Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it normal for an 80% charge to show 228 miles with MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats pretty much my MYP at 9,834 miles. If I do full charge it'll show 285 (but was climbing slowly mile by mile until I hit 287 before I had to head to Lowes; this was yesterday; haven't fully charged the battery since September of 2022 when I picked it up).

Thanks, I don't think mine is 303 full charged. It somewhere around 297 (2022 Model) Also, I have had sentry mode on. I will turn it off for home and see if that improves the charge.
303 is the EPA rating, which you can't get unless you somehow manage to replicate the EPA's (or Tesla's) exact testing conditions.

Most will get less than the rating.

I prefer to ignore that... my typical driving habits will never allow me to come close to any EPA rating.

303 is the EPA rating, which you can't get unless you somehow manage to replicate the EPA's (or Tesla's) exact testing conditions.

Most will get less than the rating.

I prefer to ignore that... my typical driving habits will never allow me to come close to any EPA rating.

The reason OP might be referring to the miles available is because they're trying to guage battery degradation i.e. if I fully charge and have 285 and divide by 303 I have approx 94% life left in the battery; I believe that's what the OP is trying to accomplish rather than deriving that 303 miles should be the total range going 55mph on a flat road 0% wind and standard outside temperature 🤔

The reason OP might be referring to the miles available is because they're trying to guage battery degradation i.e. if I fully charge and have 285 and divide by 303 I have approx 94% life left in the battery; I believe that's what the OP is trying to accomplish rather than deriving that 303 miles should be the total range going 55mph on a flat road 0% wind and standard outside temperature 🤔
That’s true, assuming they’re looking at the range near top of the screen.

This is interesting, I think measuring miles is not a direct way to establish the battery capacity in Ah. Is Ah a parameter that is available to the customers, as to how much is total battery charge capacity?

For example for my laptop, I can look up this information below. Is there such information available for the MY.
Charge Information:
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 7866
State of Charge (%): 100

BTW 80% charge range for my MYP is 239 miles, the car was picked a week and half ago, almost has 500 miles on it.

Just going by my experience with M3SR+ (240 mile range) that was purchased in 2019, the 80% charge started off at 192miles and has dropped to 175miles over the course of 1st year and has held steady at that, it has about 55k miles on it. I am expecting some drop over the first year and then hoping that it holds steady for the coming years.

Reactions: Macgyverfever
Correct, that was the reason for my asking. I know it wont go the miles shown unless I use EPA's standards. I just wanted to make sure my battery degradation was in line with other.

I think measuring miles is not a direct way to establish the battery capacity in Ah. Is Ah a parameter that is available to the customers, as to how much is total battery charge capacity?

Yes, the rated miles are a direct measurement in Ah of the battery capacity, or rather the estimated capacity according to the BMS (which is the best estimate in the world of your pack’s capacity and is what the car uses to determine when to shut down, so any other “actual” value is irrelevant). They are always directly in sync with zero deviation. Rated miles have units of energy, not distance.

You just have to know the conversion factor, which is easily established through at least 4 methods for any vehicle model and trim level - 1) rated line minus 5Wh/mi 2) Energy screen parameters divided by rated miles 3) metering carefully, and dividing by the correct factor(s) (Model Y/3 about 0.955) 4) toggling display mode on a large supercharging session and dividing the two values appropriately (only 2 sig figs though unless you sit there a long time using the heat, and probably the session would terminate, not sure!)

Last edited:
Don’t forget the temperature also effects the range, in the winter my MYP gets like 180 miles tops. I’m charging it down to wheat I can and keep it topped off at 80 percent. Mostly northeast is holds and curves, not including crater and land mines roads. Once you swap out the Uberturbines to lighter wheels , you will get most of the range back. I love the Uberturbines, but not worth the hassle of range loss and expense of limited tire sizes.

My 2022 MYP shows about 220 miles range at 80 percent charge. It’s been like that for about the last 20k miles (it has about 32k miles now). Mostly charge at home at 6-7 kwh with maybe once a month at a supercharger. I generally just use the percent charge and don’t worry about the miles…and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: yellowr6