Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla trying to become the absolute worst service organization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To answer the OP's original question -YES!! And it keeps getting worst!
This pains me greatly, I so much want this to be untrue because of how innovative and nice these cars are. Every chance my wife and I are at the Natick mall here in MA (we live right down the road in a town called Wellesley) I ALWAYS stop in to their showroom trying not to waste anyone's time, but just to sit in and admire these vehicles. In a perfect world I'd get both an S and X, the problem is we have 2 BMWs (X5 and 335 cabrio), both "older" i.e. 2013 and a 2009 in mint condition w/very low miles (84k and 59k respectively). She bought the cabrio for top down weather, so getting rid of it also gets rid of that functionality which she loves from April to late Oct. here. And the X5 really has been perfectly fine w/no issues and almost like new.

It's almost like all of these stories I read are helping to justify me holding off, plus I'm cheap and can't imagine pulling say $50k out in my 40s and still having a $700/mo. payment for 5 years, lol!

Don't, the car is fantastic and there is little reason to go to the service center. No real maintenance required and like I posted above, my service center has been great the times I have been there.
This. But the only issues I see are, what if your service center isn't good or responsive to your issues? Tesla can't be sending techs across state lines to come fix them otherwise and most people only have one option at best for repair near them. Most ICE companies have anywhere from 5 to 50 to choose from if you're unhappy with the closest one.

I believe Elon is attempting to change the culture of the auto industry by operating the entire business, including service, through automation. I don’t have a problem with this approach if the automation exists and works well. You can’t just stop the old service model without a working new automated model without alienating customers. Humans require timely and accurate communication and if they don’t get it then they loose confidence and resort to negative speculation. This is frustrating for all parties and creates distrust. I understand Elon’s desire to do things differently, but he should not loose sight of the fact that car buyers are human beings and will respond accordingly.
Exactly, because we know that inevitably a lot of these lux ICE brands will simply take the Tesla model, esp. the mobile app piece and simply improve on it because they have the money, experience and trust of their existing clientbase.

Exactly, because we know that inevitably a lot of these lux ICE brands will simply take the Tesla model, esp. the mobile app piece and simply improve on it because they have the money, experience and trust of their existing clientbase.

The ICE manufacturers operate the dealer model because it makes a ton of money. The cost of service is built into the car and dealers get to charge service back to the manufacturer. They will gladly take your car in and fix everything under warranty in a timely manner because the car company pays them too. It behooves them to provide excellent service, especially the luxury brands because you’ll lease 5 cars in a row in 10 years. MB and BMW have that figured out.

The ICE manufacturers operate the dealer model because it makes a ton of money. The cost of service is built into the car and dealers get to charge service back to the manufacturer. They will gladly take your car in and fix everything under warranty in a timely manner because the car company pays them too. It behooves them to provide excellent service, especially the luxury brands because you’ll lease 5 cars in a row in 10 years. MB and BMW have that figured out.

It also saves a ton of money. All dealerships invest in sales and service staff and facilities, allowing the mfg to focus on building vehicles. Furthermore, the competition between dealerships puts a cap on their costs and forces them to improve their services. Tesla has no such pressure to do better since they own the entire chain.

I have been reading threads like this for almost a year since I bought my Used MS from Tesla.

One ranger visit, no major problems but the experience was only fair.

One SC visit, and it was superb. First thing the SC rep said was, "Don't worry, we will take good care of your baby". And they did!

I know this is not true for many, but I believe visiting a SC first before you have service is helpful. For Socal residents, I visited 4 SC's before I chose the one in Santa Barbara. For me, far away, but well worth the drive.

Reactions: liuping
I crossed my 1 year anniversary as a Tesla Model 3 owner on 9/15/2019

I am very happy with my car (so far problem free) but I do dread the day I have to need service because I live in rural part of South Fort Worth and the nearest service center is near Lovefield Airport in North Dallas.

There's a third SC coming to the DFW area, in Fort Worth.

It's just a 1/4 mile south of the "car dealer row" on White Settlement Road, IIRC.

Hope it opens soon, but in the interim, Mobile Service is the bee's knees!

it's so funny hearing you all finally relenting about how dealerships may not have been so bad after all...

this time, even last year, you were all extolling the wonders of Elon for owning the whole chain.

now look where this got us.

note: I grew up in a family run dealership. I've seen the good and bad. but dealerships exist for a reason. do you think someone else didnt think of this before.

Tesla makes an interesting car. and I like mine. but my god, half of you are braindead.

To be fair, about a year ago it was looking like it might actually work out okay. Laying off like half the service teams across the country is looking like a death blow to the quality of service across the board. The fact that job openings at Tesla are up 33% now, with many of them in service, shows they realize the mistake. It could be too late.

Reactions: kavyboy
it's so funny hearing you all finally relenting about how dealerships may not have been so bad after all...

this time, even last year, you were all extolling the wonders of Elon for owning the whole chain.

now look where this got us.

note: I grew up in a family run dealership. I've seen the good and bad. but dealerships exist for a reason. do you think someone else didnt think of this before.

Tesla makes an interesting car. and I like mine. but my god, half of you are braindead.

Tesla used to have the best customer support. Literally no one could top how amazing their service centers and support was.

Now it seems they are cost cutting. Many of the people that buy a luxury 80k + car enjoy the exceptional customer service that usually comes with that. I don't know how many older people would like the fact that they cant reach a real human being. Im not even that old and I am getting frustrated with it.

Things better change soon.

Tesla used to have the best customer support. Literally no one could top how amazing their service centers and support was.

I don’t think that was entirely true. Yes, they allocated large amounts of resources toward solving the owners’ issues but higher end dealerships do the same to their more valued customers. Tesla seemed to do that for everyone, but then every Tesla owner had actually bought a high-dollar vehicle and would have been considered a higher-value customer in a regular dealership.

What no other mfg could top was the enthusiasm of early Tesla owners. Cheering for the disruptor, being part of the “revolution” and being reasonably pampered in the process would have easily created the perception that the service experience was unparalleled.

My recent Service Center experience just says that Tesla needs to expand the SC network. I know it is hard to find good people to man those centers, but they are out there. In Jacksonville, FL they also need more delivery and prep folks, along with a much bigger lot.

The tesla semi is looking more and more like a pipe dream.
No business will accept this kind of service.
When a truck goes down not only are you losing a lot of money but the driver of that truck is not making money.
They will need dedicated facilities for the semi. No way will current service centers accommodate a vehicle that large. I suspect most Semi repair will occur at the owners own facilities anyway.

I'm experiencing the terrible customer service and I don't even have 10 miles on my Model 3 yet. The car arrived with a back bumper that looks like it was painted in a dirty parking lot and a dinged front rim. Getting the Rockville, MD SC to respond to calls or emails is nearly impossible. Finally, after harassing them all day long and leaving voicemails, emails, calls they EMAILED me back to confirm that they are going to replace the parts. Answer the ****ing phone and provide customer service. I'm a brand new customer with a brand new 60 thousand dollar car! Can you imagine that they're providing this service to someone who owns a 100K Model X or S?

I thought I'd update this to let people know how it went. I took the car into the Rockville, MD SC this morning for a 10:15AM appointment to replace the rear bumper and passenger side wheel as they were both damaged upon delivery. I arrived a little early, at 10:00AM or so and they took the car in, no problem. I was out the door at about 11:20 with a brand new bumper installed, brand new wheel, and they also took care of an issue with the trim for me as well without argument. They're busy over there but they took care of the issue quickly and politely. They made it right.

Now it seems they are cost cutting. Many of the people that buy a luxury 80k + car enjoy the exceptional customer service that usually comes with that. I don't know how many older people would like the fact that they cant reach a real human being. Im not even that old and I am getting frustrated with it.

Things better change soon.
the release of model 3 changed everything...so disheartening. Tesla is going for a unique company with unique cars to the chevy of ev. Even chevy has better service though.

Reactions: DCEV
This pains me greatly, I so much want this to be untrue because of how innovative and nice these cars are. Every chance my wife and I are at the Natick mall here in MA (we live right down the road in a town called Wellesley) I ALWAYS stop in to their showroom trying not to waste anyone's time, but just to sit in and admire these vehicles. In a perfect world I'd get both an S and X, the problem is we have 2 BMWs (X5 and 335 cabrio), both "older" i.e. 2013 and a 2009 in mint condition w/very low miles (84k and 59k respectively). She bought the cabrio for top down weather, so getting rid of it also gets rid of that functionality which she loves from April to late Oct. here. And the X5 really has been perfectly fine w/no issues and almost like new.

It's almost like all of these stories I read are helping to justify me holding off, plus I'm cheap and can't imagine pulling say $50k out in my 40s and still having a $700/mo. payment for 5 years, lol!
Consumers Reports just gave Tesla 1st place in Owner Satisfaction, above even Porsche. I have no doubt some people here have had service issues, but lets keep it in perspective. The same could be said of other brands too on occasion. Some SCs are better than others. I have had only good experiences with the local SC.

I've started to have the same experience of indifferent service. After bringing my Model S in for the yellow screen perimeter that has become common, (our loaner had the same yellow screen), a text was sent saying if I had any questions to text back or call. The SC had the car for two days so I tried to contact them both ways, to no avail. I continued to try contacting them, but finally went in again on the 5th day to get an answer/update. In person they were apologetic, and said they were overwhelmed! Also told that the person who took our car when we brought it in had been out for a few days, and no one else had been assigned... Our car was still in the waiting line after five days! We had to come back again the following day to get our car.

Part of our beginning concern was a text from the loaner agency that warned of a $100/day charge if not returned in time. I originally wondered if the SC might have forgotten to contact us which could lead to rental charges?

I must add that to the credit of the employees when spoken to in person respond by trying to be helpful, and went on to fix other small items. Just shouldn't have to drive a half hour each way to get an update!