Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it normal to roll back on hills?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Standard

I have a 2013 five-speed manual Jetta right now and it does not rollback on hills but automatically activates the brakes appropriately. It works quite well. If this basic sedan can have this feature I expect Tesla to have it as well. Or it's really just a coat hook trick.

Thanks. Really wonder why, in a car with an automatic "transmission" (like with the MS), the hill-hold thing isn't just a given.

Anyway, thanks for confirming this!

Easiest way to combat this is to do the two foot trick. Use your left foot on the brake and right on the accelorator and depress them at the same time. Simply let off of the brake and the car will go without rolling back. The car will give a warning that you have both depressed at the same time but it's not damaging to the car.

Thanks. Really wonder why, in a car with an automatic "transmission" (like with the MS), the hill-hold thing isn't just a given.

Anyway, thanks for confirming this!
Terminology question:
Why do you say the Model S has an automatic transmission? Or rather, what makes it not a standard transmission? Or better yet, do such terms even apply when there is 1 gear?

The Tesla Model S is a very intuitive car to drive if you are used to a manual transmission (rolling, deceleration without using brakes, etc). May seem odd to those who are used to only automatics. I can't see the the need for a hill holder on an automatic or the Tesla when we have a left foot to put on the brake. Maybe in a manual transmission with a clutch.