Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to swap orders with someone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if it’s possible to swap orders with someone else?

Some backstory is I started with a 6 seat order, later changed it to a 5 seat which has now been confirmed. The family pendulum swung the other way towards the 6 seat however the car just went into production and I can’t change it. The only way I could get a 6 seat at this point is to not take delivery, forfeit my deposit and free super charging and place a new order… Or, maybe I could find someone with an identical configuration who wishes they ordered the 5 seat and finding that could be its own challenge.

Has anyone ever heard of a case where two people wanted to swap builds and Tesla helped make it happen?

...Tesla helped make it happen?

I never heard that Tesla would help owners to swap cars.

In theory, you can do it on your own but it sounds too complicated even among trusted family members.

Each of you need to take your delivery first.

Then sign over your car title to each other.

In so doing, you both lose Federal credit because neither of you would be a first owner of a newly just swapped car.

I talked to them today to get the news that it was now in production and that I'm stuck. It wasn't until this evening when this came to mind and figured I'd ask the wider audience in advance of me talking to them again tomorrow for anyone with a similar experience or hearing of one.

Wasn't (isn't) there a feature to add another name to the order? In theory you could both have each names on the order and then make sure only the "appropriate names" are loaded into the system as registered owner etc.

But it does not sound like you have the other buyer at hand anyway so all this is moot?

...both have each names on the order...

Co-titling could solve the problem of Federal Tax Credit.

Each of you would both have your names on each car title.

Each of you would promise to only claim an agreed unique VIN from those 2 swapped cars.

Now, you might also want to agree with each other that don't leave the car at the scene after robbing the bank or the other innocent co-owner might get blamed :)