Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it time to cancel my power wall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congratulations on your new Powerwalls!
Not sure of your exact case, but one reason AC units can be problematic, is they have high startup currents. Its unlikely that 2
Powerwalls would start 2 average air conditioners simultaneously, unless they are very low LRA, or a soft start is installed. One normal sized AC alone probably will be fine with 2 of them.
Just know that in a power outage you might need to manually turn one of the ac off, especially if they are both trying to fire up at the same time.
They were only suppose to link up one AC due to the surge if there's a black out. Two units would have been too much. They did add an 80A overcurrent protector to prevent the surge in my situation. In New York we do get crazy weather in the summer and towards the beginning of fall, good to know that I can have cool air during this time is a comfort. The installation is set in a closet in a finished basement. They did request that I remove the doors during the electrical inspection.

I ordered a single PW just over two years ago. Giving up on Tesla, late last year I ordered from a local PV installer who finished the install yesterday. I already have plenty of PV so it was a PW only deal. Cost was just over $12k. Price quote for a second electric meter install is just over $13k for a single unit.
I am almost certain to want at least two battery units at each location so I am letting my Tesla order ride in hopes that they will eventually come through.

Now, I am struggling to get online access to the PW. I hope that shakes out in a few days.

Modern A/C and heat pumps are usually fitted with scroll compressors often equipped with inverters or soft start circuits. Their startup demands are much more modest than in the old days when it took 3 or more times the running current to get them started. To the point that in a 1 second resolution power consumption plot the startup is barely noticeable. If your backup system can handle the running load it can most probably handle the start up but of course you should determine what the starting requirements of the equipment actually are.

All modern units record when the compressor last stopped and will not start it again until some delay. In many units this delay can be programmed. In that case you can stagger the startup between multiple units in order to prevent simultaneous startup. As inrush is now more modest this is less of a problem. So, by extension, if your system can handle the load of two running A/C's it can most likely be configured to handle the starting of two. Again check that you particular equipment has this capability.

Last edited:
Reactions: jnt76
Hang in there with your reservation. I placed my order and deposit for 3 Powerwall 2s way back in October 2016. Last week I finally got an installation date scheduled, February 6 & 7. It's been a long wait, but there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

Grand total with installation: $19,440 ($6,480 each)
Thanks. Let us know how your installation went.

Thanks. Let us know how your installation went.

Installation was started today. Our north wall is starting to look like an industrial zone, but as long as it all works, I'm good with it. :) Installers will be out tomorrow to finish up the installation.

Powerwalls.jpg

Wall.jpg

Isn't it nice to see all those batteries! Congratulations!

Sometimes we take a gutter box and run it along the top or bottom of the installation to reduce the spaghetti look.

Wow your AHJ must have a thing for AC disconnects! One for each inverter, then 2 more? I am surprised they didn't make you put in one for each of the the Powerwalls, since they are more than 5' away from the point of connection.

Isn't it nice to see all those batteries! Congratulations!

Sometimes we take a gutter box and run it along the top or bottom of the installation to reduce the spaghetti look.

Wow your AHJ must have a thing for AC disconnects! One for each inverter, then 2 more? I am surprised they didn't make you put in one for each of the the Powerwalls, since they are more than 5' away from the point of connection.

Yep, DC disconnects and AC disconnects, then our old LA battery backup system disconnect and bypass. I think I finally understand how it is all wired up now, after spending several hours watching and talking to the Solar City guys. :)

It's all installed and working now.
Here is a mugshot with our $6, no-doubt-unlicensed, made-in-China, bought-on-eBay, matching die cast Tesla Model X.
Powerwall.jpg

In areas that can receive substantial snowfall, the only issue with Powerwalls as opposed to generators is that you may have no means of recharging if your solar panels are buried in snow. We just received over two feet of snow over the course of the last week, which was much more than initially expected, and our Powerwalls are now down to 7% charge as a result of several storm-related grid outages. I did make the mistake of not setting the Powerwalls to charge up close to 100% before the storms came.

We cannot recharge from the grid when it's up, because we're in the US and solar-coupled Powerwalls are programmed by Tesla to only use solar energy. This is to preserve their eligibility for the full 30% federal ITC (Investment Tax Credit) on solar systems. The only way around this may be to use Storm Watch mode, but that mode only enables grid charging when the very highest level of NWS weather alert is in effect.

It occurs to me that one potential, future ITC-compliant solution might be to add a small, relatively inexpensive, residential-grade wind turbine with an inverter, since storms are generally accompanied by wind. To avoid running afoul of one's utility company, all wind energy might have to be used on site, either to charge Powerwalls or to supply the house. I'd love to see Tesla support such an option.

In theory, for emergency purposes, a Powerwall user might be able to wire a wind turbine circuit into an existing solar subpanel, but there could be unintended consequences and legal issues. Personally, rather than pursuing such a "bootleg" approach, I think we'll just live without electricity, if it comes to that, and fire up a woodstove for heat in one room.

At this juncture, I've making efforts to remove snow from some of our solar panels, but it's not easy because our roof is high and hard to reach in these conditions. Once the temperature gets above freezing late tomorrow morning, I may try using a garden hose to get some of the snow off. We have more snow on the way and I'd really like to get some charge into the Powerwalls while the sun is out.

@abasile if you're really desperate to get some more energy into your Powerwalls, you could run a load circuit's wire through the solar CTs to fool the Powerwalls into charging.
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully, I'll succeed at getting some snow off the solar panels later this morning!

In the Tesla app, our Powerwalls are now showing 3% charge; they apparently dropped about 4% over the last 12 hours or so, even with the grid functioning normally. This is consistent with what we've previously observed when the temperature is well below freezing (-7 C or so). I'm assuming the Powerwalls are trying to keep themselves warm. They are installed outdoors, under a porch. (We don't have an enclosed garage; otherwise, a garage would have been a more ideal location for the Powerwalls.)

In spite of these trials, which are very minor in the grand scheme of things, it sure is nice being up here in the mountains to enjoy good snow and such beauty. With my backcountry skis, I've carved out some good turns in the National Forest just outside our neighborhood! Pristine powder available to anyone who's willing to ski or hike uphill. And we're grateful that the Powerwalls have kept the power on so far.

Yep, DC disconnects and AC disconnects, then our old LA battery backup system disconnect and bypass. I think I finally understand how it is all wired up now, after spending several hours watching and talking to the Solar City guys. :)

It's all installed and working now.
Here is a mugshot with our $6, no-doubt-unlicensed, made-in-China, bought-on-eBay, matching die cast Tesla Model X.
View attachment 375391
Looks good! You can update your signature now :)

Reactions: SSonnentag
Hang in there with your reservation. I placed my order and deposit for 3 Powerwall 2s way back in October 2016. Last week I finally got an installation date scheduled, February 6 & 7. It's been a long wait, but there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

Grand total with installation: $19,440 ($6,480 each)
Hey is that link to your actual solar system production. Just curious what you have at home.
Troy

Yeah, that's a more or less real time readout of our solar production. We have 52 panels, a little over 12 kW. We've had it for about 9 years now.
Ok I’m jealous, LOL that’s super nice. I was wondering how you had so much production. We went with Hyundai panels 28 of them. Wish I could have done more but I don’t think I can. It’s still just over 10 kw system. I’m still learning the best way to benefit from our production. So many cool things to learn as all this technology becomes available.

Attachments

• E7E24FC5-54A2-44AD-8204-54CFBC99B802.jpeg
    E7E24FC5-54A2-44AD-8204-54CFBC99B802.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
Ok I’m jealous, LOL that’s super nice. I was wondering how you had so much production. We went with Hyundai panels 28 of them. Wish I could have done more but I don’t think I can. It’s still just over 10 kw system. I’m still learning the best way to benefit from our production. So many cool things to learn as all this technology becomes available.

Our roofs make panel installation much easier than yours. :D You’ve made good use of the space you have though. We were only limited by what the power company would approve. They only allow a limited amount of over-production.

22FD5127-4D8D-4A50-B825-78E56B3AF271.jpeg

Reactions: cr0ntab and Shygar
At the time I had my solar installed 11 years ago, the power company would only allow a certain amount over your current usage. However, it was a second home at the time and with a written letter to the power company explaining that, I was allowed to install as large of a system as I could fit on my roof. It has allowed me to add AC and a spa, plug-in hybrid, electric golf cart and more and still have an over-production over the course of my annual true-up.

Very off topic, but hello fellow Coronian :p

/continue thread