Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth getting FSD in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is worth getting FSD right now in Canada?

I don’t know if we have different levels of approval versus USA that would mean Canadian FSD is defeatured compared to in the States?

AP that you get now by default does not automatically pass slower cars. AP will just slow down or speed up. Navigate on AP will pass slow as molasses. Worth every penny for me right now. + everything else it does and all that more that it will do. Also procrastination of FSD will cost you more and it will not be low interest rate.

Reactions: longshot49
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is worth getting FSD right now in Canada?

I don’t know if we have different levels of approval versus USA that would mean Canadian FSD is defeatured compared to in the States?
The biggest advantage to getting FSD now would be for previous purchasers who have the older chip (like me). New orders apparently come with the HW3.0 custom chip tesla developed so arguably there isn't much value in getting FSD with a new order that comes with AP.

IMO, paying for FSD right now to get summon, NoA and auto lane change isn't worth it.

Also, Canadian regulations are stricter than in the US. They are beta testing advanced summon now in the US, but no mention about when that would come to Canada.

FSD was well worth it when it was on sale a month or so ago, but today at full price it's not something I would spring for. It may actually go on sale again, so if you do want it, wait for another sale, potentially at the end of the quarter or end of year.

We paid for the AP as it was in 2018 when the 3 came out, but took a pass on the FSD because we had doubts about both the delivery timetable and the hardware. The AP offering at that time was more feature full. We trusted that the 'after purchase' price was going to be 4300 CAD as promised. AP+FSD would have ended up costing us about 13000, iir.

My rationale was as follows:
  • Development on FSD was regularly slipping deadlines. AI is *hard*.
  • Tesla had its own chip design underway, and the 3 was coming with the Nvidia chip
  • Happy to pay 4-5k for a new custom supercomputer at a future date
  • Regulatory landscape was pretty murky
When the 'mis'pricing event occurred we paid the 2600 for the FSD bump with a promise of a 'free' CPU upgrade, for a savings of 1700, or about 40%. More than the financing costs would be...

While you could argue that the points I made are still accurate, I fully believe that significant progress has been made on each point Go watch the youtube of the autonomy day presentation for confirmation.

So I'd probably buy it today if I had the money sitting around.

All that said, I'm not convinced that Tesla has quite the ceiling on pricing power that it has enjoyed previously. Nvidia *will* provide power envelope competitive solutions within 18 months.

When else in your life are you going to be able to so directly participate in such a story of transformation? YOLO.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
At $2600 is was probably worth it, but even that is debatable. I personally think FSD is a long way away in Canada, I would never pay the extra $7900 to get it, just wait, in 6 months they will readjust again, or give you a $1500 option to upgrade to EAP from AP.
I have EAP and never use the features they removed when they launched AP, NOA is still crap, summon is finicky, self parking never happens...
Autopilot work pretty good, I use it every day.. except for the occasional phantom braking episodes (I scared of getting rear-ended one day!!)

Having my FSD trial end 20 days early, I’m debating whether or not it’s worth upgrading now. NOA only works on the highway which I rarely drive on. But when I do it’s an amazing feature. Auto park has never come up as an option for me. Summon is cool, but I only ever use it to move the car in and out of the garage when I’m working on there or washing the car. Again, incredibly convenient but not sure if it’s necessary.

Now all the stuff that is coming will be amazing and while I believe Tesla will achieve what they say I highly doubt it’ll ever be approved in Canada. So to pay 8,600 (or 10,500 when it goes up) is incredibly hard to justify. But auto lane changes are amazing.

At $2,600 though, it’s a no brainer. I’ll hold out hope that when they start doing retrofits if the FSD computer they’ll offer a better price to customers that haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I bought FSD for the HW3 upgrade. If you buy a vehicle manufactured now, it should already have that. (I think they started putting that version in last month?)

We have EAP which is nice - but the HW3 will probably help with EAP, being better able to recognize and categorize surrounding traffic. Plus, supposedly coming in a few months is stop sign and traffic light recognition, which I'm sure the AI chips will help with.

But new cars only get AP, not EAP. It does not have the fancier features, NAV on autopilot, auto lane change, etc. Depends how useful those are to you. In areas like Toronto, with networks of freeways much like the USA, that may be more useful than in more rural, stop and go traffic areas.

AP is already great for road tripping and soul destroying commuting x morning/afternoon RUSH hours.

FSD is really the "iPhone" feature of Tesla atm and it doesn't work/is not legal. If you want the HW3.0 though like many who were EAP purchasers, wait for a sale. At 2600+tax, It was an easy choice to go ahead. At the current prices... no way in hell.

Reactions: dj_gon
Can someone please explain the rational of people drooling over HW3.0? If you have AP only, the current hardware works. If you have FSD, they give you hardware that works for FSD.

Why do people care about HW3.0 when they don't have FSD? I just don't get it.... The hardware isn't what's important. It's the features. And you will have whatever hardware you need for the features you ordered...

Can someone please explain the rational of people drooling over HW3.0? If you have AP only, the current hardware works. If you have FSD, they give you hardware that works for FSD.

Why do people care about HW3.0 when they don't have FSD? I just don't get it.... The hardware isn't what's important. It's the features. And you will have whatever hardware you need for the features you ordered...
Yes, but in order to have FSD features in your car, you need the FSD chip which is all included in the FSD option. For sure, if you don't need it, then staying with just AP is perfectly fine. Honestly, I've struggled intensively whether to get FSD before the sales end. For me, it's a want not a need....

I believe Tesla will deliver (maybe 6-18 months late).
BUT
I don't have any faith in our Canadian government, Provincial governments, bureaucrats, regulators etc. moving at any proper speed to actually allow it. Only now are they finally talking about raising our speed limits, beer in corner stores, etc, decades after the rest of the civilized world got there.
Case in point, summon has been out for years, yet due to our regulations, it's utterly useless in Canada

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I would assume Canadian regulators will take longer to allow most features. From a cash flow perspective it makes sense to wait, pay the upgrade when/if you can see the value.
Agreed. Tesla has promised full self driving, and if it reaches "robo taxi" level I'll be interested, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Maybe I won't even have the car anymore by that time. What they currently offer under FSD is mostly cool party tricks, some of which aren't even available in Canada.

That said, if they have another sale, I may consider it depending on the price. I was waiting for delivery during the last sale.

I think there's a high likelihood Tesla will make HW3 (FSD chip) available for cheap or even free at some point. It doesn't make sense for Tesla to maintain two code branches in the long term for the legacy module and new chip. It would mean twice as much work for development and verification, approvals, etc. They also loose significant benefit to having a fleet of cars with the FSD chip for running shadow FSD for verification.

I'd say the fair price for a HW3 FSD module is probably around $1000 or less. That doesn't mean you get FSD features - it just means the CPU is upgraded (possibly better AP, or EAP).