Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it unethical to charge extra for Autopilot (software) after we had paid for the hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about a Xbox with disc reading turned off unless you pay Microsoft to unlock?

Disc reading is an essential function of the xbox (or not really since i download all my games from the internet). Without the disc reading, the xbox couldn't perform its core function.

Enhanced Autopilot is not an essential function of a tesla being able to drive. Now the argument is "well i already paid for it, so it should work," no because you still need the software for autopilot to work. So you're technically paying for the software.

Just like intel CPUs. A lot of them are the same exact CPU, they are just under-clocked or purposely have their performance downgraded by software. Just because you bought a CPU capable of 3.9Ghz, doesn't mean you are entitled to that speed.

Reactions: chr147
My apartment had a TV cable sticking out of the wall. When I plugged it in my TV, it said to pay up if I want to watch any channel.

Content costs additionally.

What bugs me about that example is it's COMPLETELY unethical to pay the fees that they want just to watch local channels. That part of it is a scam by the major broadcasters.

That's part of why I dropped cable entirely, and I just have fiber internet.

Reactions: Msjulie and Vaxe
My point is how do we know we didn’t already pay for EAP development cost in our invoice?
Every Tesla car buyer is also contributing to the Tesla Semi design costs, but you ain’t getting one of those for free!

Seriously though.... As others mentioned, the hardware supports a number of features of which some are available to the basic configuration. Giving you the ability of turning on additional features in the future is a benefit to you, not a detriment (and was well documented before you agreed to buy the car.)

But why would they not want to get paid? My point is how do we know we didn’t already pay for EAP development cost in our invoice?
You didn't pay for because Tesla says you didn't.

Software costs money to develop, regardless of how it is delivered or what hardware it runs on. The sense of entitlement in the post is outrageous.

I guess between all the examples here are that the hardware AND software are both present at purchase of vehicle.

The only different is tesla places a lock on certain features that you need to pay for them to remove the lock.

Reactions: Vaxe
I support Tesla’s vision and have always recommended them to friends and coworkers. With the latest firmware, I was able to try Autopilot for the first time and would like to buy it - but I’m having a hard time justifying the purchase.

If I had to bring the car in for service to have them install additional sensors or cameras, then I’m all for shelling out the $6000.
However, with a 30min software download, I now have Autopilot, which means I had already paid for the hardware. It’s like buying an iPhone with camera enabled, but live video recording disabled unless you download a paid app.

I think Tesla should’ve offered an option with less Autopilot hardware for less than the $49k base. Or they should’ve raised the base price and made Autopilot standard. It leaves a bad taste to take away a feature when the car you bought already has the hardware. If it’s a monthly subscription fee for a modest $25-$50 for server maintenance, improvements and updates, then yes. $6000 is just too much.

I’m sure Tesla already factored in the cost of BOM and included that in our invoice. $6000 goes straight to the bottom line.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks all
You didn't pay for the hardware. EAP buyers did (they paid for yours, too) and Tesla did (a risk they took in hopes people would buy the software after the fact).

Remember, the Roadster buyers paid for the S development, the S buyers paid for the X development, the X and S buyers paid for the 3 development and the S,X and 3 are paying for the development of the Y, Semi, 2020 Roadster and the pickup. Your choice to activate if you think it is worth it. Tesla can always activate it for the next owner.

Remember, the Roadster buyers paid for the S development, the S buyers paid for the X development, the X and S buyers paid for the 3 development and the S,X and 3 are paying for the development of the Y, Semi, 2020 Roadster and the pickup. Your choice to activate if you think it is worth it. Tesla can always activate it for the next owner.

Actually if you look at the financials, the investors mostly paid for all the development. Since Tesla has no profit...