Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it me or is FSD/AP much better on 2020.4.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a lot of driving today and it seemed to handle areas where it used to struggle much better. If you keep your hands on the wheel, you can kind of "feel" it when the car is getting unsure. The steering wheel start to shake and move back and forth a little. It only did that a couple times in around 150 miles.

I only had one phantom brake event and it really cannot be explained. I was on a country road with farms on each side and not another car in sight. No shadows as there has been no sun in Chicago in at least a week /sigh... But that's another story.

All in all it feels like this was a great update for AP/FSD especially for those of us brave enough to use it on city streets :)

It’s you.

I still find it ping-pongs a lot on the highway (although I’ve finally got used to the sensation it’s not good). Also the issues with the car slamming on the brakes for cars in lanes to the right of HOV lane openings is still not fixed so I still have to hover and override the accelerator.

It’s you.

I still find it ping-pongs a lot on the highway (although I’ve finally got used to the sensation it’s not good). Also the issues with the car slamming on the brakes for cars in lanes to the right of HOV lane openings is still not fixed so I still have to hover and override the accelerator.

Yes, I drove it yesterday on the freeway. The worst self-driving I've ever had. When I bought the car back in 11/2018 I drove it on the same highway, that time was much better than current.
Panic braking for a car merging two lanes to the right is a little freakish. Ping ponging, panic braking multiple times, no for a car running 2.5 it is another lousy experience.

I took a long trip yesterday and tested out Nav on AP. It was much better than before. I think it's ready for FSD on freeways now.

Auto lane change were changing like a human. Just a couple of spots to polish up like using large gaps vs smaller gaps. Car will still slow down by a big margin to squeeze behind a car when changing lanes, but there was a huge gap in front of the car. As a human, we would speed up and get in front of the other car by using the larger gap ahead. I didn't like the car's logic but it did fine. I didn't intervene at all for most of the trip. Before I would use NOA for 5 min and give up. Now I use it about 30-40min sprints.

There are also areas where the map is way out dated. Map shows 2019 but the new carpool lane was built like 4 years ago. Car will get out of carpool and get back in. Then it would turn on the blinker to change to the left lane which is now a wall. There are also areas where the carpool lane splits into 2 freeways. Car still using out dated map would take the wrong one.

Just more polish and better maps, I think the car can do most of my home to work drives without me paying much attention. Seems like we are close to have FSD. Hope Tesla get this figured out and submit for Gov approval.

In general I am also seeing much less ping ponging on 2020.4.1 and the car does better at staying in its lane on shallow curves when before it would get close to the lane lines for no good reason on 2019.40.50.

In the city it can cross intersections (without lines) at low speeds more reliably.

Mild improvements I would say, not earth shattering..

Like riding the cars at Disneyland w/o steering them yourself, bang-bang-bang back and forth. Terrible, my sister's ProPilot Honda is always going to be like that, no monthly updates coming. She doesn't trust any automated car after her experience with it. Flipped out when I took her in my TM3 w/o holding the wheel. That was also back in the rare reminders to hold the wheel days, so I may understand a bit.

It’s you.

Have you tried shutting down the car for 2 minutes using the shutdown button (as opposed to pushing the two scroll wheels). After I did this, the car recalibrated whatever it needed to recalibrate and the ping-ponging essentially was fixed.

NOA still takes approximately 11-12 flashes of the turn signal to complete a lane change. It’s far too slow to use in any serious traffic.

Also the same erroneous suggestions to change lanes to follow route still has not improved.

Reactions: israndy
Did some test driving in Autopilot on city roads today. With new update lane changes were faster and smoother and didn’t notice any ping pong at all. And less of that subtle fast correction the steering wheel does under your hands that you notice and the passenger never notices when asked. This is on a 2020 stealth model 3. Still seeing a 10-12 mile boost also. Very obvious on the stats battery health monitor screen (bottom axis is odometer).

image.jpg

Yeah this doesn't sound right. I'm getting whiplash from how quickly it changes lanes now.
If you are driving along and want to change lanes than yes, it starts the turn immediately assuming it's safe. I believe the previous mention was on how when AUTOPILOT wants to change lanes it feels interminable, especially in LA traffic. I assume that the difference is that it's checking the road 1000x a second, while when it turns on the turn signal and you should be checking to be sure it's safe it has to wait for you to look up from your Palm Pilot and check your mirrors, so it signals waits and then turns.

My only gripe is that this gives other drivers the opportunity to speed up and fill that space. When I drive I see an opening and I take it. When is Tesla going to drive like me?