Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model Y a luxury car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got delivery of my Model Y on 12/31/2020. I replaced my 2 year old Audi Q5. A friend of mine, a Tesla owner and driver since 2013, who's also my go-to person for anything and everything Tesla, asked me: "So, what do you think, is Tesla a luxury car?" It made me think about it, so here's what came to mind.

I want to say, I am not a car expert by any means. However, I design buildings for a living and happen to know a few things about design and engineering. So, based on my very "extensive" (all 250 mi of it) Model Y experience:

- Design intent: 10/10

- Design execution exterior: 8/10

- Design execution interior: 6/10 (biggest room for improvement). It’s the little things - center console being cheap glossy plastic is virtually never fingerprint-free. Already ordered a wrap for it. Things don’t quite align/click right. Seats are a bit hard, especially in the back. Sun visors feel flimsy, interior lighting (floor, curb when door is open, etc.) is minimal, almost insufficient. Love the uninterrupted sunroof, well done! Controls are convenient but could’ve added a few more things to the steering wheel levers - intermittence of wipers, etc.

- Driving experience: 8/10. Love the one-pedal driving, after a few miles it becomes a second nature. Steering is a tat too stiff for my taste, even in comfort mode but doesn't bother me. The ride is stiff, definitely. And I understand, it’s a heavy car, it needs the stiffness. But going through the speed bumps, no matter how slow, feels like dropping off the second floor.

- Comfort/features: 7/10. I am a total fan of the minimalist design but exactly because of it, they should have, for example, HomeLink built in, a dedicated space for an EZPass, heated steering wheel... these are minor things that can go a long way from experience perspective. Apple play, what’s up with not having it?! $15k Chevy cars have it.

- Coolness: 10/10. The technology in the car is beyond impressive. Yes, the autopilot has some glitches, etc. but the way everything operates so seamlessly... that is quite something. The summon feature - that is total 2050 Sci-Fi. My 12-year old son and I went to a grocery store empty parking lot on Jan 1st to test it, as I didn’t believe it actually worked. It was totally surreal seeing the car drive itself without anyone in it!

So, is the Model Y a luxury car? The short answer, I would say it’s not. It’s a different type of car and experience, and it should be what cars are all about in the future. It provides everything you need and nothing you don’t. The Q5, definitely a luxury car, full of bells and whistles, I used some of them for the first week and then, drove it for 2 years without touching a single one of them. The minimal design in the Tesla is definitely calming. At least so far, I feel less stressed driving it, Definitely more relaxed than driving the Audi.

Last but not least, forget everything else, the 4sec 0-60 alone is worth the ownership.

There you have it. Much longer answer than you expected.

Happy driving!

Attachments

• modY.jpg
    modY.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 230
M3, MY = definitely not luxury
MS, MX = doubtful, not good enough when it comes to interior materials, fit and feel

Teslas are nice cars and might have premium drive trains and tech, but let's face it, a luxury car is so much more than that.

At the price point for a nice MS or MX you can be looking at offerings from MB that are, let's face it, much nicer inside and out. Yes, the MB will be ICE and not as quick 0-60 and less tech, yada, yada, yada... But for a true luxury car you need unquestionable paint, fit and finish, premium interiors, quiet cabins, and so much more. Ever been inside a MB S Class? That is the benchmark I'd use for luxury.

Reactions: Lobstahz and Carlvs
3/Y are not luxury car, i called them high tech car.
The premium we paid for is not for luxury, but for high tech, that’s what i tell my friend

That's a great way to put it. As I told my son the other night as we were driving. I am and always been a car guy...but even moreso, I'm a tech guy. That's why I have this car.

3/Y are not luxury car, i called them high tech car.
The premium we paid for is not for luxury, but for high tech, that’s what i tell my friend
Yeah this is the best way to put a new trend in auto world. We have an economy class, we got a luxury class, and we got the technology class.

Tesla is so far ahead in technology than other luxury brands, but lacks the luxary items like interior. There is also the luxury technology class like the electric porche but that is easy 2x more dolla bill.

Tesla = Luxury car price without the luxury.
Kidding aside, I feel Tesla is a luxury car because:
  1. No carcinogens emitted from tailpipe
  2. Long range compared to other e-cars
  3. Autopilot
  4. No vibrations
  5. Gas cars smell bad
  6. No need to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning
  7. Super snappy performance
  8. Someday we might get FSD
  9. Low maintenance
Not luxury because
  1. Tesla service centers

Reactions: ForeverEv
Tesla = Luxury car price without the luxury.
Kidding aside, I feel Tesla is a luxury car because:
  1. No carcinogens emitted from tailpipe
  2. Long range compared to other e-cars
  3. Autopilot
  4. No vibrations
  5. Gas cars smell bad
  6. No need to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning
  7. Super snappy performance
  8. Someday we might get FSD
  9. Low maintenance
Not luxury because
  1. Tesla service centers
complitely agree with you, tesla its expansive but not a luxary, but maybe its also cool, cos the main point for luxery car is comfort of the passenger so dinamic characteristics would be not so great

I think most people look at the proposition incorrectly related to LUX or NOT.

I will start of by agreeing with others, Tesla does not make luxury cars. Tesla makes cool tech that happens to be in the format of a car.

Also when considering the value proposition you need to look at fuel cost on an ice then deduct that from the monthly total cost of the tesla then you are left with the true car value.in most cases this remaining $$ is where the car ranks. If you look beyond cost to materials used vs comparable cars it falls short but the tech is so amazing it makes up for this.

I love my MY and may never buy another car but a Tesla, just my 2 cents.

I just got delivery of my Model Y on 12/31/2020. I replaced my 2 year old Audi Q5. A friend of mine, a Tesla owner and driver since 2013, who's also my go-to person for anything and everything Tesla, asked me: "So, what do you think, is Tesla a luxury car?" It made me think about it, so here's what came to mind.

I want to say, I am not a car expert by any means. However, I design buildings for a living and happen to know a few things about design and engineering. So, based on my very "extensive" (all 250 mi of it) Model Y experience:

- Design intent: 10/10

- Design execution exterior: 8/10

- Design execution interior: 6/10 (biggest room for improvement). It’s the little things - center console being cheap glossy plastic is virtually never fingerprint-free. Already ordered a wrap for it. Things don’t quite align/click right. Seats are a bit hard, especially in the back. Sun visors feel flimsy, interior lighting (floor, curb when door is open, etc.) is minimal, almost insufficient. Love the uninterrupted sunroof, well done! Controls are convenient but could’ve added a few more things to the steering wheel levers - intermittence of wipers, etc.

- Driving experience: 8/10. Love the one-pedal driving, after a few miles it becomes a second nature. Steering is a tat too stiff for my taste, even in comfort mode but doesn't bother me. The ride is stiff, definitely. And I understand, it’s a heavy car, it needs the stiffness. But going through the speed bumps, no matter how slow, feels like dropping off the second floor.

- Comfort/features: 7/10. I am a total fan of the minimalist design but exactly because of it, they should have, for example, HomeLink built in, a dedicated space for an EZPass, heated steering wheel... these are minor things that can go a long way from experience perspective. Apple play, what’s up with not having it?! $15k Chevy cars have it.

- Coolness: 10/10. The technology in the car is beyond impressive. Yes, the autopilot has some glitches, etc. but the way everything operates so seamlessly... that is quite something. The summon feature - that is total 2050 Sci-Fi. My 12-year old son and I went to a grocery store empty parking lot on Jan 1st to test it, as I didn’t believe it actually worked. It was totally surreal seeing the car drive itself without anyone in it!

So, is the Model Y a luxury car? The short answer, I would say it’s not. It’s a different type of car and experience, and it should be what cars are all about in the future. It provides everything you need and nothing you don’t. The Q5, definitely a luxury car, full of bells and whistles, I used some of them for the first week and then, drove it for 2 years without touching a single one of them. The minimal design in the Tesla is definitely calming. At least so far, I feel less stressed driving it, Definitely more relaxed than driving the Audi.

Last but not least, forget everything else, the 4sec 0-60 alone is worth the ownership.

There you have it. Much longer answer than you expected.

Happy driving!
I agree with your points. Well said!