Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now the right time to swap??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on lots of factor of where you live. In my case where I live EV are tax free for now. But probably next year that incentive will be gone, plus gas prices here have always been high since it’s an island (Puerto Rico) . I just sold my RAM Rebel which I loved for my MYP which I’ll love more.

One things is for sure car prices are not going down anytime soon. Specially EV

Depends on lots of factor of where you live. In my case where I live EV are tax free for now. But probably next year that incentive will be gone, plus gas prices here have always been high since it’s an island (Puerto Rico) . I just sold my RAM Rebel which I loved for my MYP which I’ll love more.

One things is for sure car prices are not going down anytime soon. Specially EV
Yes I would agree for the near future, but within the next upgrade cycle, so 3-4 years I think we will see huge leaps in battery manufacturing and tech that will bring the costs way down, and essentially render obsolete most NCA-based cars today.
I mean there is not much difference in tech between the packs on a 2014 original Tesla S and a Long Range today. (Hence the good resale value they maintain)
But 4680 packs, structural battery packs, blades or other improvements TBA could change that in the next half-decade

Yes I would agree for the near future, but within the next upgrade cycle, so 3-4 years I think we will see huge leaps in battery manufacturing and tech that will bring the costs way down, and essentially render obsolete most NCA-based cars today.
I mean there is not much difference in tech between the packs on a 2014 original Tesla S and a Long Range today. (Hence the good resale value they maintain)
But 4680 packs, structural battery packs, blades or other improvements TBA could change that in the next half-decade

We’ve not had massive breakthroughs for 10 years and I can’t see anything coming down the line that would be anything more than incremental improvements.

I’d think very carefully about changing. Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course, but if I knew we’d be facing an energy crisis, in my personal situation (absolutely zero possibility of a smart meter, therefore no cheap overnight charging) then I’d have probably not switched to my Model 3.

The most sensible thing for me to do before October’s price hike would probably be to sell the Model 3 when I can actually get all of my money back, buy something super cheap and bank the difference. However…. Much as I whinge about the annoyances in the software of the Model 3 it’s an excellent car and I really enjoy it. So there’s that.

Reactions: Gatsojon
I've been doing a lot of maths recently. My circumstance is slightly different as both myself and Mrs. McChimp both have decent ICE cars that just weren't getting used (to the point that we were having to charge up batteries as they were going flat) so we have decided to go to one car (so savings there for us}
But. I was worried about fuel economy vs charge cost. I guess it comes down to your usage. For me most of my journeys now are local with only the occasional long road trip. So if I charge at home it's around 8p per mile (just roughly as I don't actually have the car yet and my maths is sketchy) whereas our diesels are much higher. IF we were to charge mainly at superchargers or not at home, the price jumps up to almost similar to diesel price per mile. I had to stop thinking about the Tesla in the same way as an ICE. Ie charging at external chargers can be limited to enough charge to get me home - not just filling up like I would with my old car. Add in no, or minimal service costs and it was a no brainer (financially) for the McChimp family

Reactions: Mrklaw
So if I charge at home it's around 8p per mile (just roughly as I don't actually have the car yet and my maths is sketchy) whereas our diesels are much higher.

Blimey, charging at home I'm still paying 1.5p per mile. Even the newer more expensive Octopus tariff is only going to be about 2p per mile ... if you're doing lots of Supercharging or public chargers then yes it's going to be much more.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I am currently driving a BMW 430d
If you can get a decent price sell now! In a few years nobody will want to buy a used diesel. Many councils are charging higher parking charges, clean zones are being introduced and in years to come driving a diesel will (IMO) be seen to be antisocial.

What you replace it with is subject to debate. Clearly if you can get Octopus Go or similar and mainly charge at home, an EV will be substantially cheaper to run per mile in terms of "fuel". It is also likely that depreciation on an EV will be lower than an ICE. Of course, the downside is that if you regularly do long distance journeys "refuelling" will take longer. That said, the time savings of overnight home charging will offset some of that "wasted time".

In terms of which EV, while most of us are fans of Tesla there are other capable EVs and the gradual opening of the SuC network removes one USP.

Blimey, charging at home I'm still paying 1.5p per mile. Even the newer more expensive Octopus tariff is only going to be about 2p per mile ... if you're doing lots of Supercharging or public chargers then yes it's going to be much more.
My maths may be a little sketchy (I think it's closer to 6p) but I don't have one of those tariffs that is much cheaper overnight. It's the same regardless of time of day. I could get cheaper for an overnight tariff bit it puts up the daytime rate and the issue is - I have a hot tub which is one of my biggest draws on electricity and means paying more during the day and less for a short period overnight doesn't benefit me. Anyway. Point being, if I charge at home for vast majority of my miles it will be much cheaper than the diesel ICE.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
There are quite a few arguments for and against swapping, mostly very sensible thinking and I am not swapping just to save money, but it did help to justify my man maths;)

I swapped energy provider today to Octopus so that will help a bit, and there are many reasons for taking the plunge now, and thank you for doing the maths for me everyone who did, it is appreciatedđź‘Ť

It is good to hear everyones reasons for moving to the dark side, or the light side, depending on how you look at it, and it shows so many different views on what is happening in the world at the moment.

@NC1548, your right foot must be heavier than mine and most of my commute is 60mph roads.

@Danny_F

Back in 2015, I was in this, a 335i running AR downtubes, intercooler, Birds B3 suspension + anti roll bars, Qauife LSD, Eisenmann back boxes, and a variable ECU tune that could up the turbo boost from 7psi stock to over 15psi on supeunlead.......on the Autobahn it could keep a Gallardo honest till around 150mph.

14779273880_6903ed2e72_c_d.jpg

I swapped it for this....a 24kWh, mid spec Leaf, that had a range of sub 50 miles on the Mway at 70mph, and did a good impression of an oil tanker if you tired to throw it into a corner....oh and the torque steer, it did not like going WOT if you had any kind of steering angle on, sort of fun wrestling the car at 15mph :).

16812875378_25591dc576_c_d.jpg

Swapping the 335i for the Leaf was probably the BEST decision I ever made when it cars. My biggest regret was not doing it sooner!!

Your choice of EVs now versus 2015 is in a different league, though granted the cost differential is no where near what they were. BMW actually makes some very tempting EVs now, the iX is much nicer in the metal than on paper, some good PCP available on them I believe.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Interesting read - Recently every time I get into my ICE car (Merc AMG E53 Wagon) I keep thinking to myself am I going to miss this interior, am I going to miss the sound! But then I think, I'm not going to miss putting ÂŁ450 of fuel in it every month which is used mostly for my daily 30miles round trip commute!

Also, I'm getting Solar / battery / charge point installed in October which should really help with the "cheap" charging. From my guesstimates I sould be better off per month with a MYP....if it ever arrives.

For us it wasn't just financials. (although that was the main driver, paying for 2 cars when we only really need one). I loved my e-class and didn't want it to go. When we test drove the Tesla I loved the minimalist interior, the tech and the drive. It felt so different to anything I drove before. We made a pretence of doing due diligence by looking at and test driving other cars but we were hooked on the MYP so figured we are going to have to electric at some point so why not now for us?

Looking at the cost of utilities now and what they will look like in Jan I am wondering if it is the right time to swap out my car?

I am currently driving a BMW 430d, had it from new, get over 600 miles from a 55 litre tank of fuel and it’s been dynoed at over 300bhp so no slouch.

If the price of electricity goes up to what they are predicting, what sort of cost would I be looking at for my 60 mile round trip to work and back? Will it still work out less than what I am paying in diesel?

I’m currently on a variable rate with British Gas for my electricity, have looked at octopus but their website is forever saying I can’t switch and if I am honest I wouldn’t know a good tariff from a bad one at the moment?

What’s peoples thoughts? I don’t know how to work out cost per mile for an EV so hard to compare? I also did an insurance quote last night even though not looking at getting the MY until Nov-Jan and that’s nearly £700 which is double what I’m paying for the 430.

Relative cost between the two vehicles will dwarf any fuel savings.

Teslas get a rough equal of 100 MPG. If you really need that, go there.

If you need 600 miles of range and can pay for 55L of Diesel - then do that.

$10k in car cost will support either decision for several years

Reactions: candida
Is this still true in the UK? It looks like (possibly US only) they started charging for all energy usage in Supercharging a while ago. Tesla updates Supercharger billing to add cost of electricity use for other than charging
Yes. The last time we used a SuC on the 15/6, I added 15kW to car, and was charged for 15kW.

That article doesn't actually change what I've said. 15kW went into the car, some of that might have been used to heat the battery or run the HVAC, etc, but I've only been charged for the 15kW that reached the car. Other chargers will bill you for what the CHARGER uses/loses.

For example CPS charged me for 21.34kW on one of their fast chargers, when only 20.2kW reached the car. All those losses in conversion, cable resistance, etc are paid for by you. There was another thread a while ago that discussed why this discourages suppliers from providing efficient chargers.

I like to think that the meter is at the end of the cable in a Tesla, but in the mains supply with other chargers.

Reactions: sc20
You should consider switching because it's a better car to own and drive. While I'm sure your BMW is a perfectly good car, it's from a generation ago.

1. Never visit a petrol station, every morning your car can have a full charge.
2. Having a mobile app to pre heat, pre-cool etc. before you get in
3. Massive acceleration that's easily useable, silently get to speed limits quickly.
4. World leading active safety features
5. An interior that is minimal but cool. Loads of storage space, charging etc.
6. AutoPilot that makes it far easier to drive long distances with comfort and safety.

Then, with all of that as your reasons you can add that it's more affordable to run and service.

Reactions: sc20 and EVMeister
Yes. The last time we used a SuC on the 15/6, I added 15kW to car, and was charged for 15kW.

That article doesn't actually change what I've said. 15kW went into the car, some of that might have been used to heat the battery or run the HVAC, etc, but I've only been charged for the 15kW that reached the car. Other chargers will bill you for what the CHARGER uses/loses.

For example CPS charged me for 21.34kW on one of their fast chargers, when only 20.2kW reached the car. All those losses in conversion, cable resistance, etc are paid for by you. There was another thread a while ago that discussed why this discourages suppliers from providing efficient chargers.

I like to think that the meter is at the end of the cable in a Tesla, but in the mains supply with other chargers.
Makes sense. I guess there was a time in the past when you were charged for kWh added to the battery rather than kWh added to the car.

With SuC you're now paying for your car's battery heating/cooling and other auxiliary usage, but not the Supercharger or cable's inefficiencies.

Makes sense. I guess there was a time in the past when you were charged for kWh added to the battery rather than kWh added to the car.

With SuC you're now paying for your car's battery heating/cooling and other auxiliary usage, but not the Supercharger or cable's inefficiencies.
Yes, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge amount. The charger inefficiencies are a lot worse.

Reactions: sc20
You can switch to octopus if you call them, but unless you have a compatible smart meter already then there is a wait to get on installed if your lucky on the variable tariff or unlucky one of the expensive fixes for an indefinite amount of time.

I tried to switch but as i have an older smart meter they won't replace it with a new one they only replace dumb meters with smart meters apparently, so come October i'll be paying 52p/kWh even at home until e.on decide to reintroduce their smart ev tariff. I can see me parking my car for hours at a time at the few remaining free chargers near me for a while ;)
It will be interesting in Scotland, my eon deal finishes in 3 weeks then I'm 28p. Come October I guess I'm the same as you.

I'll miss the 4p kWh...

In my council area however I can access 50 kw charge place Scotland network currently at 28p. I think there's also a free 22kw charger not that far away...

I'd be tempted with Octopus but E.on tried fitting a smart meter and failed 6 months ago (I'm in a town but the installer said it kept failing to connect)