for this, and (not so) surprisingly, it's gotten snippy over there as well.

Everyone is expecting this car to be all things to all people. LOL

Reactions: jbcarioca
Not going to cancel (yet), but even if I did, chances are you wouldn't move up the queue, as I am willing to bet that you will get your car before me anyway, me being from bad, bad Germany. ;)

Ah, true. But pretty much any order cancellation in the US helps me out, seeing as I am on the East Coast and a non-owner....PLUS, I'm waiting for P75D. I'm probably in the last batch going on the line before international production starts.

It isn't just you. The first cargo disappointment was the trunk versus hatch. And now it seems like quite minimal space. This will be my largest car and apparently the smallest cargo capacity.

I know there are plenty of people who simply wish to transport themselves to work and back. I need a car to do much, much more. so to me, this stuff is very important.
How much larger do you think the cargo space would be if it was a hatch vs a trunk?

I don't get the disappointment here. its a sedan. I mean, there are probably some similar proportioned sedans that have an extra cu ft or two, but its not exactly a surprise that sedans aren't heavy on storage space. now if they omitted something that sedans normally have, **ahem** gauge cluster **ahem**, i could see people creating a stir

Reactions: EinSV
I don't get the disappointment here. its a sedan. I mean, there are probably some similar proportioned sedans that have an extra cu ft or two, but its not exactly a surprise that sedans aren't heavy on storage space. now if they omitted something that sedans normally have, **ahem** gauge cluster **ahem**, i could see people creating a stir

If you want a gauge cluster, you have infinite options.

I'm trying to visualize how big 13 cubic feet is. I am picturing cardboard boxes measuring 12X12X12. That's a cubic foot. 13 of these boxes will supposedly fit in a 3, but what about all the seat space? A lot of cubic feet there aren't being counted.