Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is sitting in the car while being supercharged dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never have an issue with it....I just pop the frunk and put on proper attire....

9ADE2CA9-7B70-4F48-A2FB-3B5E8719C601.jpeg

Honestly i never supercharge so......

I'm honestly more cautious about having to walk across the parking lot than the car exploding. The spots are out in the far end of the lots to discourage ICEing but that comes with hazards. For example in Parsippany I have to walk across the gas station part of the Wawa, and in JFK I have to walk across two gas islands with crazy NYC cab drivers zipping in and out.

Reactions: GSP and PrGrPa
Hey no problem at all. I visit your supercharger a lot and will be glad to put your mind at ease. Just look for me. I'm a guy with bleeding nose and foam coming out of my mouth :rolleyes:
Bottom line, you should be more concerned about criminals that worried about what the car might do to you.

• Funny
Reactions: jlv1
Not knowing where to post this topic or if it has been posted in the past or if this is a silly question, but here goes: Is sitting in the car while it is being supercharged dangerous for people sitting in the car?

I know, stupid/silly question.

But since I am sitting in the car being supercharged, I might as well post this thread while waiting for another 30 minutes.

I just hope that I do not grow another testicle in the next few years.

Depends on the neighborhood, but that's what the conceal carry permits are for.

Is sitting in the car while it is being supercharged dangerous for people sitting in the car?

there is only 1 case that I know of where the supercharging caused a fire. it was in europe somewhere. it shorted out and burnt the car down to a crisp. happened a year or two ago. for this reason, if you're driving with kids and have to go pee or something at a supercharger, take them with you. I would never leave my kids in the car even for a minute. (I never do this anyway no matter what, but some people do I guess).

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I saw a post yesterday where a guy was robbed at gunpoint while charging at the Topeka KS supercharger at 3 am in the morning. The guy walked up to his car and showed his gun. Nothing he could do, since you can't drive off while the car is plugged in.
And that is what Sentry Mode is for. Or in this case where you’re in the vehicle, dashcam.

I saw a post yesterday where a guy was robbed at gunpoint while charging at the Topeka KS supercharger at 3 am in the morning. The guy walked up to his car and showed his gun. Nothing he could do, since you can't drive off while the car is plugged in.
And its one of the reasons why the wife wants a "panic" icon next to that sentry icon that she can press and hold for a couple sections to cause the horn and lights to flash. Right now she leans on the horn when anyone other than a Tesla driver comes toward her while she's in the car. Annoying, but so far it has kept a couple strange characters from continuing to approach and jus turn to walk away.

And its one of the reasons why the wife wants a "panic" icon next to that sentry icon that she can press and hold for a couple sections to cause the horn and lights to flash. Right now she leans on the horn when anyone other than a Tesla driver comes toward her while she's in the car. Annoying, but so far it has kept a couple strange characters from continuing to approach and jus turn to walk away.

That's not a bad idea, but the panic button could do so much more - start recording or uploading video, send messages to Tesla, call police over Bluetooth.

Some of it might be overkill for some situations, maybe you need a couple levels.

Reactions: Silicon Desert