Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is MCU1 Getting Left in the Software Updates Dust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have both a '23 MY and a '17 MX and the rate of software updates between the two is dramatically different, but the bigger issue is the MX has been on 2022.8.x now since right after we bought it last summer. How much are we missing by still being on 2022.8.x?

I feel like MCU1 is getting left behind by Tesla to "encourage" us to upgrade to MCU2. I wouldn't be surprised if it will be required eventually for any future software updates.

Rn, I'm hanging on to MCU1, but my patience may eventually run out.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank you,

MCU1 is ancient. You should expect only very minor updates and bug fixes from this point forward, and very infrequent releases. There’s nothing sneaky or underhanded about it. It’s a ~15 year old platform that doesn’t have the horsepower for most of the new features. It’s already overburdened.
On the contrary, many of us bought and paid for FSD, beta or not, and don't have it. If they can't make FSD work on MCU 1, then the richest man in the world should give MCU2 upgrades free in order to keep being able to use what we already paid for.

On the contrary, many of us bought and paid for FSD, beta or not, and don't have it. If they can't make FSD work on MCU 1, then the richest man in the world should give MCU2 upgrades free in order to keep being able to use what we already paid for.

IMG_8069.gif

Changes nothing about what I said.

We have both a '23 MY and a '17 MX and the rate of software updates between the two is dramatically different, but the bigger issue is the MX has been on 2022.8.x now since right after we bought it last summer. How much are we missing by still being on 2022.8.x?

I feel like MCU1 is getting left behind by Tesla to "encourage" us to upgrade to MCU2. I wouldn't be surprised if it will be required eventually for any future software updates.

Rn, I'm hanging on to MCU1, but my patience may eventually run out.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank you,
Not sure if you've gotten the update to MCU2 done yet, but this thread is getting some traction.

Same boat. I just bought a 2017 (late model July 2017 build) from a private party who ponied up for FSD and all the hardware upgrades, and they told him he didn't have to get MCU2 upgrade. So he didn't. And he never requested FSD beta. I did and have been in the queue for 6 weeks. Service says "keep waiting". Which means "wait long enough until you pony up for MCU2 upgrade because we ain't rolling this out to you, ever."

And, like the OP, I am stuck on some 2022 software version while my 2015 MS with MCU2 upgrade is rolling out software updates identical to our 2021 MYLR.

Reactions: m5james
I had FSD for a few weeks, got dinged and never got it back :/ What's funny is I just got 2022.8.10.15 sent to me today, again, after putting in a ticket saying I wanted a free MCU2 so I can have FSD back. It's annoying watching our '23 Y get what feels like weekly updates, yet our '17 X hasn't since last Feb.