Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it smarter to wait before ordering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rg3500

Supporting Member
Jun 14, 2020
Woodstock, NY
Newbie question. Planning on buying my first Tesla, a Model Y LR AWD but after reading so many posts about problems in new vehicles and Elon’s plans to walk the production line every week to improve quality I am wondering if it would be wise wait a couple of months before ordering. Please give me your opinions and educated guesses:
1) Do you have any sense if Model Y quality / fit and finish issues are improving lately?
2) Do you think I’d be better off waiting a few months before ordering my first Tesla?

I took delivery of mine in early June with many of the same problems as those in this forum (scratches, paint, fit & finish). Not sure Tesla has the problems under control, but for the most part they aren’t major. Personally i’d order and then reject at delivery if it isn’t up to your standards (and if you need the car now).

Reactions: Rg3500
Newbie question. Planning on buying my first Tesla, a Model Y LR AWD but after reading so many posts about problems in new vehicles and Elon’s plans to walk the production line every week to improve quality I am wondering if it would be wise wait a couple of months before ordering. Please give me your opinions and educated guesses:
1) Do you have any sense if Model Y quality / fit and finish issues are improving lately?
2) Do you think I’d be better off waiting a few months before ordering my first Tesla?

I think the answers to those questions are like any tech; you get something when you're ready. If you want FSD, that feature set has a history of going up and up...and Elon has stated it will continue to raise in value. Not that that issue should drive your decision. I think they're addressing issues as they go, but you won't get a perfect car. My rep when I picked up my MY on Wednesday was clear about that. Just document and address as you go, and you always have seven days if the fit/finish issues are completely unacceptable to you. We all have varying levels of tolerance. One note I found interesting is my service rep, upon me commenting that the back seats were perfect (aligned, went down with the button pushes several times) said they were the "second generation" seats.

I test drove a MY about a month ago but plan to wait until later this year to order. I don't need the car at the moment and want to see if the quality improves. I don't plan to order FSD at order time, to keep the MSRP under $55k and qualify for NJ rebate. But will probably add it later.

If you want FSD, that feature set has a history of going up and up...and Elon has stated it will continue to raise in value. Not that that issue should drive your decision.

do any of you that have been watching for a while have any sort of feel for how often that price typically goes up... when would be our guess as to the next FSD price jack?

I picked up my MY in the middle of June (vin number in the low 10xxx range). It had the rear seat alignment issue, a slight rear door panel alignment issue, a slight door charger alignment issue, and possibly the slight mismatching paint issue common with the pearl white color (but it’s so slight and dependent on the angle of light hitting the car that I’m not sure the mismatch even exists). Honestly, it’s very unlikely that I would have noticed any of these issues had I not read about them on this forum — and they were all promptly fixed by our local Tesla SC within a week after I took delivery.

Unlike many folks who post here, I am not normally a car enthusiast. In the past, I’ve been more interested in practicality than performance. But I’ve been absolutely blown away by how much I have enjoyed every moment of driving this car — its performance and handling are truly remarkable. It really does make every other vehicle that I’ve ever owned or driven seem like an antiquated relic of the past. The fact that it’s powered by clean energy produced by my roof was the main reason I bought the car, and is now just icing on the cake.

So my advice is if absolute perfect fit and finish is important to you, you might want to consider waiting; otherwise, get one as soon as you can, it’s an absolutely awesome car to drive.