Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Smart Summon mapping parking lots for fleet learning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is smart summon mapping out individual parking lot structure (islands, driving lanes, parking scheme, obstacles) and sending that data in for fleet learning? To me, it seems like every time a Tesla is summoned in a particular lot it can do a lot of collecting of where curbs are and how to get from point A-B. As it stands now it really has no idea how to navigate around islands (left vs. right) seems random.

I summoned about 15 times yesterday to play around and checked my Google Wi-Fi data and sure enough the car uploaded about 700mb of data which is about 10x the normal rate.

If this is the case, eventually Tesla needs to come out with a "heatmap" of all parking lots of the world showing the data collection of the particular lot so that we owners can go out and help them map out lots with little/no data.

The next question is...is this fleet data downloaded to the car upon initiation of smart summon? Presumably this map data would be several MB per parking lot which couldn't be included in a new firmware and would have to be downloaded each time.

My follow up question to that is what is the latency between me summoning my car and that fleet data being available for the next person? Instant, days, weeks, months?

If this is the case, we should be summoning diagonally across lots so that the car has a chance to map out all islands from different directions. As of now if it encounters a long island it will very often make the totally wrong choice and then "reach maximum distance".

Is smart summon mapping out individual parking lot structure (islands, driving lanes, parking scheme, obstacles) and sending that data in for fleet learning?
Doesn't make much sense to me. They can get commercial aerial/satellite images.

Infact if they want images/videos of parking lots much easier to get it from Tesla's being driven normally in parking lots. Much, Much more data than just summon.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Good question. I'm just wondering how on earth are the TESLA servers keeping this all working. I enjoy watching all the videos and never see any issue with connectivity of a server. To me, this is a major milestone. They must have some amazing servers. When using the come to me feature, you are also seeing data sent from vehicle to the phone as well.

Reactions: destructure00