Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it too arrogant to put my Tesla into the 4th parade? Need honesty.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need your honesty please. I've registered to put our Tesla Model S into the 4th parade. I don't have any sponsor's, it's just me, the car, and the kids holding a sign & distributing informational flyers about Tesla. My husband and his friend, are starting to say it's a bad idea and will cause negativity. They feel this is to braggy brag and a show off. My initial intention was to put it in the parade, because so many people stop to see the car and thought they would like to see one. My intention was not to come off as a show off, however maybe it does look that way? So, I want honest opinion's before I decide to bail out. I don't want to create a bad reputation in our community.

If you are worried about that then don't have a sign that mentions it is a Tesla. You can still have flyers to hand out when people walk up later and ask 'what kind of car is that?'. I think you'll be fine. Anyone offended by you driving a Tesla would likely have been offended by something else and needs to have thicker skin.

If you are worried about that then don't have a sign that mentions it is a Tesla.

I think this is really good advice. Emphasizing the Tesla bit could possibly look like advertising for Tesla, which people might not like in a parade - or, if they assume it's all about you rather than the automaker, then it could seem like you're focusing on the car you drive which is where people might get the idea that you are "bragging". I don't think most would get that impression, but some might.

I'd focus on an "American car, American fuel" type of message - more fitting for the 4th, and keeps people focused on the socially beneficial aspects of the car rather than the personally elite ones. It is usually seen as more educational than showy. Hand out printed flyers mentioning all plug-ins available, rather than just Tesla. If you know any Leaf or Volt owners in your area, have them join you.

This will be my fourth 4th of July parade with a bunch of other EVs, and the reception has always been very good. (At least the audible reception; I'm sure somewhere there is somebody muttering to his friend about how these cars are going to send the country down the tubes. But those people will have that reaction whether the car is in a parade or not).

I'm planning on taking/putting mine in the Redmond Oregon parade. There's floats, police motorcycles, fire dept (old and new) etc., but it's mostly classic cars, and some cool new ones, corvettes through the ages, etc. So the Tesla would be just the very latest car in the parade.

The only thing holding me (possibly) from going, is that I'd be driving 160 miles the day before, charge up at my brothers overnight, do the parade, and then hustle home to make a dinner party with my wife and kids... so I'd being doing the trip mostly for myself, and being away from the family during a fair chunk of the 4th.

My brother is the director of the chamber, the ones putting on the parade, he thinks it would be great to have it in.

For you... I'd go for it! Just hand out a flyer if people ask for it. I'd have a temp license plate cover that says "Made in America" too. ;)

Go for it, I say. Tesla Motors in an American success story, and should be celebrated in a 4th of July parade! Tesla represents the finest in American innovation and engineering, and a new level of quality manufacturing! Why should we not be proud of this car and this company? Yeah, brag a little, why not? The Model S is the car of the future, arguably the best car made in the world today. It is the technology which will get us off of dependency on "foreign oil." help us to stop pumping so much carbon into the atmosphere (help to protect the future), and all the while providing quality jobs for Americans. If this is not worth celebrating on the 4th, then what is? We should be getting the word out to fellow Americans. This company is worth knowing about and supporting! It is also a beautiful car that people love to see and ask questions about. Deserves to be in the parade, IMHO.

I've run both my Roadster and my Model S in the local St Patrick's Day parade, with the local electric vehicle club. Got all kinds of thumbs up and some ridiculously enthusiastic reactions. Nothing negative at all. I'd say go for it!

If you're one of a group of EVs or a group of "show cars" (corvettes, mustangs, etc) then I don't imagine you'd get any negative reaction. If you're just someone tagging along on a parade because you've got a cool car, then that's probably not so great.

We're in our local parade with a small group of cars. Don't see any problem with this. You are now a Tesla embassador--you're not bragging, you are evangelizing. The kids will love it. We plan to have the frunk open, filled with candy, for our kids to throw to the kids along the parade route!
Need your honesty please. I've registered to put our Tesla Model S into the 4th parade. I don't have any sponsor's, it's just me, the car, and the kids holding a sign & distributing informational flyers about Tesla. My husband and his friend, are starting to say it's a bad idea and will cause negativity. They feel this is to braggy brag and a show off. My initial intention was to put it in the parade, because so many people stop to see the car and thought they would like to see one. My intention was not to come off as a show off, however maybe it does look that way? So, I want honest opinion's before I decide to bail out. I don't want to create a bad reputation in our community.

The fourth of July is a celebration of the US as a nation, so you might consider a sign emphasizing that Tesla is designed in the US, built in the US and powered by energy from the US. The last is pretty serious IMHO, we've lost more than enough of our soldiers fighting for oil.

Yes go with the "MADE IN USA" thing - it fits my impression of what could have a natural spot in a 4th of July parade. Maybe stay away from the "our soldiers are risking their lives fighting for foreign oil abroad" though, as I don't that would go home as well.

I'm on the Board of Trustees in my small town. I've been in our July 4th parade for the past several years. We all drive or are driven in cars with signs that announce who we are. I've borrowed convertibles from dealers in the past and/or my brother's convertible Porsche. I'm driving my MS this year. I'll adorn it with all sorts of ribbons and streamers. Its as interesting as the corvettes, Model T, and other cars that show up. If anyone cares, I'm glad to talk about the car. If not, its just a car. If its wasn't mine, I'd be more than happy to drive it in the parade. So, yes, by all means, drive your MS in your parade!

Thanks everyone for your input. My husband's friends all thought it was arrogant, so he asked me not to do it, so I backed out:( I even found an Aveda (earth friendly) salon to sponsor me. It didn't help that at a kits baseball game, parents were negatively gossiping about us. That really turned my DH off to the idea.

Thanks everyone for your input. My husband's friends all thought it was arrogant, so he asked me not to do it, so I backed out:( I even found an Aveda (earth friendly) salon to sponsor me. It didn't help that at a kits baseball game, parents were negatively gossiping about us. That really turned my DH off to the idea.

It's called envy and is a nasty but all too common human reaction. Rise above. Enjoy the car but skip the parade.