Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the cost of PPF worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my white MYLR and am struggling with the decision to do a (Front) PPF.
Costs over $1800 with Taxes in canada.
I have owned a number of cars, including Luxury brands, and never had PPF on any. Yes they did get little chips and blips but it never bothered me or the buyers and dealers I sold the cars to.

For those who decided NOT to PPF, do you have any regrets?

For those who decided NOT to PPF, do you have any regrets?
None here (no regrets for buying ppf since I never did it for any other car I had, including almost 20 years of bmws).

I have owned a number of cars, including Luxury brands, and never had PPF on any. Yes they did get little chips and blips but it never bothered me or the buyers and dealers I sold the cars to.

This sounds like you already answered your question. If you never PPFed "luxury brand" cars you own, why would you do this one? Some people are bothered by road chips and stuff and others are not.

You mention you didnt do PPF on luxury brand cars you owned, so you already made that decision several times previously it sounds like. you should do what you have always done, which is what I always recommend to people when they ask this question. If you PPFed your other cars and it made you happy, do this one. If you didnt do your other cars, then dont do this one.

None here (no regrets for buying ppf since I never did it for any other car I had, including almost 20 years of bmws).

This sounds like you already answered your question. If you never PPFed "luxury brand" cars you own, why would you do this one? Some people are bothered by road chips and stuff and others are not.

You mention you didnt do PPF on luxury brand cars you owned, so you already made that decision several times previously it sounds like. you should do what you have always done, which is what I always recommend to people when they ask this question. If you PPFed your other cars and it made you happy, do this one. If you didnt do your other cars, then dont do this one.
Thanks for your input.
The reason I asked was because people are complaining about "soft" paint on Teslas.

The other cars I mentioned were both Lexuses (Lexii?) and yes, there were a couple of chips after a few years on the road, which I applied a touch-up paint to.

Did it myself, so yes, for me it is/was.
Front bumper $100 - Amazon.com
Side fenders $50. (I think wife ordered the 'tesla' ones).
= $150. the front bumper is a magnet for bugs/stones, and the side fenders will look sand blasted if u don't PPF them.

Would I pay $1800 for the same? Hellz no.

• Informative
Reactions: DrDiesel1
Lots of brands, notably Japanese, have soft paint - not just Tesla.

"We have come to learn that manufacturers like Audi, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Volkswagen, BMW, and Mercedes typically have hard paint, and Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus (most Japanese manufacturers), and Porsche have soft paints."

I put PPF on the front of my MY (DIY, it's easy), to avoid the worst of the chips, but that's good enough for me. Like others have said, not sure why you'd opt for PPF on a Tesla if you didn't on luxury brands you've owned before...

• Informative
Reactions: Visvism
Soft paint or not, when I solid object like a rock is flying back at you while you’re doing 80 it’s going to do damage. There’s no paint in the world that will hold up to it. Rocks probably hitting your car at 120+mph.

I PPF’d my 21 LR, rocks, bugs, hub caps, misc debris has hit my car and PPF got scuffed and was buffed. What I will say about PPF is edges are visible in some spots so that can other you but ultimately my car looks brand new and it has 70k miles on it. Lots of highway driving so if it was not protected it’d be destroyed.

I agree if you can DIY, sure try it out. Cost outlay is negligible. It might even be a fun little project. Heck you can replace 'em every 5 years!
I think PPF/Clear bra/3M wrap whatever used to be called is probably due to the fact that EVs no longer have grilles. Then again, damaging engine parts (ie radiator) is probably worse than some chips off the paint.

I'm curious to know if these PPF will discolor over the years.

I struggled with the same question for weeks. Ultimately I'm happy I chose to skip PPF. Yes I have rock chips but the only time I see them is when I'm washing the car. In day-to-day usage and walking up to the car I don't notice at all. Save yourself the money.

I paid $2000 for front end all door sills rails all the way back. As still have 2 chips, one was ha large rock which hit hard and chipped the hood can’t imbibe what it would be like without the 2k is a mental game once you do it and absorb the cost you’ll be glad you did it. Just do the front bumper and part of the hood and mirrors should be 1k

2018 Model 3, 71K miles, black. No PPF. I’ve driven on a number of unpaved roads over the years.

There’s maybe one spot on the hood that is showing some primer (very small), it’s not noticeable unless you’re really looking for it. Nothing touchup paint can’t fix.

I don’t see the value of it..

Is it worth it? Depends on how much you care about keeping the car looking nice and clean all the time.

I get full PPF so that whenever I wash the car (frequently), it’s easier and quicker to clean, and I don’t need to ever worry about swirl marks. Of course, it helps to prevent 99% of chips on the front due to rocks and stuff on the freeway. I don’t worry as much driving behind trucks that could kick bacj rocks and debris.

Reactions: holmgang and xcyber
For $15 I'm unlikely to get silicon dioxide and titanium dioxide? Is it unobtanium that can only be extracted from indigenous tribes?
Don’t even start with that crap. You probably paid for the Turtle Wax spray that has the word “ceramic coating” on the label. Spouting out chemicals from the periodic table doesn’t make your case for $15 ceramic coating any better.

Reactions: olsookie