Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth purchasing a MYP now, even with the old cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've given myself until 17:00 tomorrow to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a Model Y Performance.

Do you guys think their shipped 1.2MP cameras would be a good enough deterrent against the purchase?

For folks with 5.0MP cameras, is it great enough to say, " Wait til the 5.0MP is the standard..."

Thanks for your input

Reactions: James Cole
I got my 2023 MYP in 2 days ago and it the best purchase I ever made! There will always be upgrades or better things in the future. I wouldn't let that deter you otherwise you might never actually order one.

I waited long enough and finally bought it just like you. There's always something better tomorrow. Enjoy it now. I love mine so much.

Upvote 0

And then there is this:​

Senator Manchin aims to close battery loophole around the $7,500 EV tax credit​

Oh coal boy still at it. But lets give rebates to chevys built in Mexico.

Upvote 0
Wonder if they can enforce that retroactive, Jan 1 ruling. It wouldn't be fair for the folks who've already taken delivery.

Anything done by Congress can’t be made retroactive. Ex-post-facto laws are explicitly prohibited in the Constitution. If someone sues over the regulatory interpretation over the existing legislation, then a resulting injunction would apply as of the date it was enacted.

That's a good reflective question I should've asked myself.

Truth be told, I'm not sure. But I suppose it's bc of my friend's 2018 model 3. The flickering on his cameras irked me and made the car seem low-tech.

I was hoping 5MP would blow me out of the water and make me less apprehensive of the price tag.

I’m not sure of any hardware changes, but the images I see from my ‘22 Model Y are significantly better than my ‘19 Model 3. Not sure if there was a physical change or something with how the images are processed

Upvote 0
Anything done by Congress can’t be made retroactive. Ex-post-facto laws are explicitly prohibited in the Constitution. If someone sues over the regulatory interpretation over the existing legislation, then a resulting injunction would apply as of the date it was enacted.

Pretty sure this only applies to Criminal Law. This is Tax Law, which is Public Law.

Upvote 0
Rule of thumb advice is to buy a new (or used) car when you need it, for various reasons.

Current Tesla discounts might not last for too long, so this is very tempting,
but still the IRA tax credit should last for ten years I believe, so still plenty of time
to take advantage of it, not like the pevious tax break with the 200k cars limit.

I am considering replacing my current Tesla, but I am infact curious to know first
if Tesla is going to have major updates, such as "Highland Project",
or new platforms (such as compact hatchback or minivan like the VW ID Buzz)
which should be anounced maybe during the next Tesla Master Plan 3 presentation on Mrach 1rst?

The real trigger for me would be to get a major increase of range, because
I cannot travel too far away from major highways and superchargers during weekend trips.
Hi Watts_Up, Have you tried the CCS1 adapter? My travels take me thru some pretty barren Supercharger land and I've used the adapter at chargepoint and EA stalls to bridge the gaps if necessary. Yes, EA is CR*P which you cannot count on - even plugshare is not always advised (by EA) of outages as far as I can tell. Drivers, of course do report to plugshare if they think of it, I guess.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi Watts_Up, Have you tried the CCS1 adapter? My travels take me thru some pretty barren Supercharger land and I've used the adapter at chargepoint and EA stalls to bridge the gaps if necessary. Yes, EA is CR*P which you cannot count on - even plugshare is not always advised (by EA) of outages as far as I can tell. Drivers, of course do report to plugshare if they think of it, I guess.

Yes, I have a CCS1 adapter, which worked fine, but was slow when I was not able to precondition the battery,
I even subscribed for the EA discount plan last summer.

I was thinking to visit Montana and in particular the Glacier National Park on my way to Yellowstone.
But I had to change my plans as I was not able to make reservation in an hotel with a public charger.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Upvote 0
Weigh the potential price increases whilst waiting for 5.0 vs. 1.2 mp cameras.

With the MYLR cap now at $80k, that could become a pricey wait.
From reading so many similar questions, It appears there are many folks on the fence right now. As they get off the fence, wait times will increase, and prices will probably go up.

I have been waiting 2 years for “the right time to buy” I ordered 1/14 with EDD end of Feb. First Tesla on my whole street (spanning 5 blocks). I am wondering how many neighbors will wonder “so-and-so got 1, why can’t I?

The more Teslas Tesla sells, the more demand they will create.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Upvote 0
From reading so many similar questions, It appears there are many folks on the fence right now. As they get off the fence, wait times will increase, and prices will probably go up.

I have been waiting 2 years for “the right time to buy” I ordered 1/14 with EDD end of Feb. First Tesla on my whole street (spanning 5 blocks). I am wondering how many neighbors will wonder “so-and-so got 1, why can’t I?

The more Teslas Tesla sells, the more demand they will create.

I noticed you are from Long Island, I'm in California but I have my relatives living near the Tesla Show Room in Manhasset.
This location opened a long time ago, but still I cannot see too many Tesla in this area, every time I go there.

My relatives always ask me where I charge, thinking that they would always need to go to a supercharger, like when going to a gas station.
And would never consider getting a Tesla unless there would be a supercharger next to their house.
Thinking that charging at home will "burn the whole house down" !!!

Anyway, in this area, the Cadillac Lyriq or even the Celestiq will certainly most popular than any Tesla.

Upvote 0
I noticed you are from Long Island, I'm in California but I have my relatives living near the Tesla Show Room in Manhasset.
This location opened a long time ago, but still I cannot see too many Tesla in this area, every time I go there.

My relatives always ask me where I charge, thinking that they would always need to go to a supercharger, like when going to a gas station.
And would never consider getting a Tesla unless there would be a supercharger next to their house.
Thinking that charging at home will "burn the whole house down" !!!

Anyway, in this area, the Cadillac Lyriq or even the Celestiq will certainly most popular than any Tesla.
1 reason is gas prices are not as bad in NY. And state incentives on Teslas are only $500. (NY has a $40k price cap on its $2k incentive). Another possible reason is that majority of Long Island is red. I hate to talk politics, but have to recognize that republicans for some reason love to promote an anti-“green” agenda. And Biden pushing for EVs might make them even more against it.

None of this will matter though when people realize the $ savings are real, and the many benefits of EVs. I been a TSLA owner for several years now, and decided to now step up my EV education campaign .

Reactions: DrGriz
Upvote 0
I've given myself until 17:00 tomorrow to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a Model Y Performance.

Do you guys think their shipped 1.2MP cameras would be a good enough deterrent against the purchase?

For folks with 5.0MP cameras, is it great enough to say, " Wait til the 5.0MP is the standard..."

Thanks for your input
If I could do it again, I would have waited.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't buy ANY Tesla now.

For one thing, they've told the FCC they're putting radar back in within the next couple of months. That's certainly because "vision only" is a disaster that doesn't work even in light rain based on my radar-disabled Model Y experience. It was really a way to keep selling through the supply-chain pandemic disruption.

For another, they've ripped out ultrasonic near-object and parking sensors...LOL. Ridiculous.

If you absolutely can't wait, take a look at the Volvo all-electric C40, which is superior to the Model Y in every respect except range (and even that's getting close) and has radar and ultrasound, both of which Tesla isn't putting in right now. The higher-end Kia EV6 models are *really* nice as well.

Upvote 0

For one thing, they've told the FCC they're putting radar back in within the next couple of months. That's certainly because "vision only" is a disaster that doesn't work even in light rain based on my radar-disabled Model Y experience. It was really a way to keep selling through the supply-chain pandemic disruption.

For another, they've ripped out ultrasonic near-object and parking sensors...LOL. Ridiculous.

If you absolutely can't wait, take a look at the Volvo all-electric C40, which is superior to the Model Y in every respect except range (and even that's getting close) and has radar and ultrasound, both of which Tesla isn't putting in right now. The higher-end Kia EV6 models are *really* nice as well.
Lol. They never said they were putting radar back nor did they even acknowledge its use for a car. You certainly have a good imagination for story telling. Especially fiction.

Reactions: Mr_Joe and GoVols!
Upvote 0

My neighbor next door has the Volvo C40 Ev and it’s pretty small. It definitely looks nice on the inside and out for an ev and makes for a great little run-around small suv but the range is pretty limited. They won’t take it on trips over 100mi. because the cargo space is small, they get nowhere near the claimed ev range and they have had bad experiences trying to charge it at whatever ev station they’ve been to. These folks are an older couple, so they drive pretty conservatively but they like it and it works for them around town. To say the c40 is better in every way is absolutely not true. The cup holders in the c40 are the smallest I’ve ever seen besides the crappy net cup holder that came with the older G-Wagon.

Reactions: dubK and TomB985
Upvote 0