Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is supply/cost going to get better or worse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nick77

Deep Blue Model 3 LR (2021 MIC)
Mar 15, 2020
Burton-on-Trent
So, as someone who looked at getting a TM3 last year, for those plans to be scuppered by the pandemic and not knowing job security, I've been shocked by how expensive they are now compared to back then.

Seems to be almost £5-10k more expensive from memory. The government EV Grant seems to be much less or disappeared, and the factory supply issues and increased demand are driving prices up even further.

Question is, is this ever going to settle back down again in the next 12 months, or is the demand for EVs going to mean prices continue to rise and rise?

I've settled on wanting a blue LR which is £49,590. There are some in inventory in London so probably 2-4 weeks wait on those (is that right?).

Any thoughts or advice would be great. I wish I'd just taken the plunge last year now though!

It's a crystal ball to guess prices. When the Berlin factory opens and MY production land for Europe I think we may find there's more excess capacity even if the MY isn;t made for the UK there. China have a love hate relationship with Tesla at the moment so demand could go up or down there. The arrival of the Texas factory at some point will create more supply too. There seems to be a shortage of cars but whether thats "selling all they can make" or "can't make all they want because of parts supply issues" is difficult to tell. More competition coming too, If you look at the simple supply/demand of these things, Tesla are bring on a lot more supplly, there's more compeition make car, but the market is growing fast - the question is which is growing more quickly?

As for delivery, if you buy an inventory car they will move heaven and earth to get you in it by the end of June to meet the quarter target,

Reactions: Nick77
Well, I doubt that the grant is going to come back. When I bought my LR M3 it cost about £52K before grant, so you are getting a bargain.

Ah yes that 10 days or so when the grant went and Tesla didn't match it, Used that example as why I should purchase my SR+ this Qtr rather than next.

(With Tesla matching the grant and Ford not Suddenly the Mach E entry-level car from being cheaper to more expensive)