Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is leaving Tesla plugged in while not charging really beneficial?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I balance those conditions in some ways. I have my limit set to around 70 or 80 % I think. But then I go a few days before plugging in again, where it's getting down to a bit less than half full, so it's not staying near 70 or 80 % most of the time.
That helps with the calendar aging due to SoC but average depth of discharge is another factor too. Leaving your vehicle always plugged in when parked reduces average depth of discharge and setting the charge limit low reduces average SoC.

That helps with the calendar aging due to SoC but average depth of discharge is another factor too. Leaving your vehicle always plugged in when parked reduces average depth of discharge and setting the charge limit low reduces average SoC.
Yes, I am well aware, but we have one plug and two cars, so leaving them both plugged in isn't a possibility.

if you set pre departure time and you plug it in when you get home but it only needs to charge a couple hours until the desire amount, does it still charge it when you plug it in or does it start charging 2 hours before departure?

second question, how do you set the cabin pre departure heat? Or does it just heat to whatever the previous temp setting was? Thanks!

Scheduled Departure will bring the passenger cabin to your preset cabin temperature. You should leave the Climate Control set to Auto and your preferred temperature. Set the fan speed control to Medium or High (In the Climate Control Auto setting the fan speed control is a speed limiter for the maximum fan speed while warming or cooling the passenger cabin.

Scheduled Departure does not affect when charging starts or ends. The Tesla Model Y will draw power if plugged in while preconditioning is active to replenish any charge used while preconditioning. The Tesla Model Y does not have to be plugged in to use Scheduled Departure as long as the battery state of charge is above 20%.

Charging is handled separately:

You can charge as soon as you plug in, or

Set Scheduled Charging, i.e. always start charging at midnight until complete, or

Set Off-peak charging, will determine when to start charging sometime in the early A.M. so that charging will be completed by the end of the off-peak window for lowest electric kWh rate.

Note: You cannot have both Scheduled Charging and Off-peak Charging active at the same time; you must choose whether you want to charge soonest (following a schedule) or complete charging as late as possible while still completing charging by the end of the Off-Peak rate window.

Competing charging as late as possible is more efficient, in winter, as the battery will already be partially warmed from the just completed charging session. Preconditioning the passenger cabin will take less energy if you start preconditioning using coolant from the battery loop that has already been somewhat warmed from the charging session.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
It does not, unless you turn on the preconditioning option.
When you set Scheduled Departure and enter a time you are setting the time you plan to start your drive. You select whether Scheduled Departure is active Every Day on only on Week Days. The Tesla Model Y will precondition the passenger cabin to your desired temperature and warm the battery as needed.

When you set Scheduled Departure and enter a time you are setting the time you plan to start your drive. You select whether Scheduled Departure is active Every Day on only on Week Days. The Tesla Model Y will precondition the passenger cabin to your desired temperature and warm the battery as needed.
Except it doesn't. You have to turn on the Preconditioning option in order to get it to do that. If Preconditioning is disabled, it simply charges up and stops, usually about 15 minutes prior to the Scheduled Departure time.

It's a given to turn on precondition. Otherwise you can not schedule departure time for precondition to be completed by.
No, it's not. You can turn on Off-Peak Charging in which case it will charge to complete by either the end of Off-Peak hours OR the Scheduled Departure time, without preconditioning. I don't drive at the same time each day so I use this setting because I don't want the car wasting energy preconditioning.

No, it's not. You can turn on Off-Peak Charging in which case it will charge to complete by either the end of Off-Peak hours OR the Scheduled Departure time, without preconditioning. I don't drive at the same time each day so I use this setting because I don't want the car wasting energy preconditioning.
Got it. I only know half of everything. Since I don't use schedule for off peak charging ... that's the other half I did not know. 😁

Got it. I only know half of everything. Since I don't use schedule for off peak charging ... that's the other half I did not know. 😁
I only figured this out because I was trying to see if I could get the car to NOT charge of it's plugged in just before the end of Off-Peak (set to 5pm which is when PG&E's Off-Peak hours end; if I return and plug in at 4:59 pm it will start charging and not stop until it's finished, charging through the entire peak time of 5-8 pm if necessary). But nope, disabling Off-Peak Charging meant I couldn't set a Scheduled Departure time at all! Only real solutions are:

1. Lie to the car and tell it that my Off-Peak hours end earlier than they really do, so it won't be charging during peak hours. For practical purposes, 1 pm would do, because it only takes 3.5 hours to reach my charge limit of 50%, even from 0%.

2. Don't plug in the car if returning just before peak hours start.

3. Manually stop charging in the car or via the app when peak hours start.

Since it's rare that I come back just before peak hours start, I use (3).

Reactions: zoomer0056