Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is MCU 2 the most important feature when shopping for a used Tesla?

What are most important feature when shopping used Tesla

• MCU-2

• Battery Size

• Performance

• Favorite Color package (Exterior/Interior)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All;

I have a Model Y pre-order currently, but I have been shopping used Model S as a back up in case I don't like the size or the suspension in the Model Y (Those are my two biggest concerns). I have my first test drive in a Model 3 this weekend which will ease or confirm some of those concerns.

How important would you say getting a MCU-2 equipped used Tesla is among other features (battery, trim, color, FSD). I know having a MCU-2 makes you eligible for the Hardware 3 upgrade and currently can operate at full functionality on the most recent software update. Is that important enough to sacrifice maybe a smaller battery, or less favorable options (assuming you have a budget to consider). Would love your input, especially MCU-1 owners. Do you feel like your missing out?

Range is king.

If I were buying today I’d probably try and find an MCU2 car in my budget, but not at the expense of range.

I have MCU1. It’s fine. I don’t miss the video games or Netflix. I don’t generally make a habit of sitting in my car playing games, watching movies, or using the web browser. There are a vocal few on here that incessantly moan and will have you believe MCU1 ruins the entire car, blah blah blah. It’s simply not true.

Last edited:
Range is king.

If I were buying today I’d probably try and find an MCU2 car in my budget, but not at the expense of range.

I have MCU1. It’s fine. I don’t miss the video games or Netflix. I don’t generally make a habit of sitting in my car playing games, watching movies, or using the web browser. There are a few on here that incessantly moan and will have you believe MCU1 ruins the entire car, blah blah blah. It’s simply not true.
This. You said it much better than I did.

I would say battery size / condition is the biggest thing. I personally don't think we'll see self driving, fully autonomous cars in the next decade, so HW3 isn't as big a deal for me.
I agree with ucmndd. Range is huge.
If you drive lot (like I do) then charging speed also becomes important.

Reactions: SilverGS
It depends on how long you plan to keep the vehicle. If your plan is just to hold short term, then the age of the vehicle is not as important so find one in your budget with the longest range (and likely FSD will not occur within your ownership stint). However, if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a longer term, then looking for a newer car is key (which in turn will likely have MCU-2).

Thanks for the feedback. With so many saying the battery and MCU-2 being highly important, that makes me think the Model Y would have the advantage. Would you say the suspension, luxury features, etc. of the Model S would be important enough to outweigh a LR Battery/Hardware 3 of the Model Y.

Thanks for the feedback. With so many saying the battery and MCU-2 being highly important, that makes me think the Model Y would have the advantage. Would you say the suspension, luxury features, etc. of the Model S would be important enough to outweigh a LR Battery/Hardware 3 of the Model Y.
If your budget is not as important, I would personally take an S - just for the luxury features and range.

What “luxury” features are we talking about on the S? Heated steering wheel? Air suspension? Those amenities can be found on non-Tesla vehicles costing less than half of a Model S.

Agreed, but referencing "luxury" in the Tesla universe. I am coming from an BMW X5 and i can make a list of features I'll be missing out on, but I'm wondering if going with a Model S will ease that transition or should I go with the more "rugid" Model Y, lol.

Reactions: SilverGS
What “luxury” features are we talking about on the S? Heated steering wheel? Air suspension? Those amenities can be found on non-Tesla vehicles costing less than half of a Model S.
I'm pretty sure the OP is asking about a Tesla vehicle. Let's keep this thread focused on his question unless I misunderstood and he's asking about non Tesla vehicles.

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking about a Tesla vehicle. Let's keep this thread focused on his question unless I misunderstood and he's asking about non Tesla vehicles.

Agree, although I think the question is more in relation to the 3/Y. I can't really think of any "luxury" features present on the S that aren't also there on the 3/Y other than the aforementioned heated steering wheel or air suspension.

Reactions: Vjacobs84
Depends on one's priorities. I've never experienced MCU2. Only MCU1. And for me, MCU1 has no issues at all. And for me, the ability to watch netflix, youtube, and play a larger variety of games, is probably one of the lowest wants or needs I have for the car.

Having ability to do smart summon and navigate on autopilot were higher priorities. Low mileage was even higher. All Wheel Drive was a high priority. Overall condition was even higher. 75D battery size/range would have been sufficient for my needs, by 90D is what came along. 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds was all I needed, performance wise. I wasnt about to pay premiums to get Ludicrous mode. (I dont have time at stoplights to warm batteries, wait, put into launch mode, etc.).

So depends on ones personal preferences

This. You said it much better than I did.

He also complete disagreed with your most important item which I also agree with. The MCU2 cars tend to come at the expense of much higher price point, higher miles, lower range, faster rate of depreciation or all of the above. Just not worth it IMO when there are KILLER deals to be had on MCU1 cars.

Reactions: ucmndd and 2101Guy
He also complete disagreed with your most important item which I also agree with. The MCU2 cars tend to come at the expense of much higher price point, higher miles, lower range, faster rate of depreciation or all of the above. Just not worth it IMO when there are KILLER deals to be had on MCU1 cars.
Its the reason why I got an MCU1 car - the difference in price was more than $15K CAD. Hence why I mentioned budget. But your "value" statement is very important as well.

historically speaking...the eMMC repair will become more commonplace by more third parties. And that will make the price of the repair come down even further. I predict that within the next 12 months, the price of eMMC repairs will be cut in half of what's being charged today

Those arguing "only go for MCU2" are not advocating the videos/games, they are advocating a longer expected life before an eMMC failure and $2-3k repair comes your way.

Now that the boutique industry has sprung up around proactive eMMC replacements, I don't see this as a particularly compelling argument. Sounds like it's around $500 to have it done.

Nor do I particularly subscribe to the financial wisdom of paying $10k more for a car to reduce the risk of a $2-3k repair.