TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is it possible to enforce limit on power/speed?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by redox, Nov 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. redox

redox Member

Can the car be configured such that whoever you leave the car with won't be able to go above such limit?
    I'm thinking of some kind of equivalent to a "valet mode" where you can't really go crazy with it. 30 MPH limit, 50 HP. :cool:

I think Tesla does something like this with its loaners, but was wondering if that's something we can do ourselves too?

-- Greg

2. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

There is a speed cap on loaner/demo cars. The feature is not exposed to owners. This is part of the long-requested pin controlled valet mode feature. I have a driving teenager and would very much like to limit speed, torque, acceleration. I was a teenager once and know what I would do if given the opportunity :)

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Soon promised that Valet Mode was coming "soon" a year and a half ago at TESLIVE. In fact he said the functionality was already there, just not exposed to the user. I would expect that this type of limited would be part of that feature.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Soon = Elon (stupid auto correct)

5. green1

green1 Active Member

Somehow it's an entertaining substitution considering that "soon" seems to be a common theme from Elon, and it tends to mean the opposite...

6. tom66

tom66 Member

That's just Elon Time™. Compare: VALVE Time, or "It'll be ready when it's ready"

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

To add on to this, I've always wished I could limit the power draw to help range.

8. redox

redox Member

I wonder why it's taking so long, I mean it's just a matter of exposing an existing functionality in the User Interface. Yes, it's work, but it sounds like they've already done 90+% of the work...

Oh well, too bad. Hopefully it will get software upgraded "soon".

-- Greg

9. Tasdevil

Tasdevil Member

Great idea, would be nice to create your own restrictions. So you set the speed and power limit for valet mode. Then another setting for friends/kids.
    Creating your own modes and settings seems better than just a preset valet mode.

10. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

#10 digitaltim, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    I really want this implemented on a profile basis...some of which cannot be switched from, edited or accessed without a password.

11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

We have this on the Roadster and it works well. I am very surprised the Model S does not have this. I think it should be required for the D models.